Getting Logged Out After A Certain Amount Of Time? (General)

by Ramu, Friday, November 26, 2021, 11:41 (880 days ago)

When logged in, after a certain amount of time maybe 35 to 45 minutes of inactivity (not clicking any links) if I then click a link I'm logged out. It can be annoying when reading long threads and then I go to reply to someone.

Is it some security setting of the script or would it be some server setting? How do I change this time limit please?

Getting Logged Out After A Certain Amount Of Time?

by Auge ⌂, Saturday, November 27, 2021, 11:01 (879 days ago) @ Ramu

Hello

When logged in, after a certain amount of time maybe 35 to 45 minutes of inactivity (not clicking any links) if I then click a link I'm logged out. It can be annoying when reading long threads and then I go to reply to someone.

Is it some security setting of the script or would it be some server setting? How do I change this time limit please?

This is the normal PHP-session lifetime limit. It's a server side setting (php.ini, user.ini, .htaccess, etcetera). If you have access to these settings (ask your hosting company, if and how), you can change it.

Otherwise there is only the possibility to circumvent the issue by reloading (at least) one forum page regularly. I installed the AddOn Tab Reloader in my Firefox browser to be able to reload individual tabs. That way I reload a forums main page in a 15 minutes rhythm while reading and writing single entries in separate browser tabs. I'm sure, there are similar AddOns for Chromium based desktop browsers (Chrome, Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, etcetera) and also for Safari. On the other hand I don't know, how it looks on the mobile browser market.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by MagMel, Wednesday, June 08, 2022, 18:46 (686 days ago) @ Auge

I have this problem and the host says they can't increase session times on a shared server and tried to get me onto a $70 a month VPS plan :lookaround:

Is that right though? Nothing can be done on a shared server even in your own .htaccess file?

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 08, 2022, 20:04 (685 days ago) @ MagMel

Hello

I have this problem and the host says they can't increase session times on a shared server …

Is that right though? Nothing can be done on a shared server even in your own .htaccess file?

That's what I wrote:

If you have access to these settings (ask your hosting company, if and how), you can change it.

If they say you can't, then you can't.

Normally the session life time is something around 30 minutes. If you request a forum ressource within this time limit, the session will not exceed. Together with the cookies, the forum can be set to identify you at a later time (pay attention to the checkbox for "Log me in automatically on this computer" on login page), and the forum setting to allow auto login (set autologin to 1 in the enhanced settings) I can call the forum every few days without the need to login again (and again).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by MagMel, Friday, June 10, 2022, 01:06 (684 days ago) @ Auge

I know the clue is in the name 'autologin'

But what behaviour should I expect if I tick the 'log me in automatically' box because I have tested it and don't see any real difference.

If I don't tick the box / login / then close the window and exit the browser then re-launch the browser and go to my site I'm still logged in

If I do tick the box / login / then close the window and exit the browser then re-launch the browser and go to my site I'm still logged in

If I do tick the box or don't tick the box then login then close the browser, after a few hours I come back and re-launch the browser and I'm logged out

So when you tick the box what actually happens then with the script? does it add an extra cookie or something? What behaviour should I expect? Thanks

RSS Feed of thread