Is There Any Spam Protection For MLF v1.7 (General)

by Larry @, Tuesday, August 14, 2007, 00:49 (6099 days ago)

Is there any Spam protection available for MLF v1.7 other than CAPTCHA that can be used for unregistered users?

Is There Any Spam Protection For MLF v1.7

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, September 03, 2007, 13:26 (6078 days ago) @ Larry
edited by Alfie, Monday, September 03, 2007, 13:44

Hi Larry!

Is there any Spam protection available for MLF v1.7 other than CAPTCHA that can be used for unregistered users?

Questions concerning the 1.x-branch please in the 'old forum'.

Some hints:

• the bad-word list (better than nothing...)
  • the bad-behaviour script as suggested by Phil. Remark: I never got it up and running on 1.6.2, but also did not seriously try, because in my forum only registered users are allowed to post and the math-CAPTCHA solved all problems with spammers in contact.php...

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Is There Any Spam Protection For MLF v1.7

by Larry Moore @, Friday, May 09, 2008, 23:28 (5829 days ago) @ Alfie

I also have MLF 1.7 set to only allow registered members to post but it is that contact form that I am having the problem with. I can not get CAPTCHA to work and I still have not been able to find any instruction on how to make it work.

Larry

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, May 10, 2008, 13:55 (5828 days ago) @ Larry Moore

Hi Larry!

Login as an admin, then
Admin area > Forum settings >
CAPTCHA > [x] Contact form
CAPTCHA type [x] Mathematical

If you want to use the graph CAPTCHA, select [x] Graphical instead

See also:
Note that the graphical CAPTCHA requires the GD Lib and at least one TTF font. Put the font files (*.ttf) into the folder captcha/fonts/. You can get fonts e.g. on free-fonts.com.

If you are not sure whether 'GD' is running, fire up a text editor and prepare a small php-script:

<?php
  echo 'PHP version: ' . phpversion();
  echo 'PHP info: ' . phpinfo();
?>

Save the file as e.g. 'xyz.php', upload it to your webspace and go for the address in your browser. Search the page for 'GD'; if you don't find a line like 'GD Support enabled', you are in bad luck. In such a case talk to your ISP.
The script 'xyz.php' must be deleted form the webspace afterwards - it's a safety risk.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Larry Moore @, Saturday, May 10, 2008, 14:47 (5828 days ago) @ Alfie

Thanks, but the CAPTCHA selection in the Admin area is what I am having a problem with. Specifically, when I login as Admin select "Contact Form" and "Mathematical" as type, the selection process does not work for the contact, registration or posting form.

The problem is that the selection box does not remain active. As such when ever I login again as Admin, the selection for the posting, contact and registration form is displayed with no selections, no check mark in the box. Consequently, I need to know how I can make my selection for the "Contact Form" permanent so that it will work. I am clicking "Save" but apparently the setup is not being saved for CAPTCHA.

I don't have that same problem with any on the other Admin options on MLF 1.7. When I make any other change in the setup, the change is saved and every thing works as it should but not CAPTCHA. The only selection that I can get for CAPTCHA is the default Mathematical setting, which also can not be changed to Graphical and saved.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be? Again, thank you for your assistance...

Larry

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Saturday, May 10, 2008, 15:12 (5828 days ago) @ Larry Moore

Hi Larry,

let's track it down.
Please try to set the CAPTCHA somewhere else:
Admin area > Forum settings > Advanced settings (bottom of page)

a new page is displayed:

captcha_contact 1
captcha_posting 0
captcha_register 0
captcha_type 0 (for the math-CAPTCHA, 1 for the graphical one)
... should do the job (CAPTCHA only for not registered users, contact form only).

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Larry Moore @, Saturday, May 10, 2008, 18:59 (5828 days ago) @ Alfie

There are no settings for CAPTCHA in the Advanced Settings. The settings that are available are is listed below:

access_for_users_only
additional_smilies
admin_mod_highlight
all_views_direct
answers_per_topic
autolink
autologin
bbcode
bbcode_img
board_view
count_users_online
count_views
dont_reg_edit_by_admin
dont_reg_edit_by_mod
edit_delay
edit_period
email_maxlength
email_notification
empty_postings_possible
entries_by_users_only
forum_address
forum_disabled
forum_email
forum_name
home_linkaddress
home_linkname
hp_maxlength
language_file
last_reply_link
mail_parameter
max_thread_indent_mix
max_thread_indent_mix_topic
mix_view
name_maxlength
name_word_maxlength
place_maxlength
place_word_maxlength
profile_maxlength
provide_rssfeed
quote_symbol
register_by_admin_only
remember_last_visit
remember_userdata
remember_userstandard
search_results_per_page
session_prefix
show_if_edited
show_registered
signature_maxlength
signature_separator
smilies
standard
subject_maxlength
subject_word_maxlength
template
text_maxlength
text_word_maxlength
thread_depth_indent
thread_indent_mix
thread_indent_mix_topic
thread_view
time_difference
topics_per_page
upload_images
upload_max_img_height
upload_max_img_size
upload_max_img_width
user_delete
user_edit
users_per_page
version

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 11, 2008, 11:29 (5827 days ago) @ Larry Moore
edited by Alfie, Sunday, May 11, 2008, 11:35

Dear Larry,

very strange. The CAPTCHA was introduced between 1.6.3 (2006-06-18) and 1.7.1 (2006-12-06) - I don't have all versions in my archive… According to the timestamp I suspect it 'came out' in v.1.7 around 2006-06-25. But since you are actually seeing the checkbox in the Admin section - it must be 'there'…
Do you have access to WebMySql at your webspace?
If yes, back-up the database (from the Admin menu, copy the entire stuff, paste it to a text-edior and save it somewhere on your local machine), connect via WebMySql to your databases, open the forum, open the table 'forum_settings' > Browse
If you are using the current (1.7.5) version, there should be 76 rows in the table.
Settings should be:

row #       name         value
 69    captcha_posting     0
 74    captcha_contact     1
 75    captcha_register    0 
 76    captcha_type        0

According to your list, you are also missing an entry 'stylesheet_file'.
Please come up with your results.
Are you really sure, you are running a clean 1.7 version - and never have replaced just part of the scripts, etc.?

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

1.7x CAPTCHA

by Larry Moore @, Sunday, May 11, 2008, 14:56 (5827 days ago) @ Alfie

The forum_setting in MySQL is as listed below. Also, the file that I downloaded and installed was named MLF v1.7 but thinking back I remember that version listed in the Advanced Settings for Forum Settings was listed as v1.6. If I am, in fact, using an older version is there a way for me to upgrade to v1.7 with out messing up my current setup or loosing my members?

Full Texts name value
Edit Delete forum_name Import-Export Help Forum
Edit Delete forum_email admin@import-export-help.us
Edit Delete forum_address http://import-export-help.us/forum/
Edit Delete home_linkaddress http://import-export-help.us/
Edit Delete home_linkname Home
Edit Delete language_file english.php
Edit Delete template template_2.html
Edit Delete access_for_users_only 1
Edit Delete entries_by_users_only 1
Edit Delete register_by_admin_only 0
Edit Delete standard board
Edit Delete thread_view 0
Edit Delete board_view 1
Edit Delete mix_view 0
Edit Delete show_registered 0
Edit Delete remember_userstandard 1
Edit Delete remember_userdata 1
Edit Delete remember_last_visit 1
Edit Delete all_views_direct 0
Edit Delete thread_depth_indent 15
Edit Delete thread_indent_mix 20
Edit Delete max_thread_indent_mix 300
Edit Delete thread_indent_mix_topic 30
Edit Delete max_thread_indent_mix_topic 500
Edit Delete empty_postings_possible 0
Edit Delete email_notification 1
Edit Delete user_edit 1
Edit Delete user_delete 0
Edit Delete show_if_edited 0
Edit Delete dont_reg_edit_by_admin 1

Update within 1.x branch

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 11, 2008, 23:34 (5827 days ago) @ Larry Moore

Hi Larry,

OK, now it’s clear: you are stuck with an older version. Updating within the 1.x branch is not problematic (actually I did it from 1.4.1beta regularily up to 1.7.5) and never lost anything.
If you have modified the scripts (e.g., new BBCodes), template.html, and/or style.css take care about differences (there is software out there doing this for you - like GNU diff).
Essentially start with a back-up (you never know), fire up install.php and that’s it… (‘install.php’ asks whether you want to install a new forum or to update from an earlier version)

Are you in a hurry? - I’ll be off next week…

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Update within 1.x branch

by Larry @, Monday, May 12, 2008, 00:59 (5827 days ago) @ Alfie

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens. But won't I be overwriting all my old files when I upload the 1.7 update to install it? I guess that I could just re-upload my modified files such as "Template, style.css, etc" after I have updated to MLF v1.7. As long as it doesn't affect the database files, I don't see any major problems. I always keep a backup.

Again, I will give it a try and I will drop you a line if I have any problem, if you don't mind . I am in no hurry and you can reply at your convenience...

Larry

Update within 1.x branch

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, May 12, 2008, 11:33 (5826 days ago) @ Larry

Hi Larry!

[…] As long as it doesn't affect the database files, I don't see any major problems.

Yes, this is exactly the point. The database structure was modified between versions - therefore I was asking you to have a look at one of the forum’s tables.
Unless you run an update by a script, you will never get the new functions up and running. Using new scripts with an old database-structure would just fill up your server’s error-log.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Update within 1.x branch

by lmoore, Monday, May 12, 2008, 15:13 (5826 days ago) @ Alfie

Ok, I am getting a bit confused now! If I update to MLF v1.7 will I have any thing left from my old installation. Specifically, will my members and categories still be there or will everyone have to register again and will I have create the forum categories all over again...

Update within 1.x branch

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 20:16 (5825 days ago) @ lmoore

Hi Larry!

First see the installation/update page. In my previous posts I wanted to make clear, that nothing is lost if you are running a new install - and using the update option of the script.
If you are just copying new scripts to your webspace, it won’t work, because the new functions are trying to access a changed structure of the database – which only the update can provide.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Update within 1.x branch

by lmoore, Monday, May 12, 2008, 01:14 (5827 days ago) @ Alfie

Does MLF 1.7 have an option that will allow users to delete their own account? Just checking before I start the update, I am not sure if I want to go through an update just for CAPTCHA. :) What added features does 1.7 have that the current version that I'm using does not have. Does the "Board View" selection in the Admin setup actually work in 1.7?

Larry

Update within 1.x branch

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, May 12, 2008, 12:22 (5826 days ago) @ lmoore
edited by Alfie, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 00:41

Hi Larry!

Does MLF 1.7 have an option that will allow users to delete their own account?

No. And also not in the 2.x-branch (current beta26).
If I remember it correctly, there were some discussions, but the technical aspects were cumbersome. As of 1.7.5 only Admins (not even moderators) may delete users (the respectve section following line 235 of 'user.php' is commented out). If a user is deleted, his/her post(s) remain in the forum, but there’s no more link to the user’s name (though it’s given as plain text).
Even a new user with the same name may register to the forum.

I am not sure if I want to go through an update just for CAPTCHA.

I really would recommend it. For me it was a great relief in terms of SPAM-traffic.

What added features does 1.7 have that the current version that I'm using does not have.

Still I don’t know what’s your version - 1.6-something?
Potential safety-breaches were removed (JavaScript-injection, Session-handling, end-of-line handling and check for badwords in the contact-form),…

Does the "Board View" selection in the Admin setup actually work in 1.7?

Sure, as I remember it did so since 1.4x?

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Update within 1.x branch

by lmoore, Thursday, May 15, 2008, 12:59 (5823 days ago) @ Alfie

Alfie,

To not waste any more of your time, can you tell me what I need to do to upgrade to MLF v1.7 and what I will loose by doing so. Specifically, will do upgrade be like a fresh start and will I be required to register all my members again or will I just have to upload my modified pages again after the upgrade? Also, what will happen with the MySQL, etc?

Larry

Update within 1.x branch

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, May 15, 2008, 19:34 (5823 days ago) @ lmoore

Hi Larry,

I gave you an answer already two days ago… ;-)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Update within 1.x branch

by lmoore, Saturday, May 17, 2008, 15:22 (5821 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by lmoore, Saturday, May 17, 2008, 15:41

I tried updating and I got the following message "The version of the old installation is not supported by the update script." Apparently, I can only install MLF v1.7 as a complete new installation. Don't know if I'm ready to go through the set up again. Never the less, thank you for your assistance...

Corrections, I just went back and checked and now I am getting "Error!
A database error has occurred" when I click on and try to viw one of the messages posted so it look like I will have to install MLF v1.7 after all. It appears that my current installation is no longer working!

Larry

Failed Update within 1.x

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 01:17 (5821 days ago) @ lmoore
edited by Alfie, Sunday, May 18, 2008, 01:24

I tried updating and I got the following message "The version of the old installation is not supported by the update script."

Oh my god! Install.php can handle versions down to 1.3 - that's pre-2004... And in the case that no information of the version was found in the database, the script should have asked...

Apparently, I can only install MLF v1.7 as a complete new installation. Don't know if I'm ready to go through the set up again. Never the less, thank you for your assistance...

Sorry! :crying:

Corrections, I just went back and checked and now I am getting "Error!
A database error has occurred" when I click on and try to viw one of the messages posted so it look like I will have to install MLF v1.7 after all. It appears that my current installation is no longer working!

This is very strange. Install.php should quit after the message you reported - and not modify the database. I'm afraid you will have step back and restore the database from the last MySQL-dump.
:confused:

Just saw that the math-CAPTCHA of contact.php of your forum is up to 1.7.5 and running; so finally - how did you do it? :ok:

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread