Version 2.4.23, problems with icons and its placement (General)

by shian, Thursday, October 01, 2020, 09:08 (1300 days ago)

You can download the new release 2.4.23 from Github or, if you have already installed a 2.4-release, following the link in the menu page of your forums admin area.

Please report any problems with the new version here.

I downloaded and installed 'mylittleforum-2.4.23.tar.gz', at:
https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum-2/index.php

( using my existing database from mylittleforum-2.4.21.tar.gz:
https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum/index.php )

Here are two bugs:

'To top' has no arrow, and the RSS image is under...:
[image]

'To top' has no arrow:
[image]

This is not because I've changed the default theme, i.e. the files:
forum-2/themes/default/main.tpl
forum-2/themes/default/style.min.css
(I did not mess with the RSS and Top code)

Thank you, shian.

Version 2.4.23, problems with icons and its placement

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, October 01, 2020, 10:04 (1300 days ago) @ shian

Hello

Here are two bugs:

'To top' has no arrow, and the RSS image is under...:
[image]

'To top' has no arrow:
[image]

This is not because I've changed the default theme, i.e. the files:

Of course, it is. Or, to be exact, it is because you forgot to adapt the changes of the latest release to your theme.

Wether the removal of padding-left from the ruleset in line 60 nor the replacing rules in the lines 61 and 77 are part of your style.min.css. I also miss the rules for the arrow icon on the lines 78 and 149 in your style.min.css (line numbers taken from the 2.4.23 release).

Please adapt these changes to your theme, load it up to your server and reload your forum in your browser (bypass the browser cache with [CTRL]+[F5]).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by shian, Thursday, October 01, 2020, 15:20 (1300 days ago) @ Auge
edited by shian, Thursday, October 01, 2020, 15:50

Wether the removal of padding-left from the ruleset in line 60 ...

line 60 should be:

a.rss{background:url(images/bg_sprite_1.png) no-repeat 3px -1048px}

in https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum-2/themes/default/style.min.css line 60 is:

a.rss{background:url(images/bg_sprite_1.png) no-repeat 3px -1048px}

Yet, when I save the html file 'https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum-2/index.php' I see in 'style.css' the following line:

a.rss{padding-left:13px;background:url(images/bg_sprite_1.png) no-repeat 0 -1048px}

Which actually must be:

a.rss                    { background:url(images/bg_sprite_1.png) no-repeat 3px -1048px; }

I've tested it in the newest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera.
It does not make sense, but it's true.

I don't really understand why. I have two directories, /forum/ and /forum-2/ and I've erased the browser's history completely to reload the new style.min.css file... yet /forum-2/ takes the css file from /forum/. :-|

Is it because I've installed two versions of the forum in two directories?
Is it because both versions is using the same SQL database?

Why does /forum-2/ directory is using the css files of /forum/ directory??? :confused:

BTW, you can also see my https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum-2/themes/default/main.tpl (which I've changed)

And this is my https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum-2/themes/default/style.css

by Micha ⌂, Friday, October 02, 2020, 08:36 (1299 days ago) @ shian

Hi,

I took a look to your forums. I notice a different HTML structure for the footer:

The old structure reads (taken from /forum/):

<div id="footer">
<div id="footer-1">51 Postings in 9 Threads, 3 registered users, 4 users online (0 registered, 4 guests)<br />
Forum time: 2020-10-02, 08:25 (UTC)</div>
<div id="footer-2">
<ul id="footermenu">
<li><a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss" title="RSS Feed of all new postings">RSS Postings</a> &nbsp;<a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss&amp;items=thread_starts" title="RSS Feed of thread starting postings only">RSS Threads</a></li></ul></div>
</div>

versus (the new one in /forum-2/)

