Navigation links directly in the display of single post (General)

by Auge ⌂, Friday, January 16, 2015, 10:12 (3388 days ago) @ L.Willms

Hello

When the tree of a thread gets large, navigation to the next message in the tree view might become quite cumbersome.

Have a look at this thread on the ICE-Treff forum as an example.

*Pfft* 159 entries for the thread. thats nearly nothing! ;-)

I know a forum where a "hot" thread can have 400 to 600 postings. And there occurs an additional problem, when some branches itself gets so many answers, that you have to scroll to the right, even if you use your browser in full screen mode on a full-HD-resolution-monitor.

That's UX-complexity in it's best! :-)

To navigate to the replies to a message, one has to scroll up and down to find the appropriate branch of the tree, which then moves the message just read out of sight.

Ok, let's define "last" and "next".

In a branch, where one posting is an answer to another posting, "last" and "next" is well defined. When I posted an answer, the "last" posting is the one I answered and the "next" is the answer to mine.

But, look at this one. It is an answer to another posting but itself has no answer/no child/no next. On the other hand it has a sibling posting. This one seems to be the substituted "next" one.

I linked to the single posting view with the thread tree underneath the posting. The nested view of the postings follows the composition of this thread tree. On the other hand in this view one posting follows to the other without need of links.

Same in a hypothetical board view. Is there a possibility to show the thread in a board styled view like in version 1.x? Board view would have a date-of-posting-sorting that could differ from the composition of the threaded and nested views.

It would be helpful, if MLF could provide direkt links to the direct neighbor nodes in the tree, both the one upward as all the nodes downward, i.e. the replies.

All in all (after discussion about the details) a good idea.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread