Some problem with user registration... (Bugs)

by glorifyday, Friday, December 09, 2016, 23:11 (2666 days ago)

A user was registered, it was added to DB, but not shown. Notificatiom e-mail was not sent to the admins. I have manually removed the lock by editing its record in the DB - no change. Then I found out that the user had some string in the activate_code field. I have nulled the field and only after that the user was listed by the forum.

User registration is set to:
- self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator

What might go wrong?

Some problem with user registration...

by Micha ⌂, Friday, December 09, 2016, 23:32 (2666 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hi,

- self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator
What might go wrong?

Hopefully nothing. The user must confirm the registration by clicking the link and the admin must unlock the user.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by glorifyday, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 00:51 (2666 days ago) @ Micha

Hopefully nothing. The user must confirm the registration by clicking the link and the admin must unlock the user.

How does the user get the link to click? Via an e-mail?

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 08:28 (2666 days ago) @ glorifyday
edited by Micha, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12:21

Hi,

How does the user get the link to click? Via an e-mail?

I think so, yes. If not, you are right and it is a bug.

A registration must be activate by the user within e.g. 24h. If a user didn't activate the account, the software assumes that the registration was a fake one and delete the account. This is a security behaviour.

This also happens, if the admin activate the account before the user clicked to the link. This behaviour is unexpected and, thus, I changed the sql.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 10:27 (2666 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

This also happens, if the admin activate the account before the user clicked to the link. This behaviour is unexpected and, thus, I changed the sql.

Beside the wrong SQL-query the behaviour, described in this and that entry, seems to be the registration-bug, you solved for the v2.4 in the meantime. I hope, we addressed all aspects of the problem meanwhile. If not, there is room for a version number 2.4.1. ;-)

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 10:41 (2666 days ago) @ Auge

Hey Auge,

there is room for a version number 2.4.1. ;-)

You are right. I'm looking forward to our cooperation. ;-)

/Micha

--

Is 2.4 already available?

by glorifyday, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12:11 (2666 days ago) @ Auge

- No text -

by Micha ⌂, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12:23 (2666 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hi,

you can download the current developer snap-shot at github. Just clone the master.

/Micha

--

by Auge ⌂, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 16:27 (2666 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

you can download the current developer snap-shot at github. Just clone the master.

Cloning requires to work with Git. For an admin, who wants to start a fresh installation or update, it's much simpler to download the ZIP, that is offered on the linked page via the same green button "Clone or download".

By the way: I can confirm the ability to update from 2.3.7 (tested) and to make a fresh installation. Both ways are working with the current development code.

Attention: The update requires to store a new file on the server (config/VERSION) before one starts the update process!

The current available development version is the 2.3.99.1.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

If the activation link is sent via e-mail

by glorifyday, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 12:10 (2666 days ago) @ Micha

then this was not a problem with the forum. Something was wrong with e-mail server on the system and outgoing e-mails were stopped.

by RaHa, Saturday, December 10, 2016, 09:03 (2666 days ago) @ glorifyday

Look the logfile of your mail server. There you can see if the email was send or there was errors.

RSS Feed of thread