About opening of links in new tabs or browser windows (Features)

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, October 21, 2020, 20:12 (1245 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

I don't understand your intention because I don't understand these two cases.

It was you who reminded me to respect the decision of users to open links in the same or in other windows. So this should be a user setting. On the other hand a forum operator/admin should be able to i.e. break out of a frameset. So there would be a need for a forum setting.

A forum operator should be able to provide a dedicated name of a frame but he shouldn't be able to dictate the users of his/her forum to open links in new windows/tabs, what would end in forbidding the value _blank. The user, who wants to open links in new windows/tabs, wants nothing else. So the user should be able to use another value. Additionally IMHO most of the users will not be able to set a proper name, they want to activate or disable the function. This would be best done with a boolean setting.

So I end with two settings in mind. The one for the forum and the other one for the users own settings.

Create a variable target_frame. … There is no need to exclude values nor to define a second variable - please, keep it simple!

I would, if I could. IMHO your proposal breaks your own rule to let the user decide how to handle the problem. If your proposed setting is a forum setting, you take the decision away from the user. If this is a user setting, the proper naming would IMHO overburden many interested users. This is against my intention. Because of that I let my idea die.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread