Bug in beta 15 (Bugs)

by Special @, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 04:35 (6028 days ago)

Hello developer friend,

When ever I post first topic in forum after installing beta 15 displays blank page, and I must empty forum before I can see it again.

You've removed captcha I don't think it's good, using other prvention techniques removes your claim of simplicity. It is making forum heavier and heavier.

reply me in email if possible

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 13:22 (6028 days ago) @ Special

When ever I post first topic in forum after installing beta 15 displays blank page, and I must empty forum before I can see it again.

I don't have this problem - can anybody else confirm this?

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Special @, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 13:27 (6028 days ago) @ Alex

The old version worked properly, but beta 15 shows blank page all over, can't even login to admin, nor I can see forum anymore, all goes blank as soon as I post firt post

both version installed in same environment at localhost.
Apache, MySQL, PHP

thanks for reply! hope others too confirms it soon.

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 13:35 (6028 days ago) @ Special

thanks for reply! hope others too confirms it soon.

I'm sorry, at the moment I do not have a clue what the problem could be. So let's wait for other reports about beta 15.

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Otto, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 17:00 (6028 days ago) @ Alex

I do not know the exact problem, but I recognize a similar problem. I upgraded my test forum from build 13 to build 14. After some tweaks (for instance added the avatar fields in the database), I got the forum running. Then I uploaded all to my web space. All looked well, until I wanted to show a full thread (or opened a message in the table view). When I did so, I get a totally blank screen, so not even a header, just blank. I have no clue what went wrong. At this moment I am going to install build 15.

Otto

Bug in beta 15

by Otto, Thursday, October 18, 2007, 21:10 (6028 days ago) @ Otto

I have no clue what went wrong. At this moment I am going to install build 15.

I have installed build 15, but also no thread view. Then I started examining where it went wrong. After 3 hours of code crawling, I found the cause in the file "thread.inc.php" It appears that the PHP interpreter crashed on the instruction on line 103:

if(!($data['formated_time'] = @iconv($lang['server_default_charset'], $lang['charset'], strftime($lang['time_format_full'], $data['disp_time']))))

And the similar statement on line 141.

When I comment those two lines the script runs again.

Otto

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Friday, October 19, 2007, 00:58 (6028 days ago) @ Otto

After some tweaks (for instance added the avatar fields in the database), ...

BTW: the SQL queries to update can be found in the change log.

I have installed build 15, but also no thread view. Then I started examining where it went wrong. After 3 hours of code crawling, I found the cause in the file "thread.inc.php" It appears that the PHP interpreter crashed on the instruction on line 103:
if(!($data['formated_time'] = @iconv($lang['server_default_charset'], $lang['charset'], strftime($lang['time_format_full'], $data['disp_time']))))

OK, thank you Otto, I will look at it! These lines convert the date string into utf-8 because strftime() doesn't provide an utf-8 string (this can cause problems with non English weekdays or month names).

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Special @, Friday, October 19, 2007, 03:25 (6027 days ago) @ Alex

Between, I wanna ask, Can't we expect Captcha in upcoming versions?

And just now I found one thing while adding reply in this textarea box, I have slow internet connection, maybe javascript loaded slowly, but when I wrote about a line of text and then only the quoted text was hidden along with what i had written till now. And it became mess I had to reformat text. And mylittleforum is faster ppl in slow connection, maybe you should consider this thing too.

anyways thanks

Bug in beta 15

by Special @, Friday, October 19, 2007, 03:43 (6027 days ago) @ Special

Hi Alex,

I saw the change log, and now I think you are taking this script toward to become just another forum script. I bet as you add complexity the special catch of mylittleforum script will be go.

I would rather you add versions in such way that complexity levels makes the different versions. like:-

features 1,2,3,4,5,-,-,- are in mylittleforum1
features 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are in mylittleforum2

I am a programmer as well (also php), but a lazy one ;-), I could chouse even phpbb or other scripts, but this time in my new forum I wanted something special, something very light. That is the thing makes me come to mylittleforum if I had to choose a forum full of features I would never have been here.

So I recommend you to make script more secure but not heavy with different features. If you want to keep features you can consider different versions of features as I told earlier.

Please do not mind if I have said anything that hurts you.
Thanks

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Friday, October 19, 2007, 15:06 (6027 days ago) @ Special

Hi Special,

I saw the change log, and now I think you are taking this script toward to become just another forum script. I bet as you add complexity the special catch of mylittleforum script will be go.

Well, there are a lot of changes in version 2, but I still want to keep it simple! Anyway the most things are backend issues like the template engine. This separates code from design and sould make it easier for other developers to modify the script.
Though there are also some new JavaScript features, the forum still works withoout JavaScript - and I will keep that! I'm also up front with accessibility issues, text browser compatibility etc.

I would rather you add versions in such way that complexity levels makes the different versions. like:-
features 1,2,3,4,5,-,-,- are in mylittleforum1
features 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are in mylittleforum2

There's still the 1.7 branch - however, there's not much development at the moment on this version.

Please do not mind if I have said anything that hurts you.

Don't worry! Thanks for your comments! :ok:

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Friday, October 19, 2007, 14:38 (6027 days ago) @ Special

Between, I wanna ask, Can't we expect Captcha in upcoming versions?

As Akismet works really good I thought CAPTCHA isn't necesary anymore. But in order to be independent from this service I'll think about it!

And just now I found one thing while adding reply in this textarea box, I have slow internet connection, maybe javascript loaded slowly, but when I wrote about a line of text and then only the quoted text was hidden along with what i had written till now. And it became mess I had to reformat text. And mylittleforum is faster ppl in slow connection, maybe you should consider this thing too.

Yes, maybe it's too slow on the onload event. I'll try to put in in the body after the textarea.

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Special @, Friday, October 19, 2007, 14:58 (6027 days ago) @ Alex

again :-)

by the way is this a bug

[image]

Bug in beta 15

by Alex ⌂, Friday, October 19, 2007, 15:18 (6027 days ago) @ Special

by the way is this a bug

[image]

What exacly do you mean? The red arrow means "new", red subject means "this is the posting you're reading at the moment". If this is also a new posting, the arrow could also be red but so far I didn't specify a corresponding CSS class.

Alex

Bug in beta 15

by Special @, Friday, October 19, 2007, 15:30 (6027 days ago) @ Alex

In the image you can see that I've already been through the page, and neither it is new for me as i've already read, nor it is latest post, isn't it? i'm sorry if i am wrong.

few more things
At first when I posted a link to image in earlier post i didn't get following error, but when i replied same link in quoted message gives following error.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7721/21396762tp3.png

also I think
"Remember userdata (cookie)" sounds little technical for forum visitors so it would be better if it was "Remember me" what do you think? (though i could change it myself where i install, i'm just sharing my view)

thanks

RSS Feed of thread