Reddit like categories? (General)

by Kepha, Wednesday, September 06, 2017, 15:29 (2396 days ago)
edited by Auge, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 23:24

Hi Auge,

You still supporting this software yes? :)

Would it be a complicated code to make MLF able to allow its users to create categories, like in Reddit? (e.g. mylittleforum.net/c/'category_name'/)

Kep

Reddit like categories?

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, September 14, 2017, 23:20 (2387 days ago) @ Kepha

Hello

Hi Auge,

You still supporting this software yes? :)

Yes, we do.

I will now speaking for myself. The following is not the opinion of the team, it's only my opinion.

Would it be a complicated code to make MLF able to allow its users to create categories, like in Reddit? (e.g. mylittleforum.net/c/'category_name'/)

Yes it would be complicated in the meaning of coding and of the general change in functionality that this would require.

Why should one be able to create own categories beside the categories that was defined by the operator of a forum? And what influence on what should such a category have? Should different users see different threads or different order of the same threads independent from the actually order functions (last thread vs. last answer) and independent from the general settings from the operator?

Reddit and a thread based forum works in completely different ways. So I don't see a usecase in the context of a forum software like MLF.

What might be considerable instead is to open the tagging function to the users (maybe only to registered users, but that's another discussion). But that would only be relevant for the search function but not for the sorting of threads.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Reddit like categories?

by Kepha, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 16:00 (2385 days ago) @ Auge

I understand your point Auge and you definitely know more than me in this matter :-)

The idea of a thread based forum (MLF) combined with the ability for registered users to create Categories (like in Reddit) would suit my objective of creating a small Gaming Community, more Country/Language focused, without the need for Administrators come and create a new zone.

Lets say that the Gaming Community goes after 'MMO FPS/RTS/RPG', which in general have plenty of topics inside, this would allow registered users to open new/unexistent Game areas, like it happens in Reddit.
With this,

Instead of - http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=index&category=1
we would have - mylittleforum.net/forum/General/

An option that I would imagine is when clicking "New Topic", the Category pulldown menu, beside the current categories, would have an option to "Create New".

But like you said, would probably need a big change to the code and for own safety purposes I guess a minor security would have to be added so users wouldn't just add Categories without control.

--

Maybe an alternative would be to add Custom Permalinks?

RSS Feed of thread