Web server of the project site buggy or is it the forum? (General)

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 02:05 (1868 days ago)

Just to add to my previous post I am also getting a lot of HTTP ERROR 500 pages browsing around the MLF website either in normal or private mode

[image]

Version 2.4.19, status 500 on settings page

by Magma, Tuesday, February 05, 2019, 16:45 (1869 days ago) @ Magma

Hi, I updated to 2.4.19 and now the Forum settings link in the admin goes to a HTTP ERROR 500 page

/index.php?mode=admin&action=settings

All other links in the admin area seem to work.

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 09:33 (1868 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

I updated to 2.4.19 and now the Forum settings link in the admin goes to a HTTP ERROR 500 page

/index.php?mode=admin&action=settings

All other links in the admin area seem to work.

Can you please reupload the file includes/admin.inc.php? Maybe you forgot to upload it?

I've tested the fresh installation and also the update from a minor version of the forum and especially I tested the settings page (main and enhanced) because of the related changes and everything worked. This and my own forum got updates to 2.4.19 and I can change settings here and there (with the exception of a white page during a test here, next attempt succeeded).

I've absolutely no clue, what could have gone wrong.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 11:40 (1868 days ago) @ Auge

Can you please reupload the file includes/admin.inc.php? Maybe you forgot to upload it?

I re-uploaded it and still get the error. Every link in the admin area works except Forum Settings. I went from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19 I skipped 2.4.18.1

Also regular users are getting 500 errors sometimes clicking on bookmarks and sometimes selecting category.

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 14:25 (1868 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Can you please reupload the file includes/admin.inc.php?

I re-uploaded it and still get the error. Every link in the admin area works except Forum Settings. I went from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19 I skipped 2.4.18.1

Ok, it was an attempt.

Also regular users are getting 500 errors sometimes clicking on bookmarks and sometimes selecting category.

You are sure, that this error did not occure before you updated your forum?

Tschö, Auge

PS: I got an empty page (but no HTTP-status 500), when I opened the posting form to write this answer.

--

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 14:48 (1868 days ago) @ Auge

You are sure, that this error did not occure before you updated your forum?

No, I was reluctant to update because 2.4.18 was working good but I decided to update because it seemed only a couple of things had been changed like

fixed: when editing a posting, an activated subscription can not be saved in the database because of a syntax error on the database query

I've never seen a 500 error on MLF before and I guess this forum is on version 2.4.19 as since I updated to this version I too get 500 errors.

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 23:58 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

Can you confirm there is no missing updated 2.4.19 files from the list that need uploading?

[image]

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 08:35 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Can you confirm there is no missing updated 2.4.19 files from the list that need uploading?

[image]

List of changed files (2.3.18.1 to 2.4.19), files with no need to upload after an update in light gray:

- themes/default/style.css
- themes/default/style.min.css
- lang/english.lang
- lang/german.lang
- includes/admin.inc.php
- includes/functions.inc.php
- install/index.php
- install/install.sql
- themes/default/subtemplates/admin.inc.tpl
- includes/posting.inc.php
- update/update_2.3.5-2.4.php
- CHANGELOG
- index.php

This time I did not forget to mention a file. ;-)

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 16:06 (1868 days ago) @ Magma

Hi,

I can confirm this behavior in my forum. If I try to visit the settings, an error occurs.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Web server of the project site buggy or is it the forum?

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 09:20 (1868 days ago) @ Magma

Hallo

Just to add to my previous post I am also getting a lot of HTTP ERROR 500 pages browsing around the MLF website either in normal or private mode

I can't reproduce it nor retrace the problem. The webserver provides no logfiles for me and my Firefox browser acts bitchy every when and then since the update to version 65 (loaded pages stay white from time to time (no HTTP status 50x)) That happens with random web pages (including two or three occurences in the project forum) and also with local stored HTML files (on my machine).

Thatswhy I currently can't distinguish between a browser problem, a bug in the forum software and one in the webserver. I will use another browser for the next days for testing purposes.

Does anyone else sees any problems in any browser?

Tschö, Auge

--

by Michae1, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 10:03 (1868 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

I can confirm the 500er error. I got this error yesterday, during changing the SPAM properties (from 168 hours to 72 hours).

/Micha

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 10:39 (1868 days ago) @ Michae1

Hello

I can confirm the 500er error. I got this error yesterday, during changing the SPAM properties (from 168 hours to 72 hours).

Hmm, to bad having no logs. :-(

On my own server I get every few days simple-xml-errors during the search for a new version but nothing more. The lookup succeeds at the end but meanwhile the simple-xml-engine throws a bunch of errors because of invalid HTML-structures (not XML!). At that point I ask myself, if Github delivers from time to time error pages (HTML) when the script requests the Atom-feed.

… And I ask myself if that could have anything to do with our problems … but I don't know.

[edit]Have you updated your own forum and if yes, have you any problems?[/edit]

Tschö, Auge

--

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 16:23 (1868 days ago) @ Auge

My friend who helps run the forum emailed me this, any good to you?

When going to the Forum settings link in the admin area

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_fetch_all

includes/admin.inc.php on line 1188,

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 17:18 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

What's your PHP version? The function mysqli_fetch_all exists since PHP 5.3. We require PHP 5.4 as minimum.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Magma, Wednesday, February 06, 2019, 17:48 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

What's your PHP version? The function mysqli_fetch_all exists since PHP 5.3. We require PHP 5.4 as minimum.

Tschö, Auge

The cpanel says Server Information PHP Version 5.6.35

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 07:37 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

The cpanel says Server Information PHP Version 5.6.35

The only thing, I can think of as cause of this error, is the following notice in the PHP-manual-page for mysqli_fetch_all: "Available only with mysqlnd." Not every installation of PHP seems to have an activeted native driver even it is the default MySQL-driver since PHP 5.4.

I will rewrite the code to use the "classic" function mysqli_fetch_assoc instead mysqli_fetch_all. I hope to solve the issue that way because I found nothing else in the code that I would call suspect.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 12:39 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

includes/admin.inc.php on line 1188

Please replace the following code, beginning with line 1188:

$rGetSettingsEdit = mysqli_fetch_all(mysqli_query($connid, "SELECT name, value FROM " . $db_settings['settings_table']), MYSQLI_ASSOC);
   foreach ($rGetSettingsEdit as $line) {
    $settings_array[$line['name']] = $line['value'];
   }

with:

$rGetSettingsEdit = mysqli_query($connid, "SELECT name, value FROM " . $db_settings['settings_table']);
   while ($line = mysqli_fetch_assoc($rGetSettingsEdit)) {
   }

and in the next block for the advanced settings, beginning with line 1217 (I would like to point to the different database query):

$rGetSettingsEdit = mysqli_fetch_all(mysqli_query($connid, "SELECT name, value FROM " . $db_settings['settings_table'] ." ORDER BY name ASC"), MYSQLI_ASSOC);
   foreach ($rGetSettingsEdit as $line) {
   }

with:

$rGetSettingsEdit = mysqli_query($connid, "SELECT name, value FROM " . $db_settings['settings_table'] ." ORDER BY name ASC");
   }

This will not solve the problem(s) completely! I still get here an status 500 every when and then, not in the settings but on the main page. Have to dig further.

Tschö, Auge

[edit]Updated the posting to correct an error. Changed mysqli_fetch_assoc($connid, $rGetSettingsEdit) to the correct mysqli_fetch_assoc($rGetSettingsEdit).

--

by Magma, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 13:39 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

Doing what you said makes the Forum settings link work but the language is on Chinese and every text field is empty then clicking on advanced settings goes to an empty page with just an ok or submit button.

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 14:08 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Doing what you said makes the Forum settings link work but the language is on Chinese and every text field is empty then clicking on advanced settings goes to an empty page with just an ok or submit button.

I updated the project forum before I wrote the former posting. I tested the result and I saw the settings page and it looked as intended and it do it also now (screenshot taken at 2019-02-07 13:46 UTC).

[image]

The settings array was renamed in version 2.4.19 from $settings to $edSet in the script (admin.inc.php) and in the HTML-template admin.inc.tpl for the settings section. There is the user edit section where $settings is still in use!

Are you sure to update also the template? Please check, if the template contains the following code in line 11:

<td class="d"><input type="text" name="forum_name" value="{$edSet.forum_name|escape}" size="40" /></td>

If you see the follwing code instead …

<td class="d"><input type="text" name="forum_name" value="{$settings.forum_name|escape}" size="40" /></td>

… the template is outdated.

But as you said, you experimented with restoring the version 2.4.18(.1?) you possibly mixed up files from the both versions? I ask, because the advanced settings page got no change but in the admin.inc.php the name of the variable, passed to the template changed. See therefore the template section for the advanced settings, beginning with line 232 and for comparing the old with the new code, the admin.inc.php of version 2.4.18.1 and version 2.4.19

Tschö, Auge

--

by Magma, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 14:31 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

I updated from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19

<td class="d"><input type="text" name="forum_name" value="{$edSet.forum_name|escape}" size="40" /></td>

{elseif $action=='advanced_settings'}

I have both code in admin.inc.tpl

by Magma, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 13:55 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

Just to add after updating the code these errors show

PHP Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects exactly 1 parameter, 2 given in ... includes/admin.inc.php on line 1189

PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in ... admin.inc.php on line 1222

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 14:19 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Just to add after updating the code these errors show

PHP Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects exactly 1 parameter, 2 given in ... includes/admin.inc.php on line 1189

PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in ... admin.inc.php on line 1222

I'm sorry, my example code in the former posting was broken (I corrected it meanwhile). Change …

while ($line = mysqli_fetch_assoc($connid, $rGetSettingsEdit)) {

… to …

… on both places (settings section and advanced settings section).

And there is a further code change. Go to functions.inc.php, line 93 and change it from …

if ($current_time > intval($nda[0]['value'])) {

… to …

if ($current_time > intval($nda['value'])) {

That should solve Juanma's issue with the undefined offset.

Tschö, Auge

--

Working now

by Magma, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 14:56 (1867 days ago) @ Auge

Thank you, after making that change on a change the Forum settings seem to be working now. The webpages seem to be loading a lot faster now too :lookaround:

Thanks

Working now

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 15:07 (1867 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Thank you for your reports and collaboration.

Tschö, Auge

--

Working now

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 22:29 (1866 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

I update the software. It seems to work fine!

Thank you.
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Working now - basst ois -

by candleman ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 23:55 (1866 days ago) @ Micha

Hallo,

auch bei mir klappt alles nach dem Update version 2.4.19.1

Gruss und Dank

candleman

Working now

by Auge ⌂, Friday, February 08, 2019, 08:59 (1866 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

I update the software. It seems to work fine!

I updated meanwhile the project and my forum.

Yesterday I stressed mine and the project forum with loading the main pages and the settings pages in four browsers every 20 seconds for more than three hours, to see if I encounter a blank page or a 500. I've seen nothing related but I might have missed occurrences. We will see.

Tschö, Auge

--

Working now although another anomaly

by Magma, Sunday, February 10, 2019, 02:20 (1864 days ago) @ Auge

Since updating the code I have not seen any 500 error page on my own forum or on MLF. I gather I don't need to update to 2.4.19.1 if it is just for the things I updated manually?

Since getting the site working right on 2.4.19 I have noticed maybe 2 or 3 times:

As a guest
opening a full thread
clicking the login link
logging in with credentials
the previous open thread that you were on normally loads again (this is how it should work)

but 2 or 3 times now I notice

As a guest
opening a full thread
clicking the login link
logging in with credentials
a completely random open thread loads (one that I have not even been to in that session)

Like I say it has only happened a few times and I cannot pinpoint a sequence of why. Now that I have reported it maybe you can tell why? I don't know.

Thanks

by Micha ⌂, Sunday, February 10, 2019, 09:23 (1864 days ago) @ Magma

Hello,

a completely random open thread loads (one that I have not even been to in that session)

We store the last visited uri of the forum at the session. If the login is finished, we redirect to the stored uri (taken from the user session). Due to the individual session of the user, I cannot reproduce your behaviour.

/Micha

--

by Magma, Sunday, February 10, 2019, 13:06 (1864 days ago) @ Micha

If it happens again I will make sure to note what I did proceeding it.

RSS Feed of thread