Mozilla Navigation Problem (Bugs)

by hintersatz, Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 15:50 (2871 days ago)

Hi there,
since a few weeks a problem occoured when using my litte forum with mozilla firefox.
When clicking "Back to forum index" not the first page of the threadlist is displayed, but the second, when pressing F5 the 3rd, 4th an s.o.
Using Internet explorer everything happens as usual.
Perhaps anybody who has faced the same problem ?
Sinceely yours ;-)
js
www.pfeifenorgelforum.net

Mozilla Navigation Problem

by Gary787, Thursday, June 16, 2016, 00:33 (2871 days ago) @ hintersatz

I had two users report the same problem. I can't seem to replicate it on my machine(s) though.

by Jeff Jones @, Thursday, June 16, 2016, 04:09 (2871 days ago) @ Gary787

Use the "Next" button to navigate to a previous page. Then return to messages.
It will then take you to the top of page rather than the first page. It will then do the same from any page, taking you to page 2.

Jeff

by hintersatz, Thursday, June 16, 2016, 06:54 (2871 days ago) @ Gary787

It seems that the problem occured the first time with firefox ver.47,
so it might be a problem with firefox and not with the forum script.

by lfry @, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 03:16 (2869 days ago) @ hintersatz

I have been having this problem as well. I contacted the FF people and they could replicate the problem only with a new profile. Old profiles worked as usual. Several other users have reported that the forums they are using that use mlf are having he same problem. mlf works with ie11, edge, chrome etc. but has this bug with FF. I wish someone from mlf would contact the FF admin coders and see if a fix could be worked out between mlf and FF. I like both products but refuse to use the other browsers due to issues with the manufacturers. Thanks to the mlf folks for their product as well.

by lfry @, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 20:54 (2868 days ago) @ lfry

This is what the FF person sent me:

I can reproduce the problem in a new profile. As far as I can tell, Firefox sends the identical information to the server: same referring page address, same cookies (of course, the session cookie itself and last visit time are different), on both my old profile and the new profile. That's why it's so puzzling that the server responds with a different page.
I don't see any progress toward a fix over on the My Little Forum forum, but it was just reported yesterday: http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=8967
(This forum is open source, but trying to read PHP makes me soooo tired.)

Has anyone looked into this issue? Would really appreciate some feedback or is there another place to report bugs?

by hintersatz, Sunday, June 19, 2016, 03:04 (2868 days ago) @ lfry

From my point of view it is the right place here to discuss bugs.
The question could be, what has changed in FF's Server request compared to the versions before v47 ?

by lfry @, Sunday, June 19, 2016, 20:57 (2867 days ago) @ hintersatz

I do not know is the answer to both questions. I am a hardware engineer not an IT guy. Normally before I retired I would have called IT and they would have handled it. Now, I have to rely on the good will of others to help with a bug. If there is another place that I should post a bug report I will be happy to do so. I have reported it on FF and you saw their response. I wish I could get the developers on both sides to look at it and figure out what is wrong and fix it. Both programs are great programs and are used by more technical people that any other browser of forum generator that is in the commercial world. At least I get a response from someone on here which is more than I can say for MS or other well known commercial enterprises.

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:02 (2866 days ago) @ lfry

Hello

This is what the FF person sent me:

I can reproduce the problem in a new profile. As far as I can tell, Firefox sends the identical information to the server: same referring page address, same cookies (of course, the session cookie itself and last visit time are different), on both my old profile and the new profile. That's why it's so puzzling that the server responds with a different page.
I don't see any progress toward a fix over on the My Little Forum forum, but it was just reported yesterday: http://mylittleforum.net/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=8967
(This forum is open source, but trying to read PHP makes me soooo tired.)

It's not nice to blame someone else for the misbehaviour of a (IMHO) misfeature of my software (Firefox).

Has anyone looked into this issue? Would really appreciate some feedback or is there another place to report bugs?

In general, you are at the right place for the first step. I looked into it and the only thing I saw, that points to the wrong pages, was the crappy prefetching "feature" of Firefox. As I disabled it, the bug was gone.

The prefetching should load one (or some?) pages into the browser cache in the hope, that you will open one of these pages in the next step. The advantage: the preloaded page will load faster. The harm: aside from privacy aspects and uncalled traffic, in our case the preloaded pages are exactly the ones, that are shown after clicking the "back to forum index" or the "actualise" button.

As said before, after disabling the … ahem … "feature" I didn't observe this misbehaviour again. On the other side, this "feature" is not a brand new "feature" [1]. Anything changed in the latest versions of Firefox. The bug appears in my Firefox after the update from version 45.0.2 to version 47.0.

At this moment I see no solution for the problem on the side of mlf. On the other hand it's no solution to point your users to disable the prefetching. It's easy to do it, but your users will get a warning that will discourage many of them.

I will investigate …

Tschö, Auge

[1]: I found a guide to disable the feature from the year 2007.

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

Mozilla Navigation Problem, possible interim solution

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 09:19 (2866 days ago) @ hintersatz

Hello

since a few weeks a problem occoured when using my litte forum with mozilla firefox.
When clicking "Back to forum index" not the first page of the threadlist is displayed, but the second, when pressing F5 the 3rd, 4th an s.o.

I think I found a workaround after ranting and reading some documents.

The documentation of the prefetching "feature" in the MDN says, that link elements with the relations "next" and "prefetch" are affected by the prefetching. The most pages of the forum has a <link rel="next"> in their document heads.

A first (from my side untested!) interim solution could be, to deactivate this link. To do this open the main.tpl of the used template (in themes/default/ or themes/your_template/) and change the code

{if $link_rel_next}
<link rel="next" href="{$link_rel_next}" />
{/if}

to

{if $link_rel_next}
<!--link rel="next" href="{$link_rel_next}" /-->
{/if}

You'll find the code in the lines #23 to #25 (in the actual mlf2-version 2.3.5) of the named file. Please test it and give a report.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

RSS Feed of thread