Ignore Feature (Features)

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Friday, December 14, 2007, 18:40 (5949 days ago)

I have now used the my little forum software in different versions for a few years. I absolutely love it, and the updates have targeted the major problems I have had. However, there are a couple of things I would like to address that might help you guys a bit for the next version.

The first is an ignore feature, which is something a lot of people in my forum have asked for. The reason for this is that most forums attract some weirdos. I am personally hesitant to block these people, since I believe in keeping the forum open and un-moderated. But these "trolls" tend to flood some threads or parts of the forum with their posts - and most people don't care at all about what they write.

So a number of people using my forum have requested an ignore feature. As I understand it, they would like to be able to register what users (and perhaps categories) they would like to not see when logged in and taking part in the discussions. I guess you could also call it a "hide" feature. But the important thing is to be able to say "I really don't want to read anything posted by this/these user(s)." To me, this sounds like a pretty good feature.

The other problem I have been having is when people use quotation marks within parentheses. Double quotation mark immediately followed by a right parenthesis is interpreted by the system as a smiley (!). The effect in some of the threads is pretty strange - when someone is saying something very serious and adding quotes or something like that in parenthesis, a smiley really makes things strange.

Anyway, these are the only two "problems" I have encountered with the version I'm using (which is, I believe, 1.6).

Thanks!

Per Bylund

Ignore Feature

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, December 15, 2007, 12:57 (5949 days ago) @ Per Bylund

Dear Per!

Anyway, these are the only two "problems" I have encountered with the version I'm using (which is, I believe, 1.6).

I'm also using the forum for some years. I would strongly suggest you to update to the current version (1.7.3) since some security problems (ie, JavaScript-Injection) were resolved. Also the optional captcha is a quite nice thing.
Go to the admin-area > forum settings > advanced settings
In the last line you see your current version.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Ignore Feature

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Saturday, December 15, 2007, 17:50 (5948 days ago) @ Alfie

I'm also using the forum for some years. I would strongly suggest you to update to the current version (1.7.3) since some security problems (ie, JavaScript-Injection) were resolved. Also the optional captcha is a quite nice thing.
Go to the admin-area > forum settings > advanced settings
In the last line you see your current version.

Thanks, Alfie. Trust me, I have considered updating to 1.7. But I decided to wait for the 2.0 release, since it will be a much greater upgrade. Also, I have a few extra fixes and have made some adaptations to the forum to fit my needs, which means there is extra work doing an upgrade.

As for Captcha, I already have the "addition" protection for non-logged in users implemented.

Per

Ignore Feature

by Irene ⌂ @, Sunday, December 16, 2007, 19:00 (5947 days ago) @ Per Bylund

The other problem I have been having is when people use quotation marks within parentheses. Double quotation mark immediately followed by a right parenthesis is interpreted by the system as a smiley (!).

Per,
I found this behavior a bit strange, too, but there is help. Go to the admin-area > smilies. If I remember correctly you'll have to delete some code for this ;-) and this :-) smiley:

;) and maybe also :)
instead use ;-) and :-)

("Result: no more smilies this way"). At least, it does work for me. Irene

Ignore Feature

by Alex ⌂, Friday, January 25, 2008, 18:03 (5907 days ago) @ Per Bylund

Hi Per Bylund,

ignore feature

Good idea. But do these guys always post with the same name / in the same category?

Double quotation mark immediately followed by a right parenthesis is interpreted by the system as a smiley (!).

Oh yes, that's really ugly! It's caused by htmlspecialchars: " is converted into " - followed by a ")" it forms the smiley code ";)". Unfortunately I cannot just interchange the two functions as htmlspecialchars would then deactivate the HTML code for the smilies. A quick solution would be removing the smiley code ";)".

Alex

Ignore Feature

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Friday, January 25, 2008, 19:15 (5907 days ago) @ Alex

Good idea. But do these guys always post with the same name / in the same category?

Actually, they do. They are usually even members. So an ignore feature that is based on 1) member name/login (or "Name" of poster) and 2) category of messages would be superb. But I realize this probably means more admin pages for individual users, since they would need somewhere to administer their "ignoring."

Oh yes, that's really ugly! It's caused by htmlspecialchars: " is converted into " - followed by a ")" it forms the smiley code ";)". Unfortunately I cannot just interchange the two functions as htmlspecialchars would then deactivate the HTML code for the smilies. A quick solution would be removing the smiley code ";)".

Oh, I see, that explains it. Darn.

Per Bylund

RSS Feed of thread