A few hints about the upgrade of this forum to 20220508.1 (General)

by Auge ⌂, Monday, May 09, 2022, 10:01 (716 days ago)

Hello,

Yesterday in the evening, during the preparation of the release 20220508.1 I wrote down the release entry, the one I am now replying to. Copying the emojis into the text it became clear to me that I did not upgrade this forum instance from 2.4.24 to 20220508.1. Because of that, saving my forum entry would definitely fail.

I tested the upgrade before with test installations on my own webspace, starting from versions 2.4.22, 2.4.23 and a pimped 2.4.99.3. None of these instances contained many entries or users. I was sure afterwards, that the upgrade would succeed but I wasn't able to say anything about the performance or possible pitfalls during the upgrade on instances with many datasets (especially entries and user data).

I started the upgrade of the project forum with crossed fingers. I saw instantly, that there was a considerable difference in the time, the upgrade lasted. While the upgrade of the database structure in a more or less empty forum instance took less than a second, it needed around five to seven seconds in this forum. This is mainly caused by altering more or less all tables, generating or deleting columns and a few new indexes in the entries and user data table.

All in all it took a bit more time as on all upgrades I saw before but if one knows about the demand of time, it is nothing one has to worry about. Do not forget to replace all of the files and directories, that are advertised to be replaced with it's new versions and in case of formatting problems start with [CTRL]+[F5] to reload the web ressources from the server to bypass the browser cache.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread