Request : Can "LATEST POSTING" have it's own page (General)

by Fibonacci, Saturday, February 02, 2019, 13:35 (1882 days ago)

is it possible to make "latest postings" have a link or option to be made it's own page.

This way one can choose to have it appear in the menu at the top "Latest" Postings" and users can click on this to see all latest postings.

I think this looks better for user interface than trying to cram it at the bottom of topics or cram to right side menu like the MLF themes 0.1.9.

Thank You in advance

Request : Can "LATEST POSTING" have it's own page

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 12:59 (1881 days ago) @ Fibonacci

Hello

is it possible to make "latest postings" have a link or option to be made it's own page.

This way one can choose to have it appear in the menu at the top "Latest" Postings" and users can click on this to see all latest postings.

I think this looks better for user interface than trying to cram it at the bottom of topics or cram to right side menu like the MLF themes 0.1.9.

This is a nice idea. Alfie, one of our moderators implemented a script for a similar idea for My Little Forum 1.8. He built a new script with the necesarry PHP code, database queries and HTML sources to show the latest X postings in his forum on the front page of his website (it's an own page when seeing it from the view of the forum).

It would be possible to build a similar script for MLF2. On the other hand the sidebar holds additional informations like the tag list (when enabled) and the moderator and administrator functions (visible by only this group of people). We can not disable the sidebar at all so the question is, how big the change of UI would be.

And yes, the sidebar at the bottom of the main view below the tabled list of threads is IMHO useless. If I scroll to this bottombar, I've seen all necessary things until then that I can see also there.

We will see.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Not that difficult

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 14:39 (1881 days ago) @ Fibonacci

Hi 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,…

see the example Auge mentioned in my forum. Click on the link Latest Post in the menu bar.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Not that difficult

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, February 03, 2019, 15:08 (1881 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Alfie

see the example Auge mentioned in my forum. Click on the link Latest Post in the menu bar.

Are you able to provide the source code of your script?

Tschö, Auge

--

Not that difficult

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, February 04, 2019, 08:17 (1880 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge,

Just returned from New Zealand and still suffering from a 12 hours jet lag… I will send it to you by PM.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Not that difficult

by Auge ⌂, Monday, February 04, 2019, 08:41 (1880 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Alfie

Just returned from New Zealand and still suffering from a 12 hours jet lag… I will send it to you by PM.

No reason to hurry up, sleep well. :-)

Tschö, Auge

--

Not that difficult

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 13:14 (1872 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge,

Just sent to you privately.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Not that difficult

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 14:17 (1872 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Alfie,

Just sent to you privately.

Thank you, I've seen the e-mail but haven't read the code until yet. What to do with it when it's adapted to MLF2? You are the author. Want you keep the distribution in your own hand (over your Github-account?)? Should I do it and when yes, under which license?

Tschö, Auge

--

Not that difficult

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 20:14 (1872 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge,

[…] but haven't read the code until yet.

Good for you. I’m a terribly bad PHP-coder.

What to do with it when it's adapted to MLF2? You are the author. Want you keep the distribution in your own hand (over your Github-account?)? Should I do it and when yes, under which license?

Take it easy. I love to share nonsense (all my lectures are licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0 and my R-code under GPL 3.0). If you use part of the code, mention my name somewhere in the source. I guess you will find it sooo awful that you will start more or less from scratch anyhow. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Not that difficult

by Fibonacci, Monday, February 04, 2019, 02:11 (1880 days ago) @ Alfie

Thank You Alfie,

Your "Latest Post" page is perfect.

Would be nice if it can be made wider or carry much more latest posts.

Also i see you have a statistics page which is brilliant.
https://forum.bebac.at/CurrentStats.htm

Is this a feature on current MLF?

I wish to ask if your forum theme freely available for use by others?

Cheers
Fibonacci

Not that difficult

by Fibonacci, Monday, February 04, 2019, 02:45 (1880 days ago) @ Fibonacci

i also saw that the following Theme https://www.projekt-mlf.de/forum/
has the latest posting as a side bar.

preference would be like Alfie's where "latest postings" and "statistics" can be separate pages.

Thank You
Fibo

Not that difficult

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, February 04, 2019, 10:32 (1880 days ago) @ Fibonacci

Hi Fibonacci,

Your "Latest Post" page is perfect.

THX. ;-)

Would be nice if it can be made wider …

Since my forum has a scientific background, rarely – if ever – it is accessed from mobile devices. Hence, I have no responsible design yet and implemented min- and max-width in the CSS to support readability. Very long lines are difficult to follow (and bad typography).

… or carry much more latest posts.

In the database query I used

blahblah LIMIT 0, 20

One option would be to increase the limit or – possibly in a very active forum – limit it to posts of the last 24 hours.
Another hint: In my forum only registered users can post. As usual there are also categories which are either not public (only visible to registered users) or only accessible for mods/admins. Since the link Latest Posts is shown for everybody the script excludes posts in the respective categories. Otherwise, clicking on one of them would lead to the main page – which is confusing.
Furthermore, I suggest search engines not to index this page. In the header I use:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

Also i see you have a statistics page […]
https://forum.bebac.at/CurrentStats.htm

Check out this one which gives the top 15 (instead of 10) results. That’s a test-page which times the queries / section. Forget the countries (obtained by geo­location of the IP; extremely slow and not available in mlf2 anyhow). But also note that my forum has ~19,000 posts from ~1,300 users. In a substantially larger forum the query for the “Top Posters” could get prohibitively slow.

Is this a feature on current MLF?

Nope.

I wish to ask if your forum theme freely available for use by others?

Be aware that I’m running a heavily modified version 1.8 of mlf. No themes there. Therefore, no.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

Not that difficult

by Fibonacci, Monday, February 04, 2019, 11:53 (1880 days ago) @ Alfie

Thank You Alfie for taking the time to write and explain it.

For you with high IQ it may not be difficult. Unfortunately for me (mere mortal) it is somewhat difficult.

I will just be patient and wait for more updates and features.

Again thank you for helping out and i hope you don't mind in future if i ask more questions around modifying simple things.

Cheers
Fibo

First version of the extra page

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 22:35 (1858 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello Alfie

I made an example script for MLF2.4.x from your code and created a repository for it.

Features:

- configuration with local file path to the db_settings.php,
- the URL of the forum,
- some language dependent strings,
- HTML5 templates for the whole page, a single item and a message box for errors and … tada! … a small debug mode,
- in addition the template is generally responsive,
- and – not to forget ;-) – the script has a small debug mode

Known issues:

- the debug mode could be enhanced
- some hardcoded strings in the template(s)
- the links lead hardcoded to the single-posting-view, an option to the threaded view would be desirable
- possibly it would be a good idea accessing the forums settings and the language files instead using extra settings and strings
- ugly background colours because it's all in all in the testing stage

For a first 0.1 release I need your o.k. and a readme file.

Tschö, Auge

--

first prototype of the extra page released as version 0.1

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 14:24 (1851 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello

After a conversation about licence thingy between Alfie and me I selected the GPL3 because you seems to use the licence for software too. The now released version 0.1 is a working prototype. The configuration has to become simpler, the template for output could get siblings for inclusion in existing HTML documents and in connection with this, the CSS should be made unobstrusive to prevent collisions with existing rulesets.

Tschö, Auge

--

Nice!

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Tuesday, March 05, 2019, 17:52 (1851 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge,

was too busy those days to reply to your first post… Nice work!

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread