Site Slow After Server Migration (General)

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, August 13, 2022, 15:24 (593 days ago) @ Magma

Hi Magma,

Do you know if there are any problems using the free Cloudflare plan with MLF script?

I don’t think so, though I’m using a heavily modified v1.8 of mlf. I’m on Cloudflare since December 2019. Some hints:

• You have to move the nameserves to Cloudflare (CF). Depends on how responsive your ISP is. In my case it took a day.
  • Only static content is mirrored/cached. On my site I safe roughly ⅓ of traffic.

[image]
  • Whether the response is faster than from the previous ISP or not depends on your ‘audience’. On my site I have members of 83 countries. Based on the IP CF makes an educated guess from where the request originates and serves – mostly – from the closest mirror. Mostly because the current server load is also taken into account. If the request comes from Germany and the mirror in Frankfurt is busy, you might get the content from London. When I was in New Zealand two years ago, I set up a small test page. One hosted at my ISP in Austria and the other mirrored at CF. Down Under the difference was substantial – up to ten times faster. Since the majority of my users and visitors come from Asia, important for me.
    On the other hand, if your audience is mainly located in Europe, I’m not sure whether it’s worth the effort.
  • A nice side-effect: Though I’m using my private scripts for spam-protection, since I’m on CF registration-attempts by bots and script kiddies went down by 30%. Not surprising cause one of the founders of CF was previously with BotScout. Furthermore, there are many useful settings in CF’s firewall.
  • I suggest to set up a cookie-free subdomain (e.g., static.example.com). If have there the *.css, *.js, icons, my private photo collection, you name it.
  • All the usual stuff (even if you don’t use CF) helps: Minimize the number of requests. I started with 30 and finally was down at 10 (now 13). Preload images which are not in the CSS. Same with scripts if possible or with the defer-attribute… Requires some experimentation.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Tags:
CDN

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread