update 2.3.4 -> 2.3.5 fails (General)

by Nico Hoffmann @, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 06:54 (1819 days ago)

I am still on 2.3.4 and followed the update guide and tried first 2.3.5, but it failed.

after accessing update_2.x-2.3.php I got an error message:

Fehler!

Database error in line 561:

There are no further details after the colon.

Any hints?

Nico Hoffmann

update 2.3.4 -> 2.3.5 fails

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 07:43 (1819 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello,

There is no SQL statement in line #561. Can you compare your update file with the update file at github? Can you provide line 561 of your update file?

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Nico Hoffmann @, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 11:53 (1819 days ago) @ Micha

Hello,

There is no SQL statement in line #561. Can you compare your update file with the update file at github? Can you provide line 561 of your update file?

/Micha

I used the tar archieve from https://github.com/ilosuna/mylittleforum/archive/v2.3.5.tar.gz

It's obviously different from your github version:

557    if(empty($update['errors']))
558     {
559      if(!@mysql_query("UPDATE ".$db_settings['settings_table']." SET value='".$update['new_version']."' WHERE name = 'version'", $connid))
560       {
561         $update['errors'][] = 'Database error in line '.__LINE__.': ' . mysql_error();
562       }
563     }

Nico Hoffmann

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:48 (1819 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hi,

Yes, of course. This file is not the current update script but you have to use it, see here.

557 if(empty($update['errors']))
558 {
559 if(!@mysql_query("UPDATE ".$db_settings['settings_table']." SET value='".$update['new_version']."' WHERE name = 'version'", $connid))
560 {
561 $update['errors'][] = 'Database error in line '.__LINE__.': ' . mysql_error();
562 }
563 }

Hmm, the update script was not able to set the right version number to the database table. Do you have access to your SQL database e.g. via PHPMyAdmin? Can you check, if the setting-table contains the key 'version'?

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Nico Hoffmann @, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 14:32 (1818 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

Yes, of course. This file is not the current update script but you have to use it, see here.

Sorry, *which* script is to use? That one in mlf 2.3.5, or that one from github?

557 if(empty($update['errors']))
558 {
559 if(!@mysql_query("UPDATE ".$db_settings['settings_table']." SET value='".$update['new_version']."' WHERE name = 'version'", $connid))
560 {
561 $update['errors'][] = 'Database error in line '.__LINE__.': ' . mysql_error();
562 }
563 }

Hmm, the update script was not able to set the right version number to the database table. Do you have access to your SQL database e.g. via PHPMyAdmin? Can you check, if the setting-table contains the key 'version'?

Yes, seems all right:

mysql> select * from v2mlf2_settings where name='version';
+---------+-------+
| name    | value |
+---------+-------+
| version | 2.3.4 |
+---------+-------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

N.

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 15:07 (1818 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello,

Sorry, *which* script is to use? That one in mlf 2.3.5, or that one from github?

Did you read the Notes beforehand the update and the entry Updates from 2.3.4 (or below) to 2.3.6 (and higher)?

Yes, seems all right:

Hmm, looks fine. I don't know the reason, why the datebase update fails. Maybe Auge has an idea... I'm sorry

/Micha

--

by Nico Hoffmann, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 15:38 (1818 days ago) @ Micha

Another question....

I could do a fresh install of a version 2.3.5, or 2.3.7 or whatever (using another db-prefix).

Then, I could take a backup from my currently running 2.3.4 forum and restore it in the newly installed version. That would avoid using the update procedure.
Is that possible?

Of course, I would have to adapt look and feel of the new version, but in total it might be less trouble.

N.

by Auge ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 17:46 (1818 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello

I could do a fresh install of a version 2.3.5, or 2.3.7 or whatever (using another db-prefix).

Take version 2.3.7 for a clean install.

Then, I could take a backup from my currently running 2.3.4 forum and restore it in the newly installed version. That would avoid using the update procedure.

Import a backup of your database content, not of your forum. ;-) And take the change in the settings table, described in my reply to Micha, into account (second last paragraph of the posting).

Of course, I would have to adapt look and feel of the new version, but in total it might be less trouble.

Your idea looks promising. I don't know, which and how many changes you made in the theme. During the development of the 2.4-branch we introduced several changes to the default theme, namely security relevant fields in most of the forms. We have a changelog for the default theme starting with version 2.4.6. It shows not every change since 2.3.4 but it nevertheless might be helpful.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Auge ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 17:35 (1818 days ago) @ Micha

Hello Micha,

I think you misunderstand Nico's concern. He want's to update from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 because of the conversion of the database functions. Your tip to use the current update file (update_2.3.5-2.4.php) will not work because at first it will fail for a source version below 2.3.5 and at second it did not exist in the sources for version 2.3.5.

I never saw an error with the update to version 2.3.5. On the other hand the update does not change anything in the database with the exception of the version string. Last changes in the database itself was performed with the update to 2.3.0 (see therefore the if-statement in line #549).

My assumption is that Nico or his hosting provider runs PHP7.x on the webserver. PHP7 no longer know the functions of the old myslq-lib and because in version 2.3.5 the only query to perform is the one to reset the version string, the script fails exactly at that point. On the other hand the version 2.3.4 should not be able to run a single mysql-function.

@Nico: To update from version 2.3.4 to 2.3.5 you can upload all files that are specified in the list for version 2.3.4. Afterwards you have to set the version number to "2.3.5" in the settings table.

On the other hand it should be a simpler solution to install version 2.3.7 and to import the content of the old forum. There is only one relevant change in the settings table in version 2.3.7, you have to check after moving the settings from the old to the new forum. Search for the setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins and set it to a value of 10 minutes in the case it has in reality a value different from 0. (see therefore the wiki page about the configuration settings)

From version 2.3.7 you should be able to update directly to the current version 2.4.19.1.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, April 27, 2019, 17:52 (1818 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge,

I think you misunderstand Nico's concern.

Thank you for clarifying!

Have a nice weekend
Micha

--

by Nico Hoffmann @, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 13:42 (1817 days ago) @ Auge

On the other hand it should be a simpler solution to install version 2.3.7 and to import the content of the old forum. There is only one relevant change in the settings table in version 2.3.7 you have to checkafter moving the settings from the old to the new forum. Search for the setting temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins and set it to a value of 10 minutes in the case it has in reality a value different from 0. (see therefore the wiki page about the configuration settings)

I choosed that option. Now, I have 2.3.4 and 2.3.7 in parallel. I had to change the database prefix from the 2.3.4 backup files before restoing it into 2.3.7. Also, I checked the temp_block_ip_after_repeated_failed_logins after restoring. Looks o.k. so far, now I try the step to 2.4.19.1

N.

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 13:51 (1817 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello Nico

Good luck and please do not forget to backup the script files and the database before the upgrade. :ok:

Tschö, Auge

--

by Nico Hoffmann @, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 17:51 (1817 days ago) @ Auge

Good luck and please do not forget to backup the script files and the database before the upgrade. :ok:

Bad luck, I get this error immediately after untaring mlf-2.4.19.1:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /homepages/u1406/update/mylittleforum-2.4.19.1/includes/functions.inc.php on line 1590

I extracted it to a new directory, so it is a new installation at this point.

N.

by Micha ⌂, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 18:05 (1817 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hi,

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /homepages/u1406/update/mylittleforum-2.4.19.1/includes/functions.inc.php on line 1590

Do you use PHP 5.3? The construct [] is defined since PHP 5.4.

/Micha

--

by Nico Hoffmann @, Sunday, April 28, 2019, 18:39 (1817 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

Do you use PHP 5.3? The construct [] is defined since PHP 5.4.

That's possible. My provider emaild me, that I use still 5.3 and he will disabling this version in mid of may in favour of 5.6 or 7.2.

Unfortunately, for personal reasons at the moment is no time for maintaining my forum. Next approach is in a few days...

N.

by Micha ⌂, Monday, April 29, 2019, 20:29 (1816 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello,

My provider emaild me, that I use still 5.3

The System requirements are PHP >= 5.4 and MySQL >= 5.0.

/Micha

--

Run your updated forum with PHP 7.2 or higher!

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 07:42 (1816 days ago) @ Nico Hoffmann

Hello

My provider emaild me, that I use still 5.3 and he will disabling this version in mid of may in favour of 5.6 or 7.2.

Even Micha stated that the forum script works with PHP from 5.4 upwards, this is only the technically view. You should choose PHP 7.2 to run the forum on it. Not only the code interpreter of PHP 7.2 is faster than of older versions but also it is more future proof. As I can read here and there many hosting providers shut down not only their outdated PHP installations up to version 5.5.x but also their PHP-5.6-installations. So the next step is PHP 7.2 at the moment.

The forum script (beginning with version 2.3.5) runs in PHP 7.2 without PHP-version-related problems. There's no need to run it under a within short time outdated PHP 5.6.

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread