Saving Settings (Bugs)

by yeomanjake, Saturday, December 29, 2012, 04:49 (4108 days ago)

I have Windows 7 but doubt this is the problem. I installed 'my little forum' on my Naval Ship Association's website. All went well. However after initial setup, I have tried to change/update settings and nothing is saved when you click the update button. For instance, I tried to change how a new user gets verified. Originally I set it for "self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator" then I wished to change it to just "Self" then saved it, but changes were not set and the initial setup continues. Then I tried to change the name of the Forum, and that too, would not update.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Jake in Winchester, TN

Saving Settings

by grognard, Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 14:40 (4105 days ago) @ yeomanjake

Hi there. This sounds like a file permissions/ownership problem. Since you are not using linux I can only suggest that you ensure the files you are trying to modify are writeable by the server. I would also make sure that your mysql user has all the correct permissions to the database you are using.

Saving Settings

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 17:22 (4105 days ago) @ grognard

Hello

Hi there. This sounds like a file permissions/ownership problem. Since you are not using linux I can only suggest that you ensure the files you are trying to modify are writeable by the server. I would also make sure that your mysql user has all the correct permissions to the database you are using.

The file with the database settings has to be writable only during the installation. Afterwards it has to be readable. All other operations after the installation are managed by the database (as you noted in your last sentence). Since the installation was successful, the problem seems to be the database operations.

@yeomanjake: Please make a new entry and tell us, if it was saved in the database or not. That will tell you if grognards conjecture about the database permissions is applicable.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Saving Settings

by yeomanjake, Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 17:38 (4105 days ago) @ grognard

Thanks for the response, however, even thought the server is not linux, I have not encountered any mysql problem like this in other scripts I am using and I being webmaster have full rights to any mysql calls tells me that your explaination of the issue is not the issue. I can save other things in the forum, like adding entrieds, as do the current users, I can delete comments or threads without any problem. So keep trying. I just went there this minute and was able to change the name of a forum and it saved perfectly, but settings, that's another matter. I am the Forum owner being the one who initiated the forum, and was able to save the initial settings, but still can't save updates, and will probably have to do it using phpmyadmin. Please respond to this. Thanks!

BTW - I set up the server originally with the domain name www.usshancockassociation.com and own both the .org and .net domains, making the .org the main domain, and changed over to the .com one to test it as it was the one I used to set up, and it still will not save the update for settings. Go Figure.
Thanks.

Jake Jaccard,

Saving Settings

by yeomanjake, Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 18:27 (4105 days ago) @ grognard

Sorry grognard, I must have confused you; my server is linus, my computer is windows 7. Here's my update for you; I went back to mylittleforum and tried once more to change the title of the forum, where the old name still shows. I saved the new name and it appeared to not change so I visited PHPMYADMIN manager and looked under Settings and the name shows in there the newly saved one, so it is saving, but is not showing in the script the user sees. I do not believe this is a windows 7 issue of not refreshing. You can go to the forum yourself. If you see the name as "Association Forums" - then it isn't saving. If you see "Member Forums" then it has saved and my local internet files are not refreshing.

In any case, Please respond to me at jake@yeomanbee.com (also) to let me know what you find:
The URL to the Forums is www.usshancockassociation.org/scuttlebutt/

Thanks,
Jake
;-)

Saving Settings

by Auge ⌂, Friday, January 04, 2013, 12:54 (4102 days ago) @ yeomanjake

Hello

... Here's my update for you; I went back to mylittleforum and tried once more to change the title of the forum, where the old name still shows. I saved the new name and it appeared to not change so I visited PHPMYADMIN manager and looked under Settings and the name shows in there the newly saved one, so it is saving, but is not showing in the script the user sees.

We had here a similar issue. In that case the settings was saved twice in the database (two complete sets of settings). When the admin saved an setting the first appeared entry was changed but when the script read the entries for output, the second/last one (the unchanged) was used. Please check your database again via phpMyAdmin for doublettes.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread