Don't want to leave Mylittleforum but ... (General)

by needhelp2, Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 06:05 (2893 days ago)

We have been using MLF for many years now, absolutely love it, it is light weight, loads extremely fast and with a clean easy to follow user interface that my forum members love.

However, it seems that this forum is not keeping up with the latest in forum development in recent years, for one thing, the forum is not fully responsive so now it has become a liability when these days over half of our site's visitors are using mobile devices.

Has anyone looked into newer breeds such as the likes of Flarum.org or discourse.org ?

Would appreciate any feedback before I jump ship to another platform.

Thanks

Don't want to leave Mylittleforum but ...

by hintersatz, Friday, June 17, 2016, 17:59 (2870 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hi,
what exactly is the Problem using MLF with mobile devices ? It's fast and quickly loading...

Don't want to leave Mylittleforum but ...

by Muli, Saturday, June 18, 2016, 16:07 (2869 days ago) @ hintersatz

That's really a problem... it's one of the best discussion boards, but the responsive support is missing and makes it "unusable". Speed is okay and great, but font-sizes and the flow of the threaded elements and so on... mmmrrrr. :(

I've created a screenshot of my phone with a standard smartphone-browser and it looks like that: http://muli.cc/i/c4f86.png

You can tweak some