Archieving Posts (Features)

by neil, Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 16:10 (5852 days ago)

If a topic dies and is out of date, I would like to be able to archieve it so it doesn't appear in the main forum, but could be readable if required. The way possibly to go is a another field which defaults to the main forum - ie the subject is seen, but is then selectable to archieve or off, so the subject is not seen, but is displayed in an archieve area of the site.

Anyone got any hints or ideas of how to do this?

Archieving Posts

by Stinker, Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 17:51 (5851 days ago) @ neil

You mean you want to be able to ARCHIVE it, not achieve it. You "achieve wisdom" as you get older. You "archive" files to be stored in another location.

Archiving Posts

by neil, Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 19:03 (5851 days ago) @ Stinker

I would also like to achieve a result re: my initial post, but yes you are correct in what I meant. A stray 'e' hardly hurts anybody, well not in the dictionary sense.....

Archieving Posts

by Willy, Sunday, March 23, 2008, 16:42 (5840 days ago) @ neil

If a topic dies and is out of date, I would like to be able to archieve it so it doesn't appear in the main forum, but could be readable if required. The way possibly to go is a another field which defaults to the main forum - ie the subject is seen, but is then selectable to archieve or off, so the subject is not seen, but is displayed in an archieve area of the site.

Anyone got any hints or ideas of how to do this?

I would create a category called "Archive".
If this category is only viewable by Admin / Mods you make it invisible to User.

Now you can change the Category number of any Posting which has to be archived.
I would do this by cronjob whith a little SQL query depending on Postings age;

If Posting time is older then now - 100 days... or what ever you want.

Regards, Willy

RSS Feed of thread