MLF and PHP 8 (Bugs)

by Auge ⌂, Monday, January 31, 2022, 14:58 (809 days ago) @ Tommy Nilsson

Hello

Do you plan to release a version of my little forum compatible with PHP 8 ?

Any news on this issue?

In one word: yes, ... but not as we once planned it (with a fixed number of features). There are a few half baked features that will it not make into the next releases and possibly will never see the light of a being part of a stable release. I'm in a deep motivation hole and so I work only every few months on the code base and also Micha seems to be not motivated enough to work on it.

I worked on the link-target-feature in the latest few weeks (not everything is pushed to Github and therefore not publicly visible). If the work on that feature has finished (needs further work by Micha) I will release a next release with the then up-to-date code base. I know, Micha did the whole work to make MLF PHP-8-aware and he uses a forum with a quite up-to-date code base. So I hope I can assume the current code base to be fairly stable (beside the currently not commited code). If he had found issues, he would have solved them.

After that, that was the arrangement, we will change the version scheme to a date based scheme and every new feature or independent working subfeature will lead to a new version. Everyone will be able to see in the first sight, when the latest version was released.

This has the advantage of being able to release features independent from other work. As experience shows is a fixed plan advantageous in the sense of having a defined goal but without the motivation to put the plan into effect *in a straight manner* it is more a deterrent wall than anything else.

So we would be able to say "let's implement and test this one thing" and to release a version without any interference with anything else, that have been left undone. The pull request history shows (especially in the latest two to three years) that there are several fixes that could be published since ages.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread