Update 1.6x > 1.7x > 2.2x (Technics)

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, December 07, 2010, 20:38 (4860 days ago) @ wo2010

Hello

... And there is a README file too (without extension) talking about version 1.7.3 ...

Normal behaviour for Unix-like-packaging-systems. There are files like README, INSTALL, COPY or LICENSE and some more.

Right. To be honest, mlf 2.x is not 'little' any more, IMHO.

I did not find a comparison between 1.7 and 2.x. Which feature(s) or behavior of 2.x do you dislike?

mlf2 has a newer code base with external classes i.e. stringparser_bbcode for bb-code-parsing, geshi for code-example-output, smarty as template system, akismet, bad-behavior and captcha for spam prevention and some Ajax features. That makes it more featurish and also flexible but also bigger (!= little). It uses UTF-8 instead regional code pages, which is better for internationalization. You can use tags wich is an alternative way for posting search.

mlf1 lacks most of these features. Only captcha is included since 1.7 (in another way (if I'm right)). There is a fork of mlf1 that has (or should have in the future) some of the features like UTF-8 (done), stringparser_bbcode for bb-code-parsing and tags (both not done) and some code cleaning (in comparision with original mlf1). It has some other features you'll lack with mlf2 (current or ever).

If you like the new* features of mlf2 you better use mlf2. Most of them will not (not to say "never") be implemented in the mlf1-fork. If you only need UTF-8 (as a new feature) and don't want to make experiments with non stable scripts use mlf2 because the fork of mlf1 isn't done (but should have a stable behaviour in most cases).

* "New" means included here but not there. mlf2 itself is not new (first posting in this forum: April 2006).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread