Sender name and email of notification emails (General)

by mkjjj, Wednesday, August 03, 2016, 07:55 (2822 days ago)

Hi,

we've just transferred our forum to a new server (and a new hosting company). Everything works fine. But the notification emails have now 3 email adresses in the header. Let's assume the name of the forum is "My great Forum" and the domain is "forumdomain". I find the following in the email:

xxxx@12345.hostserver.com
yyyy@12345.hostserver.com
my great forum <notification@forumdomain>

Where do the both emails with the hostserver adresses come from? Can I change anywhere the sender name of the notification email?

Thank you!

Sender name and email of notification emails

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 07:36 (2821 days ago) @ mkjjj

Hello

I don't know the source of the behaviour, but I have a guess.

we've just transferred our forum to a new server (and a new hosting company). Everything works fine. But the notification emails have now 3 email adresses in the header. Let's assume the name of the forum is "My great Forum" and the domain is "forumdomain". I find the following in the email:

xxxx@12345.hostserver.com
yyyy@12345.hostserver.com
my great forum <notification@forumdomain>

Where do the both emails with the hostserver adresses come from?

I assume, it comes from the email server of your new hoster.

Can I change anywhere the sender name of the notification email?

If I'm right, ask the hosting company (FAQ, technical customer service) for the sendmail or mailserver parameter, that you need to send mails via the PHP-function mail(). In many cases it is something like -f emailaddress@example.com. Put the parameter into the enhanced settings, field named mail_parameter.

Then it should work (in case my assumption is correct).

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by mkjjj, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 10:52 (2821 days ago) @ Auge

The sender name was an easy one: I changed the email field in the settings to "name <notification@forumdomain>".

The all-inkl. support, however, has no idea where the additional email adresses come from. And these guys really know their stuff.And I have no clue either. In addition to that the return path in the email header is set to info@domain.de. But there is no such email. Where does it come from? It is 100% not in the database. I'm pretty stuck here.

Thanks, Mike

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, August 04, 2016, 12:22 (2821 days ago) @ mkjjj

Hello

The sender name was an easy one: I changed the email field in the settings to "name <notification@forumdomain>".

Aha. This should be a task for the "-f"-parameter, that I mentioned.

In addition to that the return path in the email header is set to info@domain.de. But there is no such email. Where does it come from? It is 100% not in the database. I'm pretty stuck here.

No, it's not set by the script. Eventually this is the problem. The sending email server (for example: sendmail, dovecot) complements absent email header by itself. One is the return path, an address, that should be used as answer-to-address in the case, when the sender address itself is not reachable for answers.

Please ask all-inkl, if and how you can set the return path with a parameter. If it's not possible, the script itself must be altered to provide the header.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread