Suggestion: text color editor (Features)

by needhelp338, Saturday, April 21, 2007, 19:35 (6176 days ago)

Hi Alex,

I have a suggestion: is it possible to add a text color editor ? Right now it is very good already, we can BOLD and ITALICIZE our posts, it would be nice to have a COLOR option so that we can put certain text in RED or GREEN to draw attention to certain keywords in our post.

Just a suggestion....

thanks
Needhelp338

Suggestion: text color editor

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, April 22, 2007, 17:27 (6175 days ago) @ needhelp338
edited by Alfie, Monday, April 23, 2007, 00:49

Hi!

...it would be nice to have a COLOR option so that we can put certain text in RED or GREEN to draw attention to certain keywords in our post.

[color=rgb(0,128,0)]Is already implemented[/color] (see this post).

The BB-code syntax follows [ color=foo]bar[/color] (remove the blank after the first bracket), and translated into (X)HTML:

<span style="color:foo;">bar</span>

Accepted values for color are one of the defined (X)HTML named properties (aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, yellow).
The additional 120 named Netscape colors (like [color=darkblue]darkblue[/color]) may work as well, but their interpretion is browser-dependent).
RGB-definitions, either as HEX-values from #000000 (black) to #FFFFFF (white) [not case-sensitive], or as an integer (0-255) e.g. [color=rgb(128,128,128)]rgb(128,128,128)[/color] for medium gray) will always work.

Examples:
[ color=red]test[/color]: test
[ color=darkorange]test[/color]: [color=darkorange]test[/color]
[ color=#FFCC00]test[/color]: [color=#FFCC00]test[/color]
[ color=rgb(128,128,128)]test[/color]: [color=rgb(128,128,128)]test[/color]

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Suggestion: text color editor

by needhelp338, Sunday, April 22, 2007, 21:10 (6175 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks, AWESOME !

I assume the text color script is not installed in this forum, am I correct?

In the text editor, I only see the following choices,

• bold
  • italic
  • link
  • list
  • upload

text colors

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, April 22, 2007, 23:44 (6175 days ago) @ needhelp338
edited by Alfie, Monday, April 23, 2007, 00:54

I assume the text color script is not installed in this forum, am I correct?

No, you aren't ;-)
How do you think, I colored the text?

Just give it a try - of course you have to remove the blank after the first bracket (I had to add it, because otherwise the BB-code would have been translated into HTML).
Look at lines 282-289 of 'functions.inc.php' (v2 beta 10) and the documention of Cristian Seiler's BB-Code class.

In the text editor, I only see the following choices,

• bold....

Which script are you referring to?

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

text colors

by needhelp338, Monday, April 23, 2007, 00:03 (6175 days ago) @ Alfie

Stupid me :) You are right, of course the script is installed here otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the color, Thanks Alfie.

But aren't we suppose to see a quick add color button to the right of the post entry form, you know near where we have BOLD, ITALIC, LINK, LIST IMAGE buttons etc ? So that when people click on the RED button the text will automatically be scripted to show up as RED ?

Maybe I don't fully understand how this works....sorry..

Test

[color=red ]red[/color]
green
yellow

color-buttons

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, April 23, 2007, 00:31 (6175 days ago) @ needhelp338

Thanks Alfie.

Welcome :-D

But aren't we suppose to see a quick add color button to the right of the post entry form, you know near where we have BOLD, ITALIC, LINK, LIST IMAGE buttons etc ? So that when people click on the RED button the text will automatically be scripted to show up as RED ?

It depends.
+

• comfortable
  • no BB-code syntax necessary

-

• button area may become 'crowded'
  • even if you are using only 3 colors, they may not suit the background-color of a particular forum
  • if an admin doesn't want to use them, has to edit the code

±

• relies on JavaScript (like all other buttons)

Maybe I don't fully understand how this works...

You are not alone :cool:
I'm just beginning to get a glimpse of it.

P.S. Have a look at 'templates/default/posting.tpl.inc' lines 112-119.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Thanks, Alfie about your forum

by needhelp338, Monday, April 23, 2007, 03:36 (6175 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by needhelp338, Monday, April 23, 2007, 04:18

Thanks Alfie. Much appreciated...

I just went to your forum, are you using version 2.0 beta or version 1.7 ?

The reason I ask is because I just installed version 2.0 beta and am disappointed to see that BOARD view is no longer available. I saw that you still have BOARD and THREAD view in your forum.

Is there a way where I can use 2.0 beta and still have the BOARD view as an option ?

Also, CAPTCHA is no longer there, which I do want to have.

I am debating whether to install version 1.7 instead. Both BOARD view and CAPTCHA are important to my site.

Thanks

Needhelp338

Thanks -> Alex

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, April 23, 2007, 11:05 (6175 days ago) @ needhelp338

Thanks must go to Alex; he is writing the scripts - I'm just a moderator (= interested layman) here! ;-)

I just went to your forum, are you using version 2.0 beta or version 1.7 ?

1.7.3 (date 2007-04-05)

The reason I ask is because I just installed version 2.0 beta and am disappointed to see that BOARD view is no longer available.

I don't expect the board to be an option any more.

I saw that you still have BOARD and THREAD view in your forum.
Is there a way where I can use 2.0 beta and still have the BOARD view as an option ?

See above...

Also, CAPTCHA is no longer there, which I do want to have.

Yes, but Akismet is working pretty well (as a moderator I can see about 2 spams slipping through per day).

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

text colors

by Alex ⌂, Monday, April 23, 2007, 08:26 (6175 days ago) @ needhelp338

Maybe I don't fully understand how this works....sorry..

No, you're right. This is still a hidden feature. A "color chooser" is still missing.

Alex

Thanks Alex and Alfie !

by needhelp338, Monday, April 23, 2007, 14:35 (6175 days ago) @ Alex

Thanks Alex and Alfie...much appreciated..

RSS Feed of thread