Thanks, but that’s no solution … (General)

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, July 10, 2011, 15:30 (4693 days ago) @ gmw

Hello

That RSS ist no usable solution, because it is … let’s say »passive« while an e-mail is »active«:

Yes, and in my humble opinion it is the better solution. The user pulls the information if he is interested in. He can pull it a single time a day or every n minutes.

My e-mail client checks new mail periodically, so I got informed about your posting! :)

If you have an (hyper)active forum with many users the script has to send many emails. With the solution wich was described in the named thread every user gets an email for every single posting, if wanted or not. As an example: 200 users gets every day 20 emails about new postings. That's all about 4000 emails a day. Your hoster is probably not amused about spamming messages. He may be greylisted or completely blocked for a while.

A solution –beside RSS feed– would be to be able to subscribe a thread. Then I (as a subscriber) gets an email for every posting in the subscribed, but not every thread.

This need some more changes in code of the script than the old solution from the other thread because the script must check thread subscriptions against subscriptions for answers to postings of mine (I don't want to have it twice).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread