Any other websites using MLF? (General)

by Max, Friday, June 23, 2023, 16:56 (309 days ago)

I would love to know! Thanks.

Any other websites using MLF?

by Thoma, Saturday, July 01, 2023, 21:30 (300 days ago) @ Max

https://citadel.plus

I built a gaming community forum on this engine and tried to make it look a bit more modern. The players still call it old fashioned, many don't understand the "threads" and how to use it. I was thinking of replacing the Reply Subjects with the first sentence of the response message or the first 100 characters for example to make it more intuitive.

Also, some bugs were fixed (ex: png transparency for avatars), added the image zoom on click (medium-zoom.js), removed the "index.php" from the urls, added instant.js.

Here's my verdict. I really like the threaded forums, it's pretty clear for me, it helps to avoid turning the forum into an endless chat. But for the new generations and the general purpose forums, I think it's over for now. Maybe, and I hope it will be "rediscovered" in the future to become cool again.

by Thoma, Saturday, July 01, 2023, 21:44 (300 days ago) @ Thoma

Just remembered, the views count! Fixed it with:

if (isset($settings['count_views']) && $settings['count_views'] == 1 && !is_bot() && $entrydata['ip'] !== $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])

Don’t give up!

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, July 02, 2023, 13:35 (300 days ago) @ Thoma
edited by Alfie, Sunday, July 02, 2023, 13:41

Hi Thoma,

Here's my verdict. […] But for the new generations and the general purpose forums, I think it's over for now. Maybe, and I hope it will be "rediscovered" in the future to become cool again.

Be patient. You had 70 posts in three months. That’s not uncommon for a new forum.
Mine had 32 (‼) in five months of the first year, 370 in the second, and 1,000 in the third. Sometimes I had more than twenty posts per day. My average is ~1,400 / year – and it’s a highly specialized scientific forum where only registered users can post.

Likely your ‘target community’ simply don’t know of its existence yet. Use social media and a link to your e-mail signature to spread the word.

PS: Asking for donations to run the site is possibly counterproductive.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Don’t give up!

by Thoma, Monday, July 03, 2023, 07:34 (299 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by Alfie, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 14:30

Hi Alfie,

Asking for donations to run the site is possibly counterproductive

Thank you! It's about the game server and not the forum itself, maybe the large donate button confused you.

There are few bugs I forgot to mention for further improvements (about the base path in js, ajax preview popup on mobile and the ajax_preview icon flashing on page loading). I'll file an issue for this on github later on.

by Revolut, Wednesday, July 12, 2023, 22:03 (289 days ago) @ Max

WGvdL https://wgvdl.com/forum3

This forum started on 20.6.2001 and uses My Litle Forum since 11.5.2006

by Taurec, Saturday, July 15, 2023, 05:51 (287 days ago) @ Max

My forum "Weltenwende" about precognitive, paranormal and parapsychological subjects.

It runs since 2008, has about 48,000 entries and is heavily modded. For instance I managed to create a complete integration of Bluimp's Ajax Chat to the forum's user database, so the users can switch seamless between both and access the chat using the MLF-session without separate registration/login. Also the chat configuration can be edited from the forum's admin panel.

Regards
Taurec

RSS Feed of thread