User registration - questions (General)

by glorifyday, Thursday, October 27, 2016, 13:27 (2710 days ago)

User registration:
self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator

I switched this option on and asked someone to create a test user, say Test_User.

The user got such an e-mail

Forum registration
Hi Test_User,
welcome to the forum!

To activate your account please follow this link:
...link...

On the other hand, I didn't get any e-mail. When I logged in as an admin, I didn't have any easily visible notification of the fact, either, Only when I got into "Users", I found out that one of them is locked.

Then I unlocked the test user and he did not receive any e-mail notification about it.

Should the process really look this way?

User registration - questions

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, October 27, 2016, 14:18 (2710 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hello

User registration:
self but new accounts have to be unlocked by an admin or a moderator

I switched this option on and asked someone to create a test user, say Test_User.

The user got such an e-mail

Forum registration
Hi Test_User,
welcome to the forum!

To activate your account please follow this link:
...link...

Ok, that's new. The user shouldn't get an email with an activation link. At least an activation should not be successful this way.

On the other hand, I didn't get any e-mail.

If you are an admin, go to your personal settings, point "E-mail notification" and activate at least "once a new user has signed up". You'll get an email in the future, when a visitor registers him-/herself.

When I logged in as an admin, I didn't have any easily visible notification of the fact, either, Only when I got into "Users", I found out that one of them is locked.

Point taken. See issue #62.

Then I unlocked the test user and he did not receive any e-mail notification about it.

We are aware of this misbehaviour. We had a thread about it in German language a few months ago and a fix for the next version. See admin.inc.php, line #863 ff.

Should the process really look this way?

No it shouldn't and it won't in future versions.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

OK, thanks

by glorifyday, Thursday, October 27, 2016, 15:08 (2710 days ago) @ Auge

Ok, that's new. The user shouldn't get an email with an activation link. At least an activation should not be successful this way.

He didn't try to click. We don't know what would happen.

If you are an admin, go to your personal settings, point "E-mail notification" and activate at least "once a new user has signed up". You'll get an email in the future, when a visitor registers him-/herself.

OK, I'll try this.

Thanks for thinking about it.

by glorifyday, Friday, October 28, 2016, 10:45 (2709 days ago) @ Auge

This works OK, and resolves one side of the problem. Maybe this particular setting should be a default? I know there are pros and cons...

The unlocked user should anyway get the notification. But you said you work on this.

So, thanks again :ok:.

by Auge ⌂, Friday, October 28, 2016, 13:25 (2709 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hallo

If you are an admin, go to your personal settings, point "E-mail notification" and activate at least "once a new user has signed up".

This works OK, and resolves one side of the problem. Maybe this particular setting should be a default? I know there are pros and cons...

I don't know a contra. IMHO this is a good idea for admins and mods.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

I mean - some admins/mods wouldn't want to...

by glorifyday, Saturday, October 29, 2016, 00:02 (2708 days ago) @ Auge

...anyway they could switch it off later (and on the other hand - this option is easy to overlook at first glance and then you miss notifications that you would likely want to get), so I feel convinced.

RSS Feed of thread