Remove E-Mail verification in register (General)

by Temp @, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 10:12 (1723 days ago)

How can I remove the e-mail verification on register?
Thanks!

Bad idea

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 10:52 (1723 days ago) @ Temp
edited by Alfie, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 11:03

Hi Temp,

that’s a bad idea. I have a lot of anti-spam measures implemented in my forum (regexes for suspicious e-mails and names [1], a local list of nasty e-mails [2], a daily updated local copy of StopForum’s banned IPs [3], querying the e-mail address at SFS [4] and BotScout [5], filling out the registration form in <2 seconds [6]) and keep a log-file of rejected registration attempts. Since mid-October last year I blocked ~4,200 attempts.

You don’t want to go there.

Bots for sure. On the average it takes them 3.3 milliseconds to register (0.35–16.8 ms). Breakdown of my log-file:
[1]   6.4%
[2] 13.6%
[3] 61.6%
[4] 14.3%
[5]   0.6%
[6]   3.6%

I’m considering to switch off everything excepting the timings. If a registration takes milliseconds, that’s a bot. Full stop.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Remove E-Mail verification in register

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, July 11, 2019, 11:27 (1723 days ago) @ Temp

Hello

How can I remove the e-mail verification on register?

Are you talking about the e-mail, that contains the verification link for the new registered user?

If users are able to register themself, you cannot disable this verification because of security reasons. You as the forum operator can only abstain from the verification in case of the registration of a new user, performed by you as the forum administrator inside the admin panel.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread