I attempted an upgrade to the latest code a few months ago and it was a real mess. I had to restore my board from backups.
All I see for instructions is from the Github page "Run the installation script by accessing yourdomain.tld/forum/install/ in your web browser and follow the instructions."
This is the installation instruction, not the one for the update.
I would like to understand the exact procedure to follow all in one place.
- Got a live MLF site as the top URL under a domain.
- Version of current site: 2.4.13
- I just grabbed 2.4.21.
So far, so good.
- Is a direct upgrade between the two versions possible or do I need an intermediate upgrade?
A direct upgrade from 2.4.13 to 2.4.21 is possible. There is no intermediate step to take.
- Does your upgrade also upgrade the MySQL DB in-place without any backup/restore needed?
Yes, ist does.
- Do I just copy the new MLF files on top of the web directory of the existing site and overwrite my old files with your new ones. And then run the /install noted above?
No, don't do this.
I note that db_settings.php in the install is a dummy but a diff shows that the DB settings themselves (host et) are all that are different in my version. What else can be trashed on the current site by writing over?
Where ot start with …
Do not overwrite a single file before you read the update instructions below.
I had a lot of trouble with this process before and I thought I followed the instructions but apparently I didn't do everything needed. The site stopped working (forget the issue) and I restored everything from a backup.
It seems, that you took a wrong way. Let's clarify, what to do.
Sorry for the somewhat irritating newbie time waster style step by step request but I much of the support forum is in German and nothing that I found like a FAQ pulls these issues together.
Ok, obviously we have to improve the update instructions. Let's start with a step by step instruction here.
1. Download of the new package. (done as stated by you)
2. Unzip the package locally on your computer.
3. Upload of the following files (in their directories) from the local copy of the new version to your webspace:
config/VERSION. The upload of both files from the new version is mandatory before you are able to start an update.
4. Disable the forum in the forum settings (accessible via the admin area).
5. Go back to the admin areas dashboard and follow the link to the update function (as seen in the following screenshot, next-to-last menu point).
6. Read the instructions, (you disabled the forum before and downloaded the new package, so you can skip the first steps) and follow the link to
update/update_2.3.5-2.4.php. (see the following screenshot)
Attention: If you ran an older version of the forum as 2.3.7 before, it is possible that you see a further update script, named
update_2.x-2.3.php. Please use only the script
7. Insert the password of your administrator account to confirm the run of the update script.
8. On the following page you'll get the success message for step one of the update (database operations) or an error message. In case of success you'll see a list of all script files that changed between your and the new version. You have to load up all the listed files and directories to your webspace (this is because not every file got altered with every version). After loading all changed files and directories of the new version to your webspace, you are done.
If you encountered errors, please report it instantaneously here in this forum thread.
Attention: Your forum was automatically reenabled by the script after the database operations. We might change this behaviour in the future. Please check that in the forum settings panel. This is recommended because you, logged in as the administrator, will see your forum in the enabled state, even it is disabled for everyone else.
I hope, my instructions will help you. Please give a report, if questions remain unanswered and also when your operation was successful.