Ignore Feature (Features)

by Per Bylund ⌂ @, Friday, December 14, 2007, 18:40 (5972 days ago)

I have now used the my little forum software in different versions for a few years. I absolutely love it, and the updates have targeted the major problems I have had. However, there are a couple of things I would like to address that might help you guys a bit for the next version.

The first is an ignore feature, which is something a lot of people in my forum have asked for. The reason for this is that most forums attract some weirdos. I am personally hesitant to block these people, since I believe in keeping the forum open and un-moderated. But these "trolls" tend to flood some threads or parts of the forum with their posts - and most people don't care at all about what they write.

So a number of people using my forum have requested an ignore feature. As I understand it, they would like to be able to register what users (and perhaps categories) they would like to not see when logged in and taking part in the discussions. I guess you could also call it a "hide" feature. But the important thing is to be able to say "I really don't want to read anything posted by this/these user(s)." To me, this sounds like a pretty good feature.

The other problem I have been having is when people use quotation marks within parentheses. Double quotation mark immediately followed by a right parenthesis is interpreted by the system as a smiley (!). The effect in some of the threads is pretty strange - when someone is saying something very serious and adding quotes or something like that in parenthesis, a smiley really makes things strange.

Anyway, these are the only two "problems" I have encountered with the version I'm using (which is, I believe, 1.6).

Thanks!

Per Bylund

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread