some remarks (General)

by done, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 11:09 (6221 days ago)

I wanted to make some remarks on several things.
first of all, i think the ajax preview-featur isn't really necessary.
either i want to view a certain posting or i don't. in both ways, i have to click once. so, there is no simplification. perhaps you should make it optional.
secondly, i think it would be better to not only take over the subject of a posting when answering it, but to add "re:" to it.
furthermore, i don't understand why the username of the author of a posting is saved into the entry-table. what if i wanted to change a certain username later?
last but not least, i don't get the point what actually is the difference between board-view and viewing the whole thread in thread-mode.

some remarks

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 13:02 (6221 days ago) @ done

Hi done,

first of all, i think the ajax preview-featur isn't really necessary.
either i want to view a certain posting or i don't. in both ways, i have to click once. so, there is no simplification.

It might be a little bit faster getting an overview of new postings (in different threads). But you're right, this should probably be optional.

secondly, i think it would be better to not only take over the subject of a posting when answering it, but to add "re:" to it.

I tested this already a while ago. The result were subjects like "re: re: re: re: How are you?". OK, a possibility would be to check if the subject already begins with "re:".

furthermore, i don't understand why the username of the author of a posting is saved into the entry-table. what if i wanted to change a certain username later?

If you change a username, the name is also changed in the entry-table. The reason for saving it in the entry-table is: if you delete a user, the postings would be nameless. This way, the names remain in the postings.

last but not least, i don't get the point what actually is the difference between board-view and viewing the whole thread in thread-mode.

The differences were the order and the indentations of the postings. But there isn't anymore a board-view in this version.

Alex

some remarks

by done, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 13:55 (6221 days ago) @ Alex

OK, a possibility would be to check if the subject already begins with "re:".

that's the way it should be done.

If you change a username, the name is also changed in the entry-table. The reason for saving it in the entry-table is: if you delete a user, the postings would be nameless. This way, the names remain in the postings.

don't take it personally, but i think this procedure isn't very elegant.
why should an information, i already have, be saved to the db about 100 times more? isn't that data waste?
I'd prefer to add a new column to the user table, in which the user-status (deleted|banned|etc.) could be saved. even if the user-information is finally deleted from the db, what can be said against marking postings with "user deleted"?

But there isn't anymore a board-view in this version.

ok, for me one of the the advantages of your script was it's flexibility...
what are your reasons for this change?

some remarks

by Alex ⌂, Sunday, March 18, 2007, 20:00 (6221 days ago) @ done

I'd prefer to add a new column to the user table, in which the user-status (deleted|banned|etc.) could be saved. even if the user-information is finally deleted from the db, what can be said against marking postings with "user deleted"?

I'll think about it. But so far I consider the user data table as an addition. All for the conversation important data should IMHO be in the entry table.

ok, for me one of the the advantages of your script was it's flexibility...
what are your reasons for this change?

If you have enabled both thread and board view, the users of the board view often "destroy" the threads since they tend to reply predominantly to the message stated below. Furthermore I think if there's a possibility to open the whole thread there's no need for the board view. Above all if you don't want to see all the threads on the index page you can now fold them.

some remarks

by ofra @, Friday, April 20, 2007, 16:25 (6188 days ago) @ done

don't take it personally, but i think this procedure isn't very elegant.
why should an information, i already have, be saved to the db about 100 times more? isn't that data waste?

Another posibility is: Don't save the username for registered users, just the user ID. When a user is deleted (through the admin panel, obviously, not directly through the DB), add the username to all of his entries and delete the user's data

RSS Feed of thread