3 proposal (Technics)

by Solis ⌂, Urumqi, Xinjiang, China 中国新疆乌鲁木齐, Saturday, February 25, 2017, 11:44 (2611 days ago)

Thanks for so good PHP forum! Welcome to Urumqi(乌鲁木齐), the capital of region Xinjiang, China! If you take a trip to Xinjiang, please come in the summer, which is the best season.

I suggest you on the forum. Because my english is very poor, so I hope you can understand me (I speak only Chinese and Esperanto):

1. change the file config/VERSION to config/version.
some FTP software change automatically the capital letter to to small letter, so the system will remind the missing of the config/VERSION, although there are config/version in the folder.

2. if a post is very long, after I have read the post, when I want to come back to the forum index, I must go back to top of the page for click on the "Back to the forum index". So I suggest, you can add a button "Back to the forum index" next to the "Post reply", like this:
[image]

3. In one page of your website, list the the websites, who use the program My Little Forum, like this:
[image]

--
I speak Chinese & Esperanto.
我说汉语和世界语。
Mi parolas ĉine kaj Esperante.
-----------------------------
https://reto.cn
my forum using MLF
https://reto.cn/forum

3 proposal

by Auge ⌂, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 12:15 (2609 days ago) @ Solis

Hello

1. change the file config/VERSION to config/version.
some FTP software change automatically the capital letter to to small letter, so the system will remind the missing of the config/VERSION, although there are config/version in the folder.

I understand the problem but I'm not very encouraged to follow your wish.

We can change the files name but on the other hand you (generally a forum operator) also can change the settings of his/her FTP client. I fear to end in endless exception handling for every single case of a misconfigured program on forum operators side. I.e. we altered our script nearly a year ago to avoid to trigger a bug in firefox. Should we do such things again and again, even it's not "our" bug?

2. if a post is very long, after I have read the post, when I want to come back to the forum index, I must go back to top of the page for click on the "Back to the forum index". So I suggest, you can add a button "Back to the forum index" next to the "Post reply", like this:
[image]

This seems to be much more reasonable. It might be subject of discussion, especially where/in wich cases the link should be displayed. All in all it's worth a thought.

3. In one page of your website, list the the websites, who use the program My Little Forum, like this:
[image]

Who should collect the necessary informations? Who should administrate the list? Sorry but no, it's not worth the effort.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

3 proposal

by Alfie ⌂, Vienna, Austria, Sunday, February 26, 2017, 17:49 (2609 days ago) @ Auge

Hi Auge & all,

This seems to be much more reasonable. It might be subject of discussion, especially where/in wich cases the link should be displayed. All in all it's worth a thought.

In my forum I added a semitransparent PNG which is fixed at the lower right hand corner. Very convenient – actually I got so addicted to it that I’m always irritated when I navigate around here. :-D
Since in my forum posts can get long as well I have another one to jump directly to the top of the post. It seems that there is no solution which is cross-browser save. My implementation at least works on most modern ones.

--
Cheers,
Alfie (Helmut Schütz)
BEBA-Forum (v1.8β)

The one proposal, that remains

by Auge ⌂, Friday, April 21, 2017, 17:47 (2555 days ago) @ Alfie
edited by Auge, Friday, April 21, 2017, 18:19

Hello

I like the idea to have a page-coupled-menu i.e. with links to the main page and to the top of the current page. At the moment I see at least one problem. In which section of the pages to include and how to design it?

This menu would be –with only a few exceptions– part of every single page that can be generated (main view, single posting view, thread and linear view, admin area, user list and pages and so on).

IMHO the menu should be unobstrusive and should not cover parts of the pages content and elements of the user interface. It should be accessible on every point of the page, as described by you. I would recommend to place it in a corner of the browser viewport (default: lower right corner). We can place it in the main.tpl and fix it in the corner with position: fixed; bottom: 0; right: 0; z-index: 2; in the default template for desktop browsers.

But –and here I think about my mobile aware theme– how to handle it for browsers on mobile devices? With JS I could react on touch events (wiping) but the menu should also be accessible without JS without taking to much place in the viewport.

We have to think about a solid concept.

Tschö, Auge

--

The one proposal, that remains

by Auge ⌂, Friday, April 21, 2017, 19:09 (2555 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

We have to think about a solid concept.

[image]

A first prototype of the menu in my theme. It's positioned and fixed in the bottom right corner of the page. At the moment it works with hardcoded link texts. If we consider the menu as useful, the texts would be internationalised.

Any thoughts?

Tschö, Auge

--

RSS Feed of thread