<div id="footer">
<div id="footer-1">51 Postings in 9 Threads, 3 registered users, 4 users online (0 registered, 4 guests)<br />
Forum time: 2020-10-02, 08:26 (UTC)</div>
<div id="footer-2">
<ul id="footermenu">
 <li><a href="#top" class="go-to-top-link" title="Go back to top of the page">To top</a></li>
 <li><a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss" title="RSS Feed of all new postings">RSS Postings</a></li>
 <li><a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss&amp;items=thread_starts" title="RSS Feed of thread starting postings only">RSS Threads</a></li></ul>
</div>
</div>

Since the footer was re-structured by a list (Thanks to Auge for this semantic change!), the corresponding CSS must be adapted, too. There are several changes in CSS-file not only the role a.rss, cf. #530, #531, and #533.

Both forums include the same CSS file (because of using the global variable {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} in template) but use different HTML structure for the footer.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by shian, Friday, October 02, 2020, 13:03 (1299 days ago) @ Micha

Both forums include the same CSS file (because of using the global variable {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} in template) but use different HTML structure for the footer.

/Micha

Hi Micha,

Thank you for your answer.

If the {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} is not a relational path - then how can anyone install two versions of my little forum? It's literally impossible. Therefore any attempt to "fix" any error is ridiculous since there is no error at all...

I assume that you should mention somewhere that one cannot install two different versions of my little forum... right?

The only option I have is to replace the mylittleforum-2.4.21.tar.gz installation with mylittleforum-2.4.23.tar.gz, i.e. I cannot test it before actually using it (in my case).

I guess that you should change {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} into relational path instead of absolute path, or something similar. Am I right? :lookaround:

Thank you,
shian.

by Auge ⌂, Friday, October 02, 2020, 15:42 (1299 days ago) @ shian

Hello

If the {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} is not a relational path - then how can anyone install two versions of my little forum? It's literally impossible. Therefore any attempt to "fix" any error is ridiculous since there is no error at all...

I assume that you should mention somewhere that one cannot install two different versions of my little forum... right?

I guess that you should change {$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme} into relational path instead of absolute path, or something similar. Am I right? :lookaround:

No, the URL with its path-(part) is absolute and that's intended. But, when your testing forum shares the database with your live forum (as you stated before), then it shares also the settings table with the settings for the live system (including the URL with the path to the live forum). Thatswhy your testing forum loads the CSS-file (status 2.4.21) from the live forum into your testing installation (status 2.4.23).

You can test the CSS in your testing forum by copying only the settings table (i.e. copying the table to mlf2_settings_test), address this testing table in the file config/db_settings.php as name for the array element $db_settings['settings_table'], load it into your testing forum and change the setting for the forum URL after a reload of the forum page (loads the new stats of db_settings.php). After an addtional reload with [CTRL]+[F5] (reloads all ressources from the webserver and circumvents the browser cache) you should have loaded the new CSS-file.

Tschö, Auge

--

Version 2.4.23, problems with icons... (solved for now)

by shian, Friday, October 02, 2020, 17:43 (1299 days ago) @ Auge

No, the URL with its path-(part) is absolute and that's intended. But, when your testing forum shares the database with your live forum (as you stated before), then it shares also the settings table with the settings for the live system (including the URL with the path to the live forum). Thatswhy your testing forum loads the CSS-file (status 2.4.21) from the live forum into your testing installation (status 2.4.23).

Thanks...!

I think that it's easier to create a new database for testing the new version then...

It's a good idea to mention it in the README.md file of a new version:
"To test only the new version you should create a new database..." or something like this (my English is terrible).

Thank you, shian.

Version 2.4.23, problems with icon's placement (NOT AGAIN!)

by shian, Saturday, October 03, 2020, 08:55 (1298 days ago) @ shian

I installed version 2.4.23 (I did a fresh install, only using my existing 2.4.21 SQL database), and... OK:

When you click 'Open in thread' you'll have a little bug again with the RSS icon, as you can see:
[image]

Thanks, shian.

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, October 03, 2020, 10:54 (1298 days ago) @ shian

Hi,

does your CSS files contain the rule p.right a.rss? If yes, includes the template the correct CSS file?

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by shian, Sunday, October 04, 2020, 10:06 (1297 days ago) @ Micha

does your CSS files contain the rule p.right a.rss?

Yes, my CSS file(s?) https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum/themes/default/style.min.css contain the rule p.right a.rss in line #61:

p.right a.rss{padding-left:15px}

As I said: I've made a fresh install of mylittleforum-2.4.23.tar.gz, after deleting the previous forum/ directory, therefore ALL files must belong to 2.4.23 version.

If yes, includes the template the correct CSS file?

Micha, I don't know which template to check, do you mean:

https://www.rapideuphoria311.com/forum/themes/default/main.tpl

If yes, then this is line #14:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{$FORUM_ADDRESS}/{$THEMES_DIR}/{$theme}/style.min.css" media="all" />

thank you, shian

by Micha ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2020, 07:34 (1297 days ago) @ shian

Hi Shian,

please check out the solution given by WorldofBB. I'm sure, it solves your issue. I have changed the CSS file in my forum and it seems to work fine.

/Micha

--

Version 2.4.23, problems with icon (NOT AGAIN! ) - SOLVED

by shian, Monday, October 05, 2020, 09:06 (1296 days ago) @ Micha

please check out the solution given by WorldofBB. I'm sure, it solves your issue. I have changed the CSS file in my forum and it seems to work fine.

/Micha

I did and it works great (after deleting the browser's history).

Thank you, shian.

P.s. When I have some time I need to install another instance of Version 2.4.23, with new SQL database, and test the Backup/Restore function, (I can't see why it did not work in my case until now).

by Auge ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2020, 11:21 (1296 days ago) @ shian

Hello

please check out the solution given by WorldofBB.

I did and it works great (after deleting the browser's history).

For the next time: On desktop systems with Windows or Linux as operating system it's enough to reload the page bypassing the browser cache with the key combination[CTRL]+[F5]. You don't have to delete the whole browser cache.

P.s. When I have some time I need to install another instance of Version 2.4.23, with new SQL database, and test the Backup/Restore function, (I can't see why it did not work in my case until now).

This would be great. I tested my changes with a backup of my own forum and a fresh table structure, created with the table-create-statements from install/install.sql. It worked. Let's see if this works in your forum too.

Tschö, Auge

--

by shian, Monday, October 05, 2020, 12:01 (1296 days ago) @ Auge

For the next time: On desktop systems with Windows or Linux as operating system it's enough to reload the page bypassing the browser cache with the key combination[CTRL]+[F5]. You don't have to delete the whole browser cache.

Good Idea! :-D Can't see the wood for the trees...!

I tested my changes with a backup of my own forum and a fresh table structure, created with the table-create-statements from install/install.sql. It worked. Let's see if this works in your forum too.

Tschö, Auge

Yea, I must do it. I wonder if enabling ALL access methods to the SQL database actually created the probelm ??? (By default only FEW access methods are enabled, and I, as usual, just clicked "Enable all"... Just wondering, because computers are so complex these days, almost like the modern 36 genders... no offense, but the complexity is getting ridiculous).

Thank you, shian.

Version 2.4.23: Backup/Restore functions WORK!!!!

by shian, Monday, October 05, 2020, 13:52 (1296 days ago) @ Auge

This would be great. I tested my changes with a backup of my own forum and a fresh table structure, created with the table-create-statements from install/install.sql. It worked. Let's see if this works in your forum too.

Tschö, Auge

UNBELIEVABLE! IT WORKS! THE BACKUP/RESTORE FUNCTION IN Version 2.4.23 Works on the temporary test-forum, and on the real-forum!

Furthermore: I've downloaded a cpanel backup After I've restored the real forum using the Admin Backup/Restore function - and the cpanel backup file size reduced from 139K to 70K ! Half!

I did not check each entry in the forum, but it seems to work as usual.

Thanks a lot Auge! (P.s. why don't you leave the Backup/Restore function in version 2.5? It is very unique to my little forum - I did not see it in other forums, and that was the reason that I started to use my little forum in the first place...).

by WorldofBB, Monday, October 05, 2020, 00:25 (1297 days ago) @ shian
edited by WorldofBB, Monday, October 05, 2020, 00:45

I replied to this initially with a suggestion that it might be a local caching issue because I wasn't seeing the issue on your site at first. I deleted my initial reply when I realized my mistake.

The problem occurs only in thread view, and it affects this site as well.

https://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=9738#p12330

The problem is because the p.right class is used in entry.inc.tpl, but it isn't used in either thread template:
thread.inc.tpl
thread_linear.inc.tpl

Which is why the padding isn't being applied in either of the thread views.

shian:

As a workaround, you could change line 61 in style.min.css to this:

p.right a.rss,div.small a.rss{padding-left:15px}

That should work fine, but I'm guessing the devs would want to do this a little differently since I'm noticing that there is some manual styling on these entries that should probably be converted to a css class at the same time.

Micha:

The relevant code is here:

thread.inc.tpl - line 91
{if $settings.rss_feed==1}<div class="small" style="text-align:right;"><a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss&amp;thread={$tid}" title="{#rss_feed_thread_title#}">{#rss_feed_thread#}</a></div>{/if}

thread_linear_inc.tpl - line 87
{if $settings.rss_feed==1}<div class="small" style="text-align:right;"><a class="rss" href="index.php?mode=rss&amp;thread={$tid}">{#rss_feed_thread#}</a></div>{/if}

by Micha ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2020, 07:31 (1297 days ago) @ WorldofBB

Hello WorldofBB,

Micha:

The relevant code is here:

Thank you for providing this solution. I have added your code the repository #534.

Kind regards
Micha

--

by shian, Monday, October 05, 2020, 08:25 (1296 days ago) @ WorldofBB

shian:

Thank you very much WorldofBB,

I'll apply your code as soon as I finish to enter my 134-characters-length password to the server... (without mistakes...) :-)

Thank you also for helping Micha.

All the best, shian.

by Auge ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2020, 11:40 (1296 days ago) @ WorldofBB

Hello

I replied to this initially with a suggestion that it might be a local caching issue because I wasn't seeing the issue on your site at first. I deleted my initial reply when I realized my mistake.

The problem occurs only in thread view, and it affects this site as well.

I also didn't see the problem in shian's forum because of the use of the single-entry-view. :-|

That should work fine …

It's good enough for an instantaneous fix.

… but I'm guessing the devs would want to do this a little differently since I'm noticing that there is some manual styling on these entries that should probably be converted to a css class at the same time.

I have to disagree (a little bit). Yes, a unification of the structure of the views is desirable. But you unified only the threaded view (nested view) with the flat threaded view (board view) but not with the single entry view, where the link is HTML-sided contained in a p (paragraph) and not in a div and where there is no inline styling.

For further details please compare entry.inc.tpl (line 68) with thread.inc.tpl (line 91) and with thread_linear.inc.tpl (line 87).

You are right, the inline styles should get replaced and this seems to be an easy task because entry.inc.tpl yet makes use of a proper class "right" (with a not so proper naming). It's debatable if a paragraph as the container is plausible or if the use of a div would be better but beside from that we should use the same HTML-structure in all three views. And when we do, we can use the same CSS-ruleset for all RSS-links in all views.

[edit-1]
Oh, not to forget. Thank you for your research and work.
[/edit-1]

[edit-2]
A doubled thank you. While doing my own research for comparision of the relevant code in the default theme and in my theme Responsive_1 I found similar structural differences in my own theme. There is some work waiting for me. :-)
[/edit-2]

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread