marking entries as "is read" (Technics)

by Auge ⌂, Monday, April 24, 2017, 12:06 (2530 days ago)
edited by Auge, Monday, April 24, 2017, 12:29

Hello

In the version 2.4 a new behaviour of the read status for the entries was introduced. Instead storing the info about an entry is read by a specific user in a field the info got it's own table.

The info about read entries is stored until a limit is reached (standard behaviour) or for a specific time (default [edit]<del>180</del><ins>150</ins>[/edit] days). The use of this project forums shows me, that the default value of stored infos about 200 entries is IMHO much to low. The page one of the main view shows in the thread view (at the moment) 243 entries. That's more than the limit and leads (together with this bug) to the scary situation, that the reading of a until now unread thread can make read entries unread again.

That this occurs here, only a few weeks after the update of the project forum and with it the introduction of the new behaviour, shows me, that the limit is to low.

Any thoughts?

Tschö, Auge

PS: Edited the count of days the read status of an entry is stored by default.

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

marking entries as "is read"

by Micha ⌂, Monday, April 24, 2017, 12:28 (2530 days ago) @ Auge

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Remember my suggestions...

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Monday, April 24, 2017, 13:00 (2530 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

Any thoughts?

Remember my suggestions...

Your suggestion not to store the users own entries would only shift the problem into the future, when the limit will be reached with read entries of different users. And then?

Additionally, the not-considering of the users own entries is only relevant for (very) active users. For a lurking user, who writes only every when and then an entry, the few not stored own entries do not carry weight. She/he will fill his store whith entries of other users. When she/he reads often, the store will –in the worst case– also filled within a few weeks.

It's still my opinion, not to distinguish between the users own and different users entries (for this (IMHO great) feature).

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Monday, April 24, 2017, 13:08 (2530 days ago) @ Auge
edited by Auge, Monday, April 24, 2017, 14:25

Hi,

of course, it doesn't solve the problem but it saves storage, the benefit for active users is large the on the other hand, the implementation is negligible.

However, I don't like to discuss it again.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Monday, April 24, 2017, 14:30 (2530 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

However, I don't like to discuss it again.

Err, I read the discussion on the issue page again and even if I think my arguments leads into the right direction, I was more than only a bit harsh. I'm sorry, I didn't wanted to harass you.

Tschö, Auge

--

marking entries as "is read", a proposal

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, May 02, 2017, 21:18 (2522 days ago) @ Micha

Hello Milo

After some time I want to come up with some thoughts. There are four ways of handling the amount of stored read entries.

1. Limit the number of entries.
2. Limit the age of entries.
3. Remove entries when they going to be locked.
4. The info about who reads which entries will be stored permanently.

For the ways one to three we have implemented settings. The settings for the first and third way existed before our implementation. The setting for the second way came up with version 2.4. All this ways are able to interfere one with each other. A busy forum member will probably hit the number limit, a "lazy" forum user, who reads every when and then in only a few threads, will with a higher chance run into the age limit, if both ways are activated in the settings.

This is IMHO an inconsistent behaviour. Additionally there is no clear way to decide between the ways of read-state-handling.

I propose the (more or less complete) unification of the settings. First I propose a switch between the four possible ways (read_state_expiration_method, values 0 to 3 (methods: off, number, date, locking)). The settings max_read_items and read_state_expiration_date can be shrinked to read_state_expiration_value. Only the fourth method (remove read state when locking) would need a combination of the native setting for auto locking (days until locking) and independent from that the setting to remove the read state (or not or handle it in another way).

The settings should be neighbours in the settings form. You can inspect a draft for the handling of the several settings in my repo, branch readstateswitch, functions.inc.php lines 92 ff., 105 ff. and 218 f..

What's your opinion?

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 10:24 (2520 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

What's your opinion?

removing this "feature" ;-)

/Micha

--

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 12:57 (2520 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

What's your opinion?

removing this "feature" ;-)

In face of the smiley, serious? Is it because of our dispute about the handling of the users own entries? :-(

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 15:32 (2520 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

In face of the smiley, serious?

Yes, in some respects. It is a feature that cannot be solved linear, cf. your suggestions. The question is: how important is this feature w.r.t. the benefit.

Is it because of our dispute about the handling of the users own entries? :-(

No!!1111elf

If you prefer one of your solutions, please change the code. Currently, I cannot favour one of same, sorry.

regards
Micha

--

by Auge ⌂, Friday, May 05, 2017, 08:02 (2519 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

cf.

Oha, learned something new again.

The question is: how important is this feature w.r.t. the benefit.

Not that it is a killer feature but it is IMHO very helpful when you visit a forum with different devices and/or browsers.

Ich würde nicht darauf verzichten wollen.

If you prefer one of your solutions, please change the code. Currently, I cannot favour one of same, sorry.

Ok.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Friday, May 05, 2017, 09:06 (2519 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

Not that it is a killer feature but it is IMHO very helpful when you visit a forum with different devices and/or browsers.

I'm not sure, how many different devices and/or browsers the normal users are using to visit the forum but I believe it is (in most cases) only one. Thus, I believe, this feature is more important for moderators or admins, which check e.g. new entries (SPAM), unlock new users etc., than for normal users.

Well, if I search with e.g. google and visit a page, this page is marked as visited. If I repeat this search on another device, this page is - of course - not marked as visited. Thats a normal behaviour...

/Micha

--

by Auge ⌂, Friday, May 05, 2017, 09:25 (2519 days ago) @ Micha

Hello Milo

I'm not sure, how many different devices and/or browsers the normal users are using to visit the forum but I believe it is (in most cases) only one.

Let's have a look at my situation. PC at work, PC at home, notebook, smart phone and every when and then the tablet. That are regulary four and with the seldom used tablet five devices. I would expect a "normal user" to use two or three devices.

Well, if I search with e.g. google and visit a page, this page is marked as visited. If I repeat this search on another device, this page is - of course - not marked as visited. Thats a normal behaviour...

Yes it is the normal behaviour. If the function works correct (until now it doesn't), it is the better behaviour. Especially for those users, who visit a forum with more than one device/browser. All other users (those with only one browser on one device) are not bothered at all.

Tschö, Auge

--

marking entries as "is read", a pull request

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, May 21, 2017, 18:17 (2503 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

According my proposal I made a pull request for the new settings, the corresponding form elements, their strings in the language files and the statements for the real handling of the read status entries. Additionally I set the default value for the methods 1 and 2 (removal dependent of the amount of status entries for the user (datasets) or of the time of the last access to the entry (posting)) to 500.

Who's not afraid of code reading, may do this and comment it if necessary on Github or here. I requested a review from Milo anyway but further opinions are welcome.

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread