Upload document (General)

by Rövarn ⌂, Friday, December 07, 2018, 23:03 (1938 days ago)

I had a modification that allowed users to upload .doc, .exe, .pdf. Can I modify 2.4.15 or ...16 to do the same?

I know I got the code from here, but can not find it?

--
Just for fun...
[image]

Upload document

by Rövarn ⌂, Saturday, January 19, 2019, 19:54 (1895 days ago) @ Rövarn

Please help me! I need the funktion "upload .doc .xls .pdf"

Please!

--
Just for fun...
[image]

Upload document

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, January 20, 2019, 21:26 (1894 days ago) @ Rövarn

Hello

Please help me! I need the funktion "upload .doc .xls .pdf"

I'm sorry but this is IMHO not a good idea. There are a few points to be said against it.

Further additional file types

You want to be able to upload .doc, .xls and .pdf and you are not the first one (see this thread branch with a former discussion (among other issues)). Others want to upload zipped files or audio or video. Even the file type list in the script, you linked to in the opening posting, will not [edit]be[/edit] the end of everyones wish list. Where to draw the line, especially with the next points in mind?

Upload validation

We can't validate wether the type of an upload (with exception of images) nor the upload being free from malware (file types like .doc(x) or .xls(x) are often infected with malware, even .pdf can be infected). That's also a valid diagnosis for Micha's script that wants to add these file types: zip, rar, ace, jar, doc, docx, txt, rtf, pdf, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx). There is only a check for the file ending and nothing more (with exception of the image types). That's IMHO far from being enough.

First point (file type) will lead to the danger of corrupted files and last point (malware) would lead to the danger of the forums being not only sources but centrifuges for spam and malware. This is nothing we can handle or even solve.

Legal issues

There is the danger of copyright violation with every upload (catchword: upload filters). With additional file types we make it IMHO worser than with images only. You as the forum operator can see the images and you are (generally) able to evaluate them. But with text documents and maybe sound or video documents IMHO one as a forum operator can (and IMHO will) lost control.

There are hundreds of cloud and file sharing services. Some of them also check the uploads for malware or for bad contents in near future (at least in the EU with the new copyright regulation (if and when it's done)). At least everyone should be able to set a link to an external download location and everyone, who sets such a link, is responsible for the link first and foremost. (yes, I know, that a forum operator can be made responsible dependent from the jurisdiction)

Additional complexity

With every new functionality we add complexity. IMHO we should concentrate our selfes to functions, that make a better usability for the existing functions and add only new functions, that are really forum-related. Uploading files to the internet is (much more) easy as we ever could implement it with other already existing solutions.

Sorry to say that, but no, I'm not convinced to implement it into the forum software.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Upload document

by Micha ⌂, Monday, January 21, 2019, 12:03 (1893 days ago) @ Auge

Hello,

That's also a valid diagnosis for Micha's script

I got the same opinion and will not re-implement this "feature".

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Upload document

by RaHa, Sunday, January 27, 2019, 09:28 (1888 days ago) @ Micha

All arguments against it are durable in the operation of an open forum. When operating a closed forum (registered users only), it would be desirable to be able to upload the documents that the administrator specifies. It should be left to the forum operator to decide that he will handle security without patronizing him. If I want to transfer other documents, then I already knows what I'm doing.

I had this discussion about 3 years ago with the same arguments. Although I like "my little forum" very well, it's easy to handle and I wanted to use it, but I'm using an overloaded forum, just to be able to upload what I want.

Thanks!

Upload document

by Rövarn ⌂, Thursday, February 07, 2019, 07:27 (1877 days ago) @ RaHa

I agree with RaHa!
I run 12 different forums for a nationwide association that has one forum for each department where the boards share meeting protocols and similar documents with comments in each forum.

MLF was a perfect solution when they were able to share documents and discuss the content of the documents as board members live in different parts of the country, can anyone help me write an (unofficial) modification to upload .docx, .xlsx and .pdf?

Micke

--
Just for fun...
[image]

Upload document

by Jean-Michel2 @, Saturday, March 09, 2019, 14:27 (1846 days ago) @ Rövarn

Agree with you !

I just set up a closed forum, I had just found a workaround to be able to mail all new postings to the few members odf this closed forum, only to realise that one cannot upload word documents, which I greatly need.

How sad.

Upload document

by candleman ⌂, Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 00:52 (1844 days ago) @ Jean-Michel2
edited by candleman, Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 00:57

Ich habe für diese Situation mehrere geschlossene Mailinglisten bei meinem Hoster eingerichtet.
Alle Teilnehmer dieses geschlossenen Kreises sind mit Schreibrecht versehen.
Sie senden diese Dateien einfach aus ihrem Mailprogramm an den Listserver der sie an alle eingetragenen Benutzer verteilt.

Die Prüfung auf Malware oder Viren übernimmt der Hoster automatisch.

Falls Malware/Viren enthalten sind, wird die Sendung wahlweise zurückgeschickt/verworfen/dem Listmanager zur Prüfung weitergeleitet.

Das funktioniert sehr gut und ist sicher.

---
I have set up several closed mailing lists at my host for this situation. 

All participants of this closed circle have write permission. They simply send these files from their mail program to the list server which distributes them to all registered users.

The host automatically checks for malware or viruses. If malware/viruses are contained, the shipment is optionally sent back/ discarded/ forwarded to the list manager for checking.

This works very well and is secure.

Übersetzt mit www.DeepL.com/translator

RSS Feed of thread