WAI is right after all! (Todo)

by Arnd @, Monday, January 14, 2008, 22:20 (5917 days ago)
edited by Alfie, Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 13:28

Hi,

according to WAI, there must not be more than one link on a page with the same link text. This is because screen readers have a function to list all links on a page which doesn't help if there are several with same link text.

Sadly, most people out there don't bother about the blind screen reader users, not our target group anyway, they say. :-(

Now there's another reason why that rule makes sense! Subscribe to this forum's RSS feed and you see why.

I suggest that replies to a posting should automatically be labelled: Re[1]..., Re[2] etc, except the user renames the topic, of course.

Best,

Arnd

--
Edit: Category changed. [Alfie]

WAI is right after all!

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, January 20, 2008, 18:06 (5912 days ago) @ Arnd

Hi Arnd,

Sadly, most people out there don't bother about the blind screen reader users, not our target group anyway, they say. :-(
I suggest that replies to a posting should automatically be labelled: Re[1]..., Re[2] etc, except the user renames the topic, of course.

Good idea - I'd like to implement that. But I need a good idea how to do it technically. Should the default value of the subject when replying already be added with "Re[x]"? Should it be added automatically after posted? What, if someone changes completely the subject line?

Alex

WAI is right after all!

by Arnd @, Wednesday, January 23, 2008, 10:41 (5909 days ago) @ Alex

Good idea - I'd like to implement that. But I need a good idea how to do it technically. Should the default value of the subject when replying already be added with "Re[x]"? Should it be added automatically after posted? What, if someone changes completely the subject line?

Hi Alex,

I guess it should work like this:

- check if the user has renamed the thread
- if yes:
-- make sure he has removed the "Re"
- if no:
-- walk through the thread tree to find the highest RE-Number
-- rename the thread to Re[x]: subject

Regular Expressions might be useful here.
To take subject line and Re-number apart:

$re_no=preg_replace("/^Re:[(d{1,2})]s.+$/","$1",$subject);
$subject_name=preg_replace("/^Re:[d{1,2}]s(.+)$/","$1",$subject);

This is just a sketch of course, not tested yet! I might give it a try myself if if I have the time. Quite probably, some issues might arise I did not think of... :-)

Best

Arnd

WAI is right after all!

by Alex ⌂, Friday, February 01, 2008, 17:51 (5900 days ago) @ Arnd

Hi Arnd,

Quite probably, some issues might arise I did not think of... :-)

Well, I think it sould be a string in the language file with wildcards like this:
Re[[number]] [Subject]
This might complicate it a little.

Alex

RSS Feed of thread