Left-justified images with text to the right (General)

by ralphdn, Monday, April 28, 2008, 12:02 (5813 days ago)

A representation such as this is common on html pages: A photo left or right justified and text next to or surrounding it.

How can I achieve this representation using the BB-Code which is allowed in mlf forums? A brief indication of the commands to be used is a sufficient answer.

All the best,
Ralph
ralphdn

Left-justified images with text to the right

by LookAtThis, Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 20:56 (5812 days ago) @ ralphdn

A representation such as this is common on html pages: A photo left or right justified and text next to or surrounding it.

How can I achieve this representation using the BB-Code which is allowed in mlf forums? A brief indication of the commands to be used is a sufficient answer.

All the best,
Ralph
ralphdn

Look here: msg 2385 You'll see the code when replying

by ralphdn, Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 21:02 (5812 days ago) @ LookAtThis

Thanks!

I see that it's the img=right and img=left commands that do it. Strange, I've found that one mlf forum uses img|left and img|right, while some BB Code forums don't apparently even allow the usage of left and right ... maybe the separator character doesn't matter..?

Anyway I'm a good bit further!

All the best,
Ralph
ralphdn

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 17:21 (5811 days ago) @ ralphdn
edited by Alfie, Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 22:01

Hi Ralph!

I see that it's the img=right and img=left commands that do it.

Yes, in this version (the 2.x branch of mlf).

Strange, I've found that one mlf forum uses img|left and img|right,...

[img|left]foo[/img] and [img|right]foo[/img] is the syntax in the 1.x branch of mlf.

... while some BB Code forums don't apparently even allow the usage of left and right

If you are talking about mlf, you only have the option to allow BBCodes for images or not. Once you allowed them, left/right is always 'onboard'.
BTW, 'left' is default: you don't have to explicitely use it in order to get text floating to the right of an image aligned to the left.

... maybe the separator character doesn't matter..?

Oh yes, it does.
If you use mlf 2.x syntax in mlf 1.x, the BBCode is not rendered into XHTML and displayed as plain text, like:
[img=right]foo[/img]
The same is true if you use 1.x syntax in 2.x, getting only:
[img|right]foo[/img]

Probably Alex has changed the syntax to fit into Christian Seiler's BBCode parser class. The syntax used for images in the 2.x branch is more consistent with other BBCodes, which all follow the scheme of '[color=#00f]parameter[/color]=[color=#00f]value[/color]'.

A list of implemented BBCodes are given here.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by ralphdn, Wednesday, April 30, 2008, 18:58 (5811 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks a lot, Alfie!

I won't bug you with a lot of detailled questions, I've seen some things that don't seem to work on various mlf boards, but there can always be simple explanations for things like that, such as syntax errors which aren't noticed, etc.

I've saved your text for later reference, very much appreciated!

All the best,
Ralph
ralphdn

a few notes to the list of codes

by ralphdn, Thursday, May 01, 2008, 12:34 (5810 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by ralphdn, Thursday, May 01, 2008, 12:47

A couple of issues that it would be nice to resolve:

If you are talking about mlf, you only have the option to allow BBCodes for images or not. Once you allowed them, left/right is always 'onboard'.
BTW, 'left' is default: you don't have to explicitely use it in order to get text floating to the right of an image aligned to the left.

Per default, the image appears at the left. BUT text is not posted to the right of the image, but rather below it, such as

[image] This text will appear to the right at the bottom corner of the image, and not beginning at the upper right-hand corner.

• foo
  • bar

The list option works here, but not in my band's forum (i just sent the url to you via email) ... how can I know which BB Codes work in an mlf forum, and which don't?

Regards,
Ralph
ralhdn

mlf 1.x # mlf 2.x

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, May 01, 2008, 14:25 (5810 days ago) @ ralphdn

Hi Ralph,

I just posted to your forum - which is definitely not run by 2.x scripts; therefore some BBCodes are not implemented - e.g., lists, font-sizes, colors,...

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

mlf 1.x # mlf 2.x

by ralphdn, Friday, May 02, 2008, 07:21 (5809 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks Alfie, I moved the message to the forum admin area, it's a good reference!

All the best,
Ralph
ralphdn

RSS Feed of thread