Registering shows blank page (Technics)

by Arthur Dent, Sunday, June 29, 2008, 20:16 (5774 days ago)

Dear friends of my little forum,

I have just installed mlf v2 RC1, but I have noticed that clicking on "register" just opens a blank page: ...index.php?mode=register

Does anybody know the possible reasons for that? Could there be a problem with any rights of some files or folders?

Logging in as admin or user (who is registered from the admins account) is no problem.

I am very thankful for any clues,
Arthur Dent

Registering shows blank page - fault of CAPTCHA?

by Arthur Dent, Sunday, June 29, 2008, 21:57 (5774 days ago) @ Arthur Dent

I just found out, that the CAPTCHA function seemed to play a role in the appearance of the blank page. When I set the configuration so that new registrants should need to solve the MATH CAPTCHA, I see a blank page. When I deactivate Spam-protection, registering works.

But I would like to have a SPAM protection for new members of the forum.

Does anybody has an idea?

Thanks for help,
Arthur Dent

Error-log?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, June 30, 2008, 09:29 (5773 days ago) @ Arthur Dent

Dear Arthur Dent (what a nick)!

Do you have access to your server's error-log? A blank page is typical for a fatal error of the PHP-interpreter. In the log you will find the error message and the line of the script causing trouble. This information should serve as an entry point.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Error-log?

by Arthur Dent, Tuesday, July 01, 2008, 15:04 (5772 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by Alfie, Wednesday, July 02, 2008, 09:35

Do you have access to your server's error-log? A blank page is typical for a fatal error of the PHP-interpreter. In the log you will find the error message and the line of the script causing trouble. This information should serve as an entry point.

Thanks Alfie,

unfortunately I don't have access to the error log. I just saw (by chance) a browser window with following lines:

Notice: Undefined variable:captcha in /...PATH.../includes/register.inc.php on line 259

Fatal error: Call to a member function generate_math_captcha() on a non-object in /...PATH.../includes/register.inc.php on line 259

After that I changed the Spam settings, and - as I wrote earlier - without CAPTCHA everything works fine.

Are there any configurations which I have to make before running the Math Captcha? What can I try?

Thanks for any clues,
Arthur Dent

captcha.php really there?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Wednesday, July 02, 2008, 09:52 (5771 days ago) @ Arthur Dent

unfortunately I don't have access to the error log. I just saw (by chance) a browser window with following lines:

BTW, a server must not be configured to come up with error-messages to the client.

Notice: Undefined variable:captcha in /...PATH.../includes/register.inc.php on line 259

OK this is the call to the function generate_math_captcha() in captcha.php.

Stupid question: is the folder /...PATH.../modules/captcha/ (and all it's contents) available on the server?
Maybe you just unzip the forum again locally and upload only this folder again.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread