Error in the backup-restore-function (Features)

by Auge ⌂, Friday, September 04, 2020, 15:43 (1301 days ago) @ shian

Hello

One of the best admin features of my little forum is the 'Backup'. I would love to use it instead of using the cpanel of the server. Yet, every time that I've tried to 'Restore' a database it failed with the message (or something similar):

Error!

MySQL error: Incorrect datetime value: '' for column `rapideup_mylittleforum-2.4.21`.`mlf2_temp_infos`.`time` at row 1

Did you encounter further errors?

If the 'Backup' feature is not reliable, then it shouldn't be there, yet I guess that a lot of users would love to use this great feature. We all know that Backup is critical and we all need it. I would love to see it works, really.

With version 2.5 the backup function will get removed. It's because we get error reports every when and then – often months after the introduction of new datafields or tables – for this function like the one above. Not every admin run backups. Not every admin who run backups reimports the data. Because of that we have a fair chance to forget something in the backup function without taking notice of it (we as developers and forum operators) for a long time.

We came to the conclusion that it's much better to remove this function and to point the audience to tools like phpMyAdmin, the MySQL-Workbench or equivalents.

To be fair, it's necessary to remove known errors as long as we maintain the 2.4-branch. So, if you found and find further error messages like the one above, please tell us about it.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread