After updating 2.3 to 2.3.7 - questions (General)

by glorifyday, Wednesday, October 19, 2016, 23:33 (2717 days ago)

Hi,

I updated our forum from 2.3 to 2.3.7. Nothing blew up and it seems to work ;-).

Anyway, I have a question.

The instructions told me to upload modules folder to my forum from the 2.3.7 version (BTW: the instructions also mentioned some modules' subfolders specifically, which is misleading in this case if I already upload the whole modules folder).

After I've done this, it occurs that the modules folder on our forum has several files that are not present in 2.3.7 code:

modules\
  README.txt
modules\bad-behavior\bad-behavior\
  google.inc.php
  housekeeping.inc.php
  konqueror.inc.php
  lynx.inc.php
  mozilla.inc.php
  msie.inc.php
  msnbot.inc.php
  opera.inc.php
  safari.inc.php
  trackback.inc.php
  version.inc.php
  yahoo.inc.php
modules\smarty\plugins\
  block.php.php
modules\smarty\sysplugins\
  smarty_internal_config.php
  smarty_internal_filter.php
  smarty_internal_filter_handler.php
  smarty_internal_function_call_handler.php
  smarty_internal_get_include_path.php
  smarty_internal_register.php
  smarty_internal_utility.php
  smarty_internal_wrapper.php
  smarty_internal_write_file.php

Are these files no longer needed? Should I remove them?

After updating 2.3 to 2.3.7 - questions

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 06:58 (2717 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hi,

The instructions told me to upload modules folder to my forum from the 2.3.7 version (BTW: the instructions also mentioned some modules' subfolders specifically, which is misleading in this case if I already upload the whole modules folder).

Yes, you are right. This happens, if you skip some updates. I will take a closer look to the update script. However, I recommend to replace the sub-folder in modules instead of replacing some files in modules/subfolder/ because we never change/replace a single file of a module. We always update the complete external module.

Are these files no longer needed? Should I remove them?

We don't develop the modules itself. ;-) Of course, the file-tree can be changed by the developer group of the module.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by glorifyday, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 08:19 (2717 days ago) @ Micha

OK, thanks for your answer :ok:.

So, if I understand correctly, the old files that are missing in the new version, should be removed.

If this is true, I have the following suggestions for the update process description (to make it more straight and unequivocal):

• the 'How to update' description could be a bit more specific: what exactly to download, what to unpack, which files should be replaced before starting the update process,
  • the list of files/folders to be replaced is now described as the list of files/folders to be uploaded. I think that 'replaced' would be a more precise word,
  • the list of files/folders to be replaced should be unambiguous (e.g. there's no need to list subfolders, if a folder is already listed).

P.S.
I hope you find my suggestions at least a bit useful and not a sheer criticism ;-). This is not my intention at all - I love my little forum! ;-).

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 08:40 (2717 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hi,

So, if I understand correctly, the old files that are missing in the new version, should be removed.

You can answer the question by yourself. We don't provide an update package and a separate package for a new/fresh installation. So, if one installed a fresh version: how to get the missing files? ;-)

If this is true, I have the following suggestions for the update process description (to make it more straight and unequivocal):

You can help us, if you not just list problems but also provide a suggestion for a solution. You can suggest a better description of the update process that we can include to the branch.

I think that 'replaced' would be a more precise word,

How to handle new files in your scenario?

the list of files/folders to be replaced should be unambiguous (e.g. there's no need to list subfolders, if a folder is already listed).

Yes. I add a script that filters duplicate entries but, unfortunately, I should retouch my work. :-/

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by glorifyday, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 14:25 (2717 days ago) @ Micha

We don't provide an update package and a separate package for a new/fresh installation.

OK, I didn't know that ;-) (I didn't install the forum).

So, if one installed a fresh version: how to get the missing files? ;-)

You're right! So I will delete the old files that are missing in the new release.

You can help us, if you not just list problems but also provide a suggestion for a solution. You can suggest a better description of the update process that we can include to the branch.

My fault is that I didn't make screenshots. Then I would be more precise and helpful in my suggestions.
Next time, then ;-).

I think that 'replaced' would be a more precise word,

How to handle new files in your scenario?

Right. I see your point.

My point is that when you "upload", you add or overwrite, but it doesn't well describe deletion of the files that are no longer needed.
I have no better word at the moment, however :-/.

by Micha ⌂, Thursday, October 20, 2016, 12:33 (2717 days ago) @ glorifyday

Hi,

the list of files/folders to be replaced should be unambiguous (e.g. there's no need to list subfolders, if a folder is already listed).

I overwork the script part. The result can be study here.

/Micha

--

RSS Feed of thread