I need to leave empty space for some sentences or words (Technics)

by Zhou Liuxi @, Beijing, China, Monday, December 05, 2022, 14:57 (501 days ago)

Dear friend(s):
I'm a new hand in making internet texts. From time to time, I need to leave empty space for some sentences or words. For example, I would need to make the two lines (A) into another two lines (B):
(A) Summer heat today (B) Summer heat today
In its torrid way, In its torrid way,
But when I push the words in the second line to the righthand direction,although the related words seem to have been pushed rightward, in fact that is not effective: when I come back to the finished text (to be shown to the readers), nothing has been done. I understand that I have not used any program rules (for example, in someone's program, I should have typed in some blocks [or bricks] to mean that this place must be empty as long as five letters). Please kindly tell me how to do it.
Thank you!

I am told to write a letter for help in this place; and I expect to receive your answer here. But I
also reserve an Email address for your potential use: zhouliuqi2013@163.com.

I need to leave empty space for some sentences or words

by Micha ⌂, Monday, December 05, 2022, 15:08 (501 days ago) @ Zhou Liuxi

Hi,

use the undocumented tag [pre][/pre], i.e.,

(A)  Summer heat today                  (B) Summer heat today
            In its torrid way                      In its torrid way

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Tags:
pre

test space

by Saluton, Wednesday, December 07, 2022, 02:36 (500 days ago) @ Micha

use the undocumented tag

, i.e.,

In its torrid way In its torrid way

space          space

In its torrid way                      In its torrid way

Thanks for your help, Micha!

by Solis ⌂, Urumqi, Xinjiang, China 中国新疆乌鲁木齐, Wednesday, December 07, 2022, 07:41 (500 days ago) @ Micha

I solved my problem with your Solution. Thanks, Micha

China Espeanto Forum

--
I speak Chinese & Esperanto.
我说汉语和世界语。
Mi parolas ĉine kaj Esperante.
-----------------------------
https://reto.cn
my forum using MLF
https://reto.cn/forum

by Zhou Liuxi, Friday, December 09, 2022, 21:33 (497 days ago) @ Micha

Dear, Macha,
Thank very much for showing me how to leave space.
Zhou Liuxi

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, December 07, 2022, 16:34 (499 days ago) @ Zhou Liuxi

Hello

This is to clarify te issue a bit.

I'm a new hand in making internet texts. From time to time, I need to leave empty space for some sentences or words. For example, I would need to make the two lines (A) into another two lines (B):
In its torrid way, In its torrid way,
But when I push the words in the second line to the righthand direction,although the related words seem to have been pushed rightward, in fact that is not effective: when I come back to the finished text (to be shown to the readers), nothing has been done.

No Sir, that's not really true. "Nothing has been displayed" would match the situation much better.

[image]

As you can see in the screenshot of the source code view of your posting, the spaces are still existing in the saved entry. Your problem is, that any internet browser will merge all spaces, tabs and line breaks of the textual source, which stand in an uninterrupted row, into one space in the document output. This is a HTML-internal mechanism.

That is, what happens to you. That is, why you need a mechanism to prevent the merge, the HTML-element <pre> with its (MLF-own but undocumented) BB-Code equivalent [pre].

Please be aware of the monotyped output of the pre-element. For most cases this is wanted and I think your use case falls into this section. But, … who knows …

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread