Request: "Back To Forum Index" also at the bottom of page (General)

by Fibonacci, Monday, February 04, 2019, 02:34 (1880 days ago)

Hello,

Is it possible to include a link at the bottom of page for "Back To Forum Index".

I know it is at the top of post page but if a post is very long and many replies (i.e. many scrolls down)it would be nice if user can click "Back To Forum Index" from the bottom to save having to scroll all the way back up to the top.

I know user can use browser "back" button to go back but would be nice for user friendliness to have "Back To Forum Index" also at the bottom.

Cheers
Fibo

Request: "Back To Forum Index" also at the bottom of page

by Auge ⌂, Monday, February 04, 2019, 08:39 (1879 days ago) @ Fibonacci

Hello

Is it possible to include a link at the bottom of page for "Back To Forum Index".

This is possible and I do it in my theme Responsive1. In the screenshot I covered the rest if the image with a semitransparent layer to highlight the element.

[image]

The item "zum Seitenanfang" means "back to top" but there is no string for it in the language files. So it's hardcoded at the moment.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, February 04, 2019, 09:00 (1879 days ago) @ Fibonacci

Hi Fibonacci,

[image]IMHO, makes sense. Similar to the MLF-AddOns project forum and the semi-transparent arrow in my forum.
I’m so used to it that I always miss it here. ;-)

In my forum posts can get very long as well. Hence, I have another arrow which links to the top of the post (within a thread). Currently only implemented in “Mix view” (which is similar to “Table view” here). Try it e.g., in this thread (scroll down in each post and see what happens).
Unfortunately it is not 100% cross-browser safe but works at least in all I have tested (Windows: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Safari; Android: Chrome, Firefox).

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

by Auge ⌂, Monday, February 04, 2019, 09:22 (1879 days ago) @ Alfie

Hello

Wolltest du nicht ins Bett oder wollte ich dich nur dahin schicken? ;-)

[image]IMHO, makes sense. Similar to the MLF-AddOns project forum and the semi-transparent arrow in my forum.
I’m so used to it that I always miss it here. ;-)

Oh, a fence post or, not so pseudo german, a broad hint. :-)

In my forum posts can get very long as well. Hence, I have another arrow which links to the top of the post (within a thread). Currently only implemented in “Mix view” (which is similar to “Table view” here). Try it e.g., in this thread (scroll down in each post and see what happens).

Nice.

Unfortunately it is not 100% cross-browser safe but works at least in all I have tested (Windows: Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Safari; Android: Chrome, Firefox).

Beside the fact, that it is unsuitable in non graphical browsers or screen readers, it should work. With a few changes in the HTML-structure even better and for everyone.

Hint: The link target could be visible as "permanent link", should be a ID nowadays, and the link in itself should have content (the image with it's alternative text).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Monday, February 04, 2019, 11:00 (1879 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Alfie, Monday, February 04, 2019, 11:13

Hi Auge,

Wolltest du nicht ins Bett oder wollte ich dich nur dahin schicken? ;-)

Letzteres. Döselig, teilweise Fressanfälle um ½4 Uhr morgens.

Oh, a fence post or, not so pseudo german, a broad hint. :-)

:-D

In my forum […] I have another arrow which links to the top of the post …

Nice.

THX.

Beside the fact, that it is unsuitable in non graphical browsers or screen readers, …

Correct.

… it should work. With a few changes in the HTML-structure even better and for everyone.

Hint: The link target could be visible as "permanent link", should be a ID nowadays, and the link in itself should have content (the image with it's alternative text).

Agree. The link within posts is not empty (actually foo?id=XXX#topYYY, where XXX is the tid and YYY the id). I modified the scripts to have an anchor topYYY in each post. The image itself is not given in HTML but defined in CSS:

a.toplink:link {
  background-image:url(https://static.bebac.at/img/toparrow.png);
  text-decoration:none;
  background-color:transparent;
  opacity:.6;
  filter:alpha(opacity=60)
}
a.toplink:hover, a.toplink:active {
  background-image:url(https://static.bebac.at/img/toparrow.png);
  text-decoration:none;
  background-color:transparent;
  opacity:.4;
  filter:alpha(opacity=40)
}

Hence, no alternative text.

I’m aware that having an empty link

<a class="toplink" href="" title="▲ top"> </a>

is clumsy. Since in my forum I have the top-menu fixed I couldn’t figure out how to get it right. :-( An empty link reloads the current page. I know, I know…

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

RSS Feed of thread