How to sort Sticky topics ? (General)

by Jean-Michel @, Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 19:41 (3824 days ago)

The regular topics are sorted by alphabetic order

The sticky topics are always on top BUT they are sorted another way : most recent on top (?)

I want to to sort the sticky ones following my own choice. For instance, I want a "welcome" topic to be always the first topic...

- Is this possibility foreseen ?
- Or do I have to change a value in the database? e.g. Is it related to the tid value in table "entries"?

Kind regards,

Jean-Michel

How to sort Sticky topics ?

by Mad, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 13:25 (3823 days ago) @ Jean-Michel

I don't think it's possible to make specific sticky to be on top.

What you can do is create a page in Admin panel. And in the main template, add the link to page, right on top of all the topics. This way it will always be there, and you can decorate welcome link however you want.

if you need help, I will write step by step.

by grognard, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 14:36 (3823 days ago) @ Mad

I don't think it's possible to make specific sticky to be on top.

What you can do is create a page in Admin panel. And in the main template, add the link to page, right on top of all the topics. This way it will always be there, and you can decorate welcome link however you want.

if you need help, I will write step by step.

Yeah its really frustrating how stickies 'travel'. I wish we could set the order and/or truly fix them as is so simply done in other forum software/s.

by Mad, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 16:00 (3823 days ago) @ grognard

Aw, i see what you guys mean. On other forums Sticky Threads arrange by date, the latest sticky post goes on top and so on.

by Jean-Michel @, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 18:59 (3823 days ago) @ Mad

Aw, i see what you guys mean. On other forums Sticky Threads arrange by date, the latest sticky post goes on top and so on.

Ok, so the default sorting is by date posted.
Now, is there a possibility to change this from within the admin console?
If not, can a workaround be that we play with the values from the database table [entries]? Which field? tid? date?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

by mad, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 22:56 (3823 days ago) @ Jean-Michel

yea, it would be easier if they were sorted by id. But, here is the thing, I bet you can go in database and change the date or a year to, lets say 2050, this way it will always be on top. I will look in to this, tomorrow and let you know.

I haven't looked at how topics were stored in there, yet.

by Mad, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 23:01 (3823 days ago) @ mad
edited by Mad, Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 23:10

Ok, i just did it like I said. I just tested it and it worked. Change the date in database.

This way you can set your sticky threads how you want it.

If you need more explanation, let me know. i will write step by step!

by Jean-Michel, Friday, November 15, 2013, 21:32 (3821 days ago) @ Mad

Thank you Mad, it's the solution to my question, and a permanent one ;o)) !

Jean-Michel

by Dirk, Friday, January 02, 2015, 18:57 (3408 days ago) @ Mad

(If you need more explanation, let me know. i will write step by step!

Please can you explanation it for me". Step by step?

by Jean-Michel3 @, Sunday, February 17, 2019, 13:45 (1901 days ago) @ Dirk

Hi

Long time ago, but here some details :

Go to phpmyadmin, table xxx_entries, there you have all the posts. The sticky notes are defined by the column "Sticky" = 1. Don't touch this. Go to the column "time". The most recent sticky note displays on top.

Example : you see this on your forum (from top to bottom):

• Sticky1 today 10h
  • Sticky2 today 9h
  • Sticky3 today 8h

Change the hour of Sticky2 to, for instance, 11h. The forum will automatically reorganise the order at next refresh and you will get :

• Sticky2 today 11h
  • Sticky1 today 9h
  • Sticky3 today 8h

I don't know if there is an impact on the subposts of the changed entry, I don't think so.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel

by Auge ⌂, Monday, February 18, 2019, 10:58 (1900 days ago) @ Jean-Michel3

Hello

Go to phpmyadmin, table xxx_entries, there you have all the posts. The sticky notes are defined by the column "Sticky" = 1. Don't touch this. Go to the column "time". The most recent sticky note displays on top.

It's much more simpler.

I don't know if there is an impact on the subposts of the changed entry, I don't think so.

The order depends on the date of the last entry in a thread. You only have to manipulate the timestamp of the latest reply of the thread you want to set to top. The id of the entry in the database is identifiable by the URL-parameter id of the entry. So the id of your posting I'm answering to is 11593 (taken from the URL: https://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?id=11593).

Only the timestamp of the opening posting beats this rule (you used it in your example) but this can lead to inconsistencies if one sets a more actual timestamp for a thread (instead an older one). This is because in this scenario the timestamp of the opener could be newer than a timestamp of one of it's replies.

To manipulate the latest answer is IMHO the safer and more consistent way.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread