Administration of uploaded images (imported) (Features)

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 15:27 (2264 days ago)

This is an entry, that was imported from projekt-mlf.de.

Hello

While I'm working on my theme I looked into the list of uploaded images. Here, in this installation, I am the only one, who used this function until now.

I poked around and can state the following.

- The admin can decide to forbid image uploads or allow it for admins and mods or registered users or for the complete audience.
- There's no documentation about the uploader.
- So every image is accessible for every visitor or user who is authorised to upload images her or himself.
- To check the upload directory an admin can use a FTP-client or the browse-uploads-view in the upload popup (uncomfortable at all).

I'm not sure if logging of the uploader and the ability to restrict the access to the images (other board and forum scripts restrict the use of the images to the uploader) is desirable. But at least the browsing of existing image uploads IMHO should be more convenient for allowed users to select an image for use and also for admins for administration of images.

Tschö, Auge

Administration of uploaded images (imported)

by Magma, Sunday, January 28, 2018, 12:34 (2252 days ago) @ Auge

Regarding admin of uploaded pics, what would be a time saver and super convenient is if when admin deletes a post with Images in it that those Images get deleted from the server automatically, if you delete a whole thread all Images in that thread get deleted automatically.

I say that because I have a few threads with close to hundred pictures in and if I get a takedown notice it's going to be a real pain to delete them all one by one.

Also multi-Image upload for version 2.5 would be a godsend :-D

by Auge ⌂, Monday, January 29, 2018, 07:49 (2251 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Regarding admin of uploaded pics, what would be a time saver and super convenient is if when admin deletes a post with Images in it that those Images get deleted from the server automatically, if you delete a whole thread all Images in that thread get deleted automatically.

Therefore you have to know, where a image is used. You can insert an uploaded image in several entries, not only into the one, from where you uploaded the image. For that purpose the deletion routine must search all entries for the path to the namely images or the use of an image has to be protocolled every time it gets included into an entry.

I say that because I have a few threads with close to hundred pictures in and if I get a takedown notice it's going to be a real pain to delete them all one by one.

What are you doing/providing to get takedown notices?

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Magma, Friday, February 02, 2018, 12:34 (2247 days ago) @ Auge

If people upload celebrity pics.

It's really become a nightmare Is there any easier way to delete Images from the server? I try through cpanel in a browser but it's so laggy and locks up that it takes forever to delete one Image. From what I can see you need to open the uploaded folder in cpanel to delete a file, you cannot just do a search and delete it from the search result box?

I tried Cyberduck but for some reason that does not list all the image files only a certain number of image files. I don't know why.

by Auge ⌂, Friday, February 02, 2018, 13:34 (2247 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

If people upload celebrity pics.

Aha.

It's really become a nightmare Is there any easier way to delete Images from the server? I try through cpanel in a browser ... I tried Cyberduck

I don't know any of these programs.

From what I can see you need to open the uploaded folder in cpanel to delete a file, you cannot just do a search and delete it from the search result box?

As said before, I don't know. But even with the way to delete it by selecting it in a search result box, the directory must be opened in the background to delete the file. That will eat time in any case. If it is an issue with the user interface I can't say anything about it.

Tschö, Auge

--

Multi-file-upload for images

by Auge ⌂, Monday, March 26, 2018, 11:38 (2195 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Also multi-Image upload for version 2.5 would be a godsend :-D

I informed myself about the topic multi-file-upload. IMO the browser support is sufficient. The desktop browsers supports the feature. Safari for iOS supports the feature. Some Android-browsers seem to support it but supporting it not, if they are running on Android lower than version 5 (footnote "1" on several entries in the screenshot). Others, like Firefox for Android, does not support it at all (tested: Firefox for Android 59 on Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2)). Users with browsers, not supporting the feature, get a single-file-upoad-input as before. No change for these users.

[image]

My browsers (Firefox on Windows 10 and on Ubuntu 16.04, Vivaldi 1.14 (Chromium based)) tells me right of the "Durchsuchen..."- button that I've selected two files.

[image]

I'll have to test the behaviour of a browser with only single-upload-capabilities in combination with the altered PHP-code to receive an array of uploads.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Magma, Monday, March 26, 2018, 13:04 (2195 days ago) @ Auge

Sounds excellent. This would be a much appreciated addition and time saver :clap:

by Magma, Monday, April 02, 2018, 19:18 (2188 days ago) @ Auge

Would it possible to put a tick box or something to automatically thumbnail (adding the =thumbnail part in the image url) the multiple uploaded Images.

by Magma, Wednesday, May 16, 2018, 19:12 (2144 days ago) @ Auge

Is testing going good for this? :lookaround:

by Auge ⌂, Friday, May 18, 2018, 09:48 (2142 days ago) @ Magma

Hello

Is testing going good for this? :lookaround:

I'm sorry to say, that I did not work further on this feature until now. I'm stucked to the questions relating to the EU GDPR and my real life. Please stay patient, thank you.

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread