Goodbye MLF (General)

by Wombat, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 10:12 (1325 days ago)

I've been using MLF for two forums since 2004 but after 16 years and over 30,000 posts it was time to move on. This weekend I merged the two into a single Simple Machines installation.

Thanks to the all the developers for making MLF. Although I have chosen to abandon MLF it has served me well for most of the time. But in the later years it has become more and more evident that MLF hasn't managed to keep up with what users expect from a modern forum. The lack of a responsive design is of course one the reasons.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Goodbye MLF

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 12:47 (1325 days ago) @ Wombat

Hello

I've been using MLF for two forums since 2004 but after 16 years and over 30,000 posts it was time to move on. This weekend I merged the two into a single Simple Machines installation.

I had to search in several attempts to find "Simple Machines Forum" :-). Other than the name implies, it's a board software. Anyway. How did you import the content of your two forums into the new one? The converter collection does not contain a converter for MLF.

Thanks to the all the developers for making MLF. Although I have chosen to abandon MLF it has served me well for most of the time. But in the later years it has become more and more evident that MLF hasn't managed to keep up with what users expect from a modern forum. The lack of a responsive design is of course one the reasons.

There are a few attempts for a responsive theme but none of them is ready to replace the old default theme from 2007.

Good luck.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Goodbye MLF

by Wombat, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 18:04 (1325 days ago) @ Auge

How did you import the content of your two forums into the new one? The converter collection does not contain a converter for MLF.

I simply did a clean install of SMF and used phpMyAdmin to fetch the user data, entries and categories. I then imported it into the corresponding SMF tables. I described what I did in this post.

Goodbye MLF

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 20:31 (1325 days ago) @ Wombat

Hello

How did you import the content of your two forums into the new one?

I described what I did in this post.

Thank you for your reply. A little correction is necessary.

wrong is:

"Since MLF uses the LINK tag instead of URL …"

correct is:

"Since MLF uses the LINK tag additionally to URL …"

Tschö, Auge

--

Welcome to MLF

by shian, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 12:54 (1325 days ago) @ Wombat

But in the later years it has become more and more evident that MLF hasn't managed to keep up with what users expect from a modern forum. The lack of a responsive design is of course one the reasons.

[image]Hi Wombat

People expect too much.
When you expect too much it's a sign that you don't know what you really want or need.

The lack of a responsive design is a great thing. We are human beings - not androids.

Good luck with new forum.

Welcome to MLF

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 14:08 (1325 days ago) @ shian

Hello

People expect too much.
When you expect too much it's a sign that you don't know what you really want or need.

The lack of a responsive design is a great thing. We are human beings - not androids.

No, I have to disagree. Because we are human beings, it should be a matter of course to support displaying the forum on different devices with different techniques.

As an example, look at my (not yet complete) theme and load the test forum in your desktop browser in different browser window sizes and (if available) in your smartphone browser. You'll see the forum is readable on all devices in all browser windows sizes without the need to zoom the page. That's what we need for the forum as default (not coercively this implementation).

Tschö, Auge

--

Welcome to MLF

by shian, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 14:25 (1325 days ago) @ Auge
edited by shian, Wednesday, September 02, 2020, 14:50

As an example, look at my (not yet complete) theme and load the test forum in your desktop browser in different browser window sizes and (if available) in your smartphone browser. You'll see the forum is readable on all devices in all browser windows sizes without the need to zoom the page. That's what we need for the forum as default (not coercively this implementation).

These are good news indeed. :-)

BTW - It Works!

Thank you,

P.s. from my own perspective once technology controls human, as in technocracy, it's a game over for all of us. i.e. am I the owner of my smartphone or is it that the smartphone is my owner?

RSS Feed of thread