what do we still need for version 2 final? (Todo)

by Alex ⌂, Saturday, May 17, 2008, 14:59 (5817 days ago)

Hi!

To get finished eventually with version 2: what is still needed necessarily for the final version 2? I'd rather release a version 2 RC 1 soon than implement a lot of new features. Major changes and improvements (e.g. better search function) would then have to wait for 2.1. From 2 RC 1 to 2 final I'd like to to only bug fixing and code improvement (the main script and database structure shouldn't be changed within these releases).

Alex

what do we still need for version 2 final?

by Otto, Saturday, May 17, 2008, 16:01 (5817 days ago) @ Alex

To get finished eventually with version 2: what is still needed necessarily for the final version 2? I'd rather release a version 2 RC 1 soon than implement a lot of new features.

Hi Alex,

At this moment, I have little problems with the version. All seems to run nicely. however, I do have an idea about the display. I think it is no an urgent issue for release of version 2, but if implementing is easy, you could consider to bring it in.

When in threaded mode, you have the sidebar on the right side of the display. When klicking on a message you get to the message display mode. However, when you want to see the next recent message, you have to go back to the main window again. Should it be a nice option to keep the sidebar in the message display mode, so navigating through the recent messages will be a lot easier?

Please take it in consideration,
Otto

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 15:42 (5816 days ago) @ Otto

Hi Otto,

Should it be a nice option to keep the sidebar in the message display mode, so navigating through the recent messages will be a lot easier?

Well, no bad idea, but I think this will have to wait...

Alex

by Otto, Tuesday, May 20, 2008, 17:27 (5814 days ago) @ Alex

Should it be a nice option to keep the sidebar in the message display mode, so navigating through the recent messages will be a lot easier?

Well, no bad idea, but I think this will have to wait...

Thanks Alex,

By the way, could you set the number of recent messages on this forum a bit higher? At his moment I see only six entries int the sidebar. Since I come along here only a few times a week, its hard to find all the new messages. I would suggest 25 entries in the bar?

Otto

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 14:55 (5816 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

still I don’t understand why it’s not possible to use BBCodes inside of [ inlinecode ] and/or [ code ].
As long as BBCodes are well-formed, it should be possible to translate them into valid XHTML…

Examples:
a     b     a: --> 5 blanks are kept (intentionally)
a     [b]b[/b]     a: --> bold not translated

aaaaaa

[ inlinecode ] is translated to

<code>foo</code>

whereas in [ code ] an enclosing paragraph is added to

<pre><code>foo</code></pre>

In all HTML-variants (including XHTML1.0 Strict) allowed inline elements for

<code></code>

are e.g., strong, em, sub, sup,…

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 15:39 (5816 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by Alex, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 16:01

Hi Alfie,

still I don’t understand why it’s not possible to use BBCodes inside of [ inlinecode ] and/or [ code ].

That's because within code blocks no parsing is done (no bbcodes, no smilies...) to avoid unmeant replacings like in version 1.*. What we could do is to implement another bbcode like [pre][/pre]. Testing...

+-----------------------------------------+
          | bold | italic | underlined | red | link |
          +-----------------------------------------+

Alex

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 18:21 (5816 days ago) @ Alex
edited by Alfie, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 20:53

Hi Alex,

thanx!
What I’m really interested in is monospaced text within a single line containing other BBCodes.
Right now you are also using <pre> around <code>. Maybe it’s a solution to prevent the LF for <pre> by setting a class which can by assigned to <pre> in CSS:

.inl { display:inline; }

In other words the block-element is treated as an inline-element.
Just give it a try with this one (valid XHTML):

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css" />
    <style type="text/css">
      div  { border:2px solid black; padding:10px; }
      pre  { border:1px solid red; }
      code { border:1px solid blue; }
      .inl { display:inline; white-space:nowrap; }
    </style>
    <title>pre inline test</title>
  </head>
  <body>
  <div>
    <pre>Monospaced text, HTML: &lt;pre&gt;foo&lt;/pre&gt;</pre>
    <code>Monospaced text, HTML: &lt;code&gt;foo&lt;/code&gt;</code>
    <pre class="inl">HTML: &lt;pre&gt;foo&lt;/pre&gt;, CSS: display:inline;white-space:nowrap;</pre>
  </div>
  </body>
</html>

The additional 'white-space:nowrap;' prevents line-breaks and forces scrollbars to be displayed if necessary.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 19:15 (5816 days ago) @ Alfie

What I’m really interested in is monospaced text within a single line which containing other BBCodes.

Do you have an example for what to use this? Do you want to use monospaced text within a line of regular text?

Alex

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 21:01 (5816 days ago) @ Alex

What I’m really interested in is monospaced text within a single line which containing other BBCodes.

Do you have an example for what to use this?

This one... (have a look at the 'pseudo-formula': inlinecode, italics, superscript).
I'm also using it for references to footnotes (see here - inlinecode & superscipt).

