Abandonment of the implementation of manual approval of posts (General)

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, July 11, 2024, 08:12 (99 days ago) @ J k

Hello

You'd better end the project because it makes no sense if nobody is able to provide an update.

German version below/deutsche Version unten.

You're absolutely right. I will stop working on this function immediately and will only incorporate the fixes for errors from other features that were implemented during the so far done work into the main branch. I was persuaded to add the function and now realise that it was a mistake to start implementing it in the first place.

Firstly, in my opinion, which I expressed from the outset [footnote 1], the function is nonsensical for a forum and is not required at any point by the DSA of the EU, which was cited as the cause.

Secondly, while working on the function, it turned out that many other features are affected by this function (to name the most complex: subscriptions, spam filter features). These "side issues" that keep cropping up again and again keep putting pressure on my motivation to continue working on it.

Thirdly, I implement this function practically alone and instead of reading anything motivating here, I only see demands, affirmations of demands, pushing and nagging. And all this, predominantly or even exclusively, from usernames I have never met here in the forum, which makes me suspect that at least some sock puppets are involved here.

It would be so easy to ask what is standing in the way of completion or, if you can, to read through the existing code and point out inadequacies and errors or simply encourage people to continue. None of this happened.

Fourthly, the pressure exerted here to implement this anti-feature almost immediately unnecessarily delayed the publication of the bug fixes, functions and improvements that have already been added since the last release – which in my opinion partly devalues the work that has been done on it – and on the other hand, I missed the time that was burnt in the process to tackle improvements that were actually necessary and had already been requested some time ago or to simply enjoy my rare spare time.

My conclusion: If you want to run a publication organ and want to check all comments before publication, please run a blog software or follow the advice of Myran and run a guestbook.

Who wants to run a discussion forum has mandatory to provide the ressources for moderation what makes this antifeature simply unnecessary. This is already non-optional, with or without an approval feature.

mostly translated with DeepL.com (free version)

################################

Du hast absolut recht. Ich werde die Arbeit an dieser Funktion sofort einstellen und werde nur die bei der bis jetzt erfolgten Implementierung behobenen Fehler anderer Features in den Main-Branch übernehmen. Ich habe mich dazu breitschlagen lassen, die Funktion einzubauen und sehe mittlerweile ein, dass es ein Fehler war, überhaupt mit der Implementierung zu beginnen.

Erstens ist die Funktion, meiner von Anfang an geäußerten Meinung [Fußnote 2] nach, für ein Forum unsinnig und vom ursächlich angeführten DSA der EU an keiner Stelle gefordert. Ich kenne auch keine andere Foren- oder Nachrichten-Board-Software, die eine solche Freigabefunktion enthält.

Zweitens stellte sich bei der Arbeit an der Funktion heraus, dass von dieser Funktion viele andere Funktionen betroffen sind (um die aufwendigsten zu nennen: Abonnements, Spam-Filter). Diese immer wieder auftauschenden "Nebenkriegsschauplätze" drücken immer wieder auf meine Motivation, daran weiterzuarbeiten.

Drittens implementiere ich diese Funktion so gut wie allein und anstatt hier irgendetwas motivierendes zu lesen, sehe ich ausschließlich Forderungen, Bekräftigungen der Forderungen, drängeln und nörgeln. Und alles das, vorwiegend oder gar ausschließlich, von Benutzernamen, denen ich hier im Forum noch nie begegnet bin, was mich vermuten lässt, dass hier zumindest einige Sockenpuppen beteiligt sind.

Dabei wäre es so einfach, danach zu fragen, was der Fertigstellung im Wege steht oder, falls man es kann, den schon vorhandenen Code querzulesen und auf Unzulänglichkeiten und Fehler hinzuweisen oder auch einfach nur Mut zum weitermachen auszusprechen. Nichts davon ist passiert.

Viertens wurde durch den hier ausgeübten Druck, dieses Antifeature quasi sofort zu implementieren, einerseits die Veröffentlichung der seit dem letzten Release bereits hinzugekommenen Fehlerbehebungen, Funktionen und Verbesserungen unnötig herausgezögert – was die dafür geleistete Arbeit meiner Meinung nach ein Stück weit entwertet – und andererseits hat mir die dabei verbrannte Lebenszeit gefehlt, um tatsächlich notwendige und schon vor längerer Zeit erfragte Verbesserungen anzugehen oder einfach nur um meine rare Freizeit zu genießen.

Mein Fazit: Wer ein Verlautbarungsorgan betreiben will und alle Kommentare vor der Veröffentlichung prüfen will, möge ein Blog betreiben oder dem Rat von Myran folgen und ein Gästebuch anbieten.

Wer ein Diskussionsforum betreiben will, muss zwingend die Ressourcen für die Moderation bereithalten, die dieses Antifeature schlicht unnötig macht. Das ist sowieso unentbehrlich, Freigabefunktion hin oder her.

Tschö, Auge

[1]: My opinion about it in english (see therefore also [2])
[2]: Meine Meinung dazu auf deutsch (siehe dazu auch [1])

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread