Mark thread as read (Bugs)

by grognard, Monday, September 23, 2013, 22:32 (3860 days ago)
edited by grognard, Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:11

Hi I noticed that when I hot desk or move between machines, obviously posts remain 'blue' as unread that I may have read on a different computer etc.

Am I right in thinking that opening in 'thread' view marks all the posts read? It looks to be the case?

The problem is that when I log out, and log back in, even on the same machine, its forgetting which posts have been read. Is this something to do with my user environment or the forum? I am using Google Chrome.

Ahh ok. It seems to be the 'refresh new and read postings' button that causes it to mark some posts un-read again. Regardless of cookie etc. Is that the intended function of that button?

Mark thread as read

by grognard, Monday, September 23, 2013, 23:14 (3860 days ago) @ grognard
edited by grognard, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 00:00

Hmm this must be this issue here

Can I remove the 'refresh' button from my site to prevent users accidentally screwing their cookie? This must be the entry in subnavigation_2.inc.tpl file?

Yes it is: remove <li><a class="refresh" href="index.php?refresh=1&amp;category={$category}" title="{#refresh_linktitle#}" rel="nofollow">{#refresh_link#}</a></li> and poof! no more tears.

Sorry for sperging. I always do on here it seems! :-D

Now a way to make linear view the default and not hierarchical? :-P

Mark thread as read

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:02 (3860 days ago) @ grognard

Hello

Hi I noticed that when I hot desk or move between machines, obviously posts remain 'blue' as unread that I may have read on a different computer etc.

Am I right in thinking that opening in 'thread' view marks all the posts read? It looks to be the case?

It seems you found a solution for one of the issues. The issue for the unread postings in another browser or on another machine is the style to save the requests. The information is determined from cookies and these are stored for each used browser separately. If you use different browsers (maybe on different machines) a second (or third ...) browser knows nothing about the requested pages of the first used browser.

If one would use different browsers and want to have informations about visited pages independent of the browsers, these infos must be stored on the server. The function can only be served for registered and logged in users because the identity of the user must be known independent from the used browser.

This set of functions isn't implemented.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Mark thread as read

by grognard, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 11:33 (3860 days ago) @ Auge
edited by grognard, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 12:32

Hi thanks for the reply (I am not sure my silly posts deserve your attention tbh!).
Anyway, I can see how you are right. You know, a 'mark forum read' (that marks every post in every thread read) and/or the same thing for thread only would be jolly nice. :-D

I figured out what was causing my read posts to become 'unread' anyway. Its because I have more than one forum installed on the same domain - one is 'live' and other is 'developing'. Every time I logged in to my dev forum it must be overwriting the cookie for the domain and resetting all the posts on the live forum's Latest Postings box to blue. Derp!

RSS Feed of thread