Serious bug in Chrome for Android (General)

by danielb987, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 12:29 (2530 days ago)

Hello,

I have got reports that my forum stops working sometimes on Android. It seems to have started a couple of weeks ago. Now the error has shown again so I have had the opportunity to look into it and it is most certain a bug in Chrome for Android.

Compare these two pages:
http://mjtrafik.se/test_jvmv_a.html
http://mjtrafik.se/test_jvmv_b.html

The first page has the error on my Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone, but the second page has not. The difference between these two pages is ONE ascii character on line 112 in the HTML source code.

On the end of line 112 in the first page is the text "Anslagsla, resor mm".
On the end of line 112 in the second page is the text "Anslagsa, resor mm".

I have tested a couple of alternatives and it has nothing to do with the HTML or the CSS.

Due to the nature of this bug, maybe you will not see it. But this image shows how it looks.

I don't think we can do anything about it. Except maybe report the bug to Chrome, but I don't know how to report bugs so I haven't done that.

Best regards,
Daniel

[image]

Serious bug in Chrome for Android

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 13:16 (2530 days ago) @ danielb987

Hello

I have got reports that my forum stops working sometimes on Android. It seems to have started a couple of weeks ago. Now the error has shown again so I have had the opportunity to look into it and it is most certain a bug in Chrome for Android.

The first page has the error on my Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone, but the second page has not. The difference between these two pages is ONE ascii character on line 112 in the HTML source code.

On the end of line 112 in the first page is the text "Anslagsla, resor mm".
On the end of line 112 in the second page is the text "Anslagsa, resor mm".

Inspecting the HTML source code I read the name of the category as "Anslagstavla, resor mm" which is different from both "Anslagsla, resor mm" and "Anslagsa, resor mm". Is that of any meaning?

My own tests with your testing pages: In Firefox for Android both pages works. In the Chromium based Stock Browser of Android 6 both pages are broken.

I have tested a couple of alternatives and it has nothing to do with the HTML or the CSS.

Beside the broken rendering I want to ask if it has anything to say, that the name of the category is correct written in the category select and in the title of the category link behind the posters name but not in the link text itself?

// from the title of the category link in one of your testing pages
Anslagstavla, resor mm
// URL-encoded
%41%6E%73%6C%61%67%73%74%61%76%6C%61%2C%20%72%65%73%6F%72%20%6D%6D

// wrote the same text in Notepad++ with german keyboard
Anslagstavla, resor mm
// URL-encoded
%41%6E%73%6C%61%67%73%74%61%76%6C%61%2C%20%72%65%73%6F%72%20%6D%6D

There's absolutely no difference, no language-dependent char, no nothing. :-(

I will at least inspect the code of the section, where the thread lists are generated.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Serious bug in Chrome for Android

by danielb987, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 13:45 (2530 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

When I was a child, my dad told me to work very systematic when trying to find bugs. And that is a lesson that has been very useful over the years.

Therefore I started by saving the forum page as a HTML page and then edited the HTML code in order to find the point there the bug kicks in. At first, I expected some error in the HTML code and I tried to find the bug by removing some HTML tags. But in that process I found that it didn't matter WHAT I removed, as long as I removed SOMETHING. So I took it to the point there I had two almost identical web pages, which differs by only one single ascii character.

Yes, the category name is wrong. But that is due to my efforts to try to find the bug. This page is a static HTML page, not a page generated from the forum. (It was generated by MyLittleForum in the first place, but I have edited the source since then).

Yes, I'm not surprised that both pages are broken for you. I don't know why the bug happens, but since I get the bug if I add one character and removes the bug if I removes a character, it looks like some buffer overflow, out of memory or something like that. And my phone maybe has more free memory or more free resources than your phone?

The two pages differs in:
"Anslagsla, resor mm" - error
"Anslagsa, resor mm" - works for me.

So the difference is the letter "L". Add that letter and I get the error. Remove that letter and I don't get the error. It probably doesn't matter which letter I add. If I add a letter X I would probably get the error, but I haven't tried that.

The error may depend on the phone model, the number of programs active in the phone, the number of installed apps in the phone, and so on...

Best regards,
Daniel

Serious bug in Chrome for Android, weird

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 14:23 (2530 days ago) @ danielb987

Hello

Loaded the page http://mjtrafik.se/test_jvmv_a.html again with my phone and the stock browser. Now the bug is gone and the rest of the threads follows the sidebar box. Can you confirm my observation?

[image]

The small font size of the sidebar is caused by the ancient HTML doctype that is used by the default template. The big font size is an automatism of the mobile browsers to ensure the readability of the main content of a page. There is no solution to that with the default theme at the moment.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Serious bug in Chrome for Android, weird

by danielb987, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 14:50 (2530 days ago) @ Auge

Sorry, the diskussion on my forum have now found the "error". If the window is too narrow, the threads will be below the box at the right. So the user has to scroll down to see the threads. So it is not a bug.

It is possible to see the problem in Internet Explorer or Firefox if you let the width of the window be very small.

It is not a big deal now when we know why it happens.

Kind regards,
Daniel

RSS Feed of thread