Do you want to use monospaced text within a line of regular text?

Yes... :-D

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alex ⌂, Monday, May 19, 2008, 07:12 (5815 days ago) @ Alfie

...OK, testing [monospace]...[/monospace]:

Hello   m   o   n   o   s   p   a   c   e  World!

What about this?

Alex

Well-formed BBCodes

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, May 19, 2008, 11:28 (5815 days ago) @ Alex
edited by Alfie, Monday, May 19, 2008, 14:46

Wow, so other BBCodes are evaluated within the wrapper - that's exactly what I like! Thanx!

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

extended User-Info?

by Stefan-DSCF, Monday, May 19, 2008, 06:19 (5815 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

last year I talked with my lawyer about the german forum-laws and how to prevent me as an administrator from legal problems.

I expanded my mlf2_userdata - table with the fields "real_name", "real_street", "real_town", "real_phone", "remarks".
After registration our new users have to send me these informations, otherwise they are deleted.

In case of problems, discrepancy, legal proceedings these additional informations should be sufficient to proof the identities of our users.

Could it be possible to integrate these fields as standard? They should only be seen and edited by administrators f.e. within the "Userverwaltung" so no one (even the user himself) can manipulate then?

Thanks a lot!!!

Stefan

extended User-Info?

by Alex ⌂, Monday, May 19, 2008, 07:23 (5815 days ago) @ Stefan-DSCF

Hi Stefan,

last year I talked with my lawyer about the german forum-laws and how to prevent me as an administrator from legal problems.

As far as I know you should take as less user data as possible. It's already controversial whether the IP addresses should be saved or not. Aside from that, how can you ensure the given information is correct?

Alex

extended User-Info?

by Stefan-DSCF, Monday, May 19, 2008, 09:54 (5815 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

As far as I know you should take as less user data as possible. It's already controversial whether the IP addresses should be saved or not. Aside from that, how can you ensure the given information is correct?

as less as possible, thats right. Our Users have to mail either their real name and phone number or their full postal adress.
In case of suspicion we check the data using online-phonebooks or just calling them. Ok, you can´t be 100% sure that the given data is real, but normally these informations will do if something goes to law.
In our former forum we sometimes had this problem when an user-pw was given away or was "stolen" - a short call to the user mostly cleared the problem.

cu,
Stefan

Keeping position within main page (FF Bug)

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, May 24, 2008, 10:42 (5810 days ago) @ Alex
edited by Alfie, Saturday, May 24, 2008, 12:25

If directly opening a post from the main page (not as a new tab - but with a simple click) and afterwards using Firefox’, Seamonkey’s (the Mozilla family) Back-button, you end up at the top of the page. If you were already down at the lower part of the main page, it’s boring to scroll down again to locate the last post...

There was a short thread in the German 1.x forum, and I’m using the fix since March 2008 in 1.7.3-1.7.5 without any complaints from my users and I guess it worked also for JED (who suggested the fix; his forum contains well over 200000 posts).

The fix in 1.7 was (adding below the first include [line 27] to forum.php, mix.php, board.php):

include("inc.php");
header("Cache-Control: public, max-age=900");

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Wanderer, Friday, May 30, 2008, 22:36 (5804 days ago) @ Alex

Hi,
first of all Thanks for your work, for this great Forum.
Now i try to tell in English :-| what i need for this Forum.

I need the possibility to create a category that is only writing for admins/mods and Accessible for everyone. This means: In the moment i can only control who can read a category and my wish is to control who can write in a category.

Next Point:
I tested the Forum with the Firefox add-ons "HTML Validator" and "Web Developer". In the attached diff file, are my corrections for the Forum to get it more confirm with XHTML and to delete some little errors.
Additional are in the first two diffs, some Points they makes me easier to handle the Forum.

www.wanderratten.de/mlf2/diff-forum.txt

with kind regards
Gregor

by Alex ⌂, Saturday, May 31, 2008, 07:11 (5803 days ago) @ Wanderer
edited by Alex, Saturday, May 31, 2008, 08:08

Hi Gregor,

I need the possibility to create a category that is only writing for admins/mods and Accessible for everyone.

That's no bad idea but I'm afraid this feature has to wait... in the meantime you can lock the threads which should be readonly.

www.wanderratten.de/mlf2/diff-forum.txt

Thanks a lot! I'll work through it!

EDIT:
After a first quick look at it:

• Why should #content be renamed in #content_mlf2?
  • If we add table summaries we should do real text summaries (language strings). Something like "admin_settings" doesn't help very much IMHO.

Alex

by Micha ⌂, Monday, June 02, 2008, 12:48 (5801 days ago) @ Wanderer

Hi,

I need the possibility to create a category that is only writing for admins/mods

- or another defined usergroup.
- add external avatars

Regards Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

UTF8-Problems (new with RC1)

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, May 31, 2008, 23:09 (5803 days ago) @ Alex
edited by Alfie, Saturday, May 31, 2008, 23:21

Hi Alex,

since yesterday some UTF8 new issues in old* posts appear: pages are correctly delivered as UTF-8, everything above ASCII-127 is a mess (see this post, although German Umlauts in a new post seem to work:
Ae -> Ä
ae -> ä
Oe -> Ö
oe -> ö
Ue -> Ü
ue -> ü

* where 'old' is relative: also in this post from 24 May; --> ’ <-- instead of a right single quote, like --> <--.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Wanderer, Sunday, June 01, 2008, 00:14 (5803 days ago) @ Alfie

since yesterday some UTF8 new issues in old* posts appear: pages are correctly delivered as UTF-8, everything above ASCII-127 is a mess (see this post, although German Umlauts in a new post seem to work:

Hi,
probable it is this "mysql_query('SET NAMES `utf8`', $connid)", like in this post. But the really Problem is, that the Text stored in the Database is not UTF-8. There is a nice blog for this Problem:

Von ISO-8859-1 zu UTF-8 in PHP und MySQL (German)

with kind regards
Gregor

by Otto, Monday, June 02, 2008, 18:56 (5801 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Alex,

Ae -> Ä
ae -> ä
Oe -> Ö
oe -> ö
Ue -> Ü
ue -> ü

If I enter a trema or acute accent in a text (either subject or body text), all text after the character with the diacritical mark disappears in the posting.

For example if I write the Dutch sentence: "een seriele poort" (one serial port), I need marks in the words "een" and "seriele". So, lets see if it goes wrong on this forum too "één seriële poort"...

Otto

by Otto, Monday, June 02, 2008, 18:58 (5801 days ago) @ Otto
edited by Otto, Monday, June 02, 2008, 19:08

For example if I write the Dutch sentence: "een seriele poort" (one serial port), I need marks in the words "een" and "seriele". So, lets see if it goes wrong on this forum too "één seriële poort"...

Hmm, here it works properly, there must be something else wrong...

Otto

Edit: solved it! I needed to change the charset varable in the language file:

So:

charset = ISO-8859-1
server_default_charset = ISO-8859-1

Needed to become:

charset = UTF-8
server_default_charset = ISO-8859-1

Otto

by spirou @, Tuesday, June 03, 2008, 21:23 (5800 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi,

I'm new here but I just wanted to say that I've observed a similar problem when updating from beta 26 to RC1.

The forum I'm using is in Spanish and all the caracters with accents á ó ü, or letters as ñ ... suddenly were badly displayed.

In fact, the situation is:
Server in US
Local windows version Spanish

I don't really know what was the problem but I solved it deleting the line 42 in functions.inc.php:

// @mysql_query('SET NAMES utf8', $connid);

By the way, a wonderful program!

Table <-> Thread change

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, June 01, 2008, 10:59 (5802 days ago) @ Alex

Sometimes you end up in a particular post (mainly through a direct link) in a view you don't like (e.g., deep in a thread). We had this issue already in this post, but it never was resolved.
In 1.x there were links in the right hand corner allowing for a direct switch between views. I give examples as full links to get the idea:

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Table <-> Thread change

by Alex ⌂, Monday, June 02, 2008, 08:31 (5801 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Alfie,

We had this issue already in this post, but it never was resolved.

The "Post reply link" issue is resolved, isn't it?

In 1.x there were links in the right hand corner allowing for a direct switch between views.

In an opened thread there's the "open whole thread" link:

[image]

...but your're right, there's no direct link to the corresponding anchor within the thread. I'll test to add one...

Alex

language chooser

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, June 05, 2008, 08:20 (5798 days ago) @ Alex

Hi,

a language chooser (if there are more than one lng-Files in the directory) in the individual profil of a member. I have 99% german-users but 1% do not speaking german. The last group has maybe a problem to translate labels.

Regards Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Category changer?

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, June 07, 2008, 10:32 (5796 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

sometimes users post in the wrong category of a forum. Right now that means for the admin changing the category for every single post within a thread in phpMySQL.
It would be nice to add this feature to the 'Move posting'-function for admins/mods.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Category changer?

by Alex ⌂, Saturday, June 07, 2008, 10:54 (5796 days ago) @ Alfie

Hi Alfie,

sometimes users post in the wrong category of a forum. Right now that means for the admin changing the category for every single post within a thread in phpMySQL.

in the thread starting posting: edit --> Category

Or did I get something wrong?

Alex

Category edit in top post

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, June 07, 2008, 12:21 (5796 days ago) @ Alex

Hi Alex,

Wow, great; I didn't know that one!

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Category edit in top post

by bttr ⌂, Berlin, Germany, Saturday, June 07, 2008, 14:29 (5796 days ago) @ Alfie

Wow, great; I didn't know that one!

I knew, but I was too late. It's already a very old feature.

by bas de jong ⌂ @, rhoon, Thursday, June 19, 2008, 19:12 (5784 days ago) @ Alex

different language selection, every user can select his language with the language file

RSS Feed of thread