Noob friendly? (General)

by Jj, Monday, October 01, 2018, 10:56 (2005 days ago)

Hi.
I've been lurking alot of music forums lately, and absolutely hate the usual board view every forum uses. So I was thinking about the possibilities of myself creating a small forum, hence I googled to find a script for a forum structure I liked. Have to say I didn't find much and became more and more frustrated when only finding crap. UNTIL I found MyLittleForum! This is exactly what I'm looking for, with the tree structure.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer...
So, my question is simply: How much prior knowledge about programming do you need to have for administrating and creating a MLF site?
I have made some simple websites and blogs in the past, using Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Blogspot, and the likes. Know next to nothing about PHP and whathaveyou.
And I also feel very insecure when it comes to webhosting services. I remember I used this www.one.com sometime... is that a possible host for MLF or does it make any difference in what you use?

Thanks for making this! Feeling inspired!
Jj

Noob friendly?

by Auge ⌂, Monday, October 01, 2018, 12:03 (2005 days ago) @ Jj

Hello

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer...
So, my question is simply: How much prior knowledge about programming do you need to have for administrating and creating a MLF site?

None, if you don't want to change the theme more than here and there or want to add further pages via the forums pages function. In both cases, theme changes and pages, you'll need skills in HTML, CSS and perhaps in JavaScript.

I have made some simple websites and blogs in the past, using Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Blogspot, and the likes. Know next to nothing about PHP and whathaveyou.
And I also feel very insecure when it comes to webhosting services. I remember I used this www.one.com sometime... is that a possible host for MLF or does it make any difference in what you use?

The host has to support PHP and MySQL and, for sending e-mails, the PHP-function mail (not every hoster supports the function).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Noob friendly?

by Jj, Wednesday, October 03, 2018, 18:11 (2003 days ago) @ Auge

None, if you don't want to change the theme more than here and there or want to add further pages via the forums pages function. In both cases, theme changes and pages, you'll need skills in HTML, CSS and perhaps in JavaScript.

Sounds good. I'll probably just want to change maybe some colors, fonts, and maybe add a banner, etc. I have messed around with a tiny bit of CSS and HTML in the past, so maybe I can figure stuff out...

The host has to support PHP and MySQL and, for sending e-mails, the PHP-function mail (not every hoster supports the function).

Okey, thanks for your answers!
Say, is it possibly somehow to try the script out without a web host? Just to see if I manage. And, if so, can I transfer everything to a host afterwards, without starting from scratch?
Thanks again!

RSS Feed of thread