Installation problem with older mysql version (General)

by Auge, Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 21:35 (5518 days ago) @ ptholt

Hello

i need a nice, easy little forum and this seemed ideal :)
However y cmurrent host is running mysql 4.0.17 and php 4.4.9 (Hosting company called netearth one) and they say that this is the most up to date versions available to my hosting, so upgrading this appears to not be an option.

Upgrading is not an option? PHP 4.4.9 is the last release of PHP 4 and [link=http://]the support for PHP 4 ended 2007-12-31[/link]. Maybe it is, not only for security reasons, a better option to change the hoster and not the PHP version.

I uploaded the folder extracted from the download zip, I have created the database, changed chmod on the files recommended on the readme, then ran the script, i then get a big list of errors as the install script attempts to run -

# SQL error (MySQL: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'COLLATE=utf8_general_ci' at line 1)
# SQL error (MySQL: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, last_reply timestamp NOT NULL default '0000-)
# SQL error (MySQL: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, ip varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', logins )

Obviously this all points to a deficiency in the version of mysql on the server, but could some kind soul point me in the direction as to how i resolve the above, as google has returned very little and i have only found 2 posts with the same (initial) error message.

Maybe it is a solution to create all the tables (the error messages occures during the creation of the database tables in the installation process) one by one in phpMyAdmin or some similar script. As a blueprint use the file install.sql in the directory install. But if your database version don't know about collation of tables and fields you may fail, simply because the script expects the data to be saved in and loaded from the database in charset UTF-8.

Maybe it is a solution to change the hoster as I said.

Tschö, Auge

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread