What is the Procedure for Updating? (General)

by Magma, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 00:57 (2683 days ago)

My mind has gone blank, I'm sure it told me in the admin how to update in previous versions. I'm on 2.3.6.1 and want to update to 2.3.7

I've downloaded the 2.3.7 folder, I've gone to my admin then clicked Update

All it says is:

How to update
•Clear the directory templates_c (delete all files in this dirctory) after you have added/replaced the files/folders

No update files available.

It doesn't explain how to update. Do I have to upload the complete folder or certain files to start with.

Can you give me the exact update procedure again?

What is the Procedure for Updating?

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 09:17 (2683 days ago) @ Magma

Hello Magma

My mind has gone blank, I'm sure it told me in the admin how to update in previous versions. I'm on 2.3.6.1 and want to update to 2.3.7

I hoped to be able to point you to the wiki but, as I see now, is there no description of the update process.

I've downloaded the 2.3.7 folder, I've gone to my admin then clicked Update

It doesn't explain how to update. Do I have to upload the complete folder or certain files to start with.

Can you give me the exact update procedure again?

Ok, a basic structure for the wiki page (footnotes ([x]) for future use). Please read it carefully and ask here before you start the update, if there is anything unclear for you.

1. upload of update/update_2.x_2.3.php and update/update.sql [1]
2. reload of the update page in the admin area, now you should see a link to the update file update/update_2.x_2.3.php
3. follow the link, in a first step the script adds all changes to the database tables
4. after the database update, the page shows the list of files that have to be updated or (not so good) error messages [2]
5. upload all listed directories and files [3]
6. If the update needed writing access to the file config/db_settings.php (not needed in the update from 2.3.6.1 to 2.3.7), revoke the writing right for the file (reset it to 644)
7. remove the files from the directory update, check for files int the directory install; if there are files poresent, remove them too

As last open the settings page, go to the advanced settings and check the setting version. In a installation of the version 2.3.7 from scratch you would find the value 2.3.6.1. After an update you should see the correct value 2.3.7. Please report.

Tschö, Auge

[1] Beginning with 2.4 a new update file (update/update_2.3.5_2.4.php) and the additional file config/VERSION has to be uploaded.
[2] A common message would be to make the file config/db_settings.php writeable because of stuff like new tables. (no new tables in an update from 2.3.6.1 to 2.3.7)
[3] Consider the following: if the script tells you for a plugin, to upload the complete directory, delete the old directory of the plugin and replace it with the one from the new version.

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

What is the Procedure for Updating?

by Magma, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 11:37 (2683 days ago) @ Auge

Thanks for taking the time for that explanation. I updated no problems.

New: wiki page for the update procedure

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 11:38 (2683 days ago) @ Magma

Hello Magma

I added a wiki page with a description of the update process. Additional to the in the other forum entry descripted points the points disabling/reenabling the forum and handling of the caching directory templates_c was added.

I hope, the process is clear now. If not, please ask your questions.

Tschö, Auge

--

temp_block_ip_after _repeated_failed_logins

by Magma, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 18:12 (2683 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Magma, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 18:36

Can I just ask about the subject title

I looked at the wiki I am unsure. I want it set to a block time of 30 minutes after 3 invalid logins.

0 is disabled
Do I just put 30 in the box? Or do I put the symbol and number >30?

I tried both and it's not blocking me after trying 3 invalid logins.

Just to add, If I put 1 in the box it does block me for 1 minute. Is it that above a certain number it no longer works?

Still confused

by Magma, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 23:16 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

No I just do not understand this in the wiki for temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins

new behaviour (since 2.3.7 - ) 0 = disabled / >0 = blocking time in minutes (enabled)

No matter what I set it to it only blocks for around a minute :lookaround:

Still confused

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 08:33 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

No I just do not understand this in the wiki for temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins

new behaviour (since 2.3.7 - ) 0 = disabled / >0 = blocking time in minutes (enabled)

The message is clear. Set it to 1 and the user will beblocked for one minute, set it to 15 and the user will be blocked for fifteen minutes.

No matter what I set it to it only blocks for around a minute :lookaround:

Ok, there seems to be anything broken. Do you find the following code lines in the includes/login.inc.php?

// a value greater than zero is interpreted as time in minutes.
if($settings['temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins'] > 0)

… and …

@mysqli_query($connid, "DELETE FROM ".$db_settings['login_control_table']." WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL (SELECT CONVERT(`value`,UNSIGNED INTEGER) FROM ".$db_settings['settings_table']." WHERE `name` = 'temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins') MINUTE)");

And a second question. Do you have activated the automatic login in the settings and for the disputable user accounts?

Tschö, Auge

--

Still confused

by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 11:48 (2682 days ago) @ Auge

Yes I do find the code lines you posted in includes/login.inc.php

I have automatic login enabled in the admin advanced settings. This problem happens with all user accounts whether they have automatic login ticked or not ticked within their user settings.

Within the admin advanced serttings
If I put 0 in the box failed login is disabled
If I put 1 in the box failed login works for 1 minute

If I put any other number in the box failed login does not block.

Could I try replacing the includes/login.inc.php file with the includes/login.inc.php from the 2.3.7 folder again :confused:

Still confused

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:06 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Yes I do find the code lines you posted in includes/login.inc.php

For clarification: Do you find the code in the file on the server or in your unzipped copy on your computer?

I have automatic login enabled in the admin advanced settings. This problem happens with all user accounts whether they have automatic login ticked or not ticked within their user settings.

Within the admin advanced serttings
If I put 0 in the box failed login is disabled
If I put 1 in the box failed login works for 1 minute

If I put any other number in the box failed login does not block.

Ok.

Please check the content of the mlf2_settings-table. Sometimes it occurs, that a few or all settings will be doubled during an update or a new installation with a backup of the data of an old installation. So please look for two or more lines with the same value for the column name. Maybe there are two lines for the setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins.

Could I try replacing the includes/login.inc.php file with the includes/login.inc.php from the 2.3.7 folder again :confused:

Yes, that's not a problem.

Tschö, Auge

--

Still confused

by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:19 (2682 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:33

For clarification: Do you find the code in the file on the server or in your unzipped copy on your computer?

I find the code in the file on the server. I just did a code compare of the file on the server and the file from the 2.3.7 folder and they were exactly the same.

Please check the content of the mlf2_settings-table.

Ok I found the mlf2_settings in phpmyadmin and I see no double entries?

Still confused

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:41 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

I find the code in the file on the server. I just did a code compare of the file on the server and the file from the 2.3.7 folder and they were exactly the same.

Ok, thank you.

Please check the content of the mlf2_settings-table.

Ok I found the mlf2_settings in phpmyadmin and I see no double entries?

Ok, then we seems to have a problem with the code base.

You know, how to increase the time limit in the code. :-)

Please alter the code yourself as an interim solution until we have patched the bug.

Tschö, Auge

--

Still confused

by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 12:56 (2682 days ago) @ Auge

Please alter the code yourself as an interim solution until we have patched the bug.

What do I change in the code though it's all changed since 2.3.6.1

Still confused, me too

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 13:40 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

What do I change in the code though it's all changed since 2.3.6.1

Sorry, when my question is a bit rude, but ... Are you kidding me?

You asked for a change of the time limit only two months ago. You got a solution at that time and you confirmed that it works as you expected. What's the problem to adapt this solution for the actual version 2.3.7, where you have only to change one line of code (the one with the questionable database query) as you did in september 2016?

Sorry, but your question is very perplexing for me.

Tschö, Auge

--

Still confused, me too

by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 14:28 (2682 days ago) @ Auge

Hey I'm not offended in the slightest. It's just that I'm a novice, I never saw " WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL 10 MINUTE)" in the code of 2.3.7 but I will take another look later.

In return, not to be rude to you guys but sometimes it would be better if you treated questioners as baby novices who have no clue about code and just tell us to change this code to this code and actually write the code out. Instead of writing sentences of riddles while thinking we're all coders.

But for now, peace, love and unity :-)

Still confused, me too

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 15:22 (2682 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Hey I'm not offended in the slightest. It's just that I'm a novice, I never saw " WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL 10 MINUTE)" in the code of 2.3.7 but I will take another look later.

This code is not part of the version 2.3.7. It's the part of code, you altered in september to the value, you wished (WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL <<<number of minutes>>> MINUTE)). After your thread from september we changed the behaviour and with it, the code to WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL (SELECT CONVERT(`value`,UNSIGNED INTEGER) FROM ".$db_settings['settings_table']." WHERE `name` = 'temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins') MINUTE)").

The part (SELECT CONVERT(`value`,UNSIGNED INTEGER) FROM ".$db_settings['settings_table']." WHERE `name` = 'temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins') makes the difference and I thought that you can see this. The query in the file login.inc.php, line #41 has to be commentd and a new query with your own time limit has to be putted aside.

// comment the code in the line 41 with the prefix "//":
   //@mysqli_query($connid, "DELETE FROM ".$db_settings['login_control_table']." WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL (SELECT CONVERT(`value`,UNSIGNED INTEGER) FROM ".$db_settings['settings_table']." WHERE `name` = 'temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins') MINUTE)");
// insert a new line with the corrected query with your own limit (example: 20 minutes):
   @mysqli_query($connid, "DELETE FROM ".$db_settings['login_control_table']." WHERE time < (NOW()-INTERVAL 20 MINUTE)");

As an additional task: Please inspect the tables mlf2_logincontrol and mlf2_settings with phpMyAdmin. Which value has the setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins? Are there data rows in the table mlf2_logincontrol and, if yes, with which values?

Thank you.

In return, not to be rude to you guys but sometimes it would be better if you treated questioners as baby novices who have no clue about code and just tell us to change this code to this code and actually write the code out. Instead of writing sentences of riddles while thinking we're all coders.

Sorry for my rudeness. You adapted not only one or two parts of code in the last years you were around here. Thatswhy I didn't thought that it would be a riddle for you.

Tschö, Auge

--

Still confused, me too

by Magma, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 21:36 (2681 days ago) @ Auge

I reverted back to the 2.3.6.1 way and it works now.

As an additional task: Please inspect the tables mlf2_logincontrol and mlf2_settings with phpMyAdmin. Which value has the setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins? Are there data rows in the table mlf2_logincontrol and, if yes, with which values?

Mlf2_settings temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins had a value of 30.
mlf2_logincontrol I would have to check later.

Thanks for your help.

I *think*, I found the reason

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 08:12 (2681 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Ok.

Please do that. I expect no content in this table, even if you try to log in with wrong login credentials several times (in version 2.3.7) and reload the table view in phpMyAdmin afterwards. Exception should be with setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins and the value 1. See therefor also issue #102.

Tschö, Auge

--

issue solved, will be part of the next release

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:46 (2681 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

I have tested the issue and pushed a solution that will be part in the next version.

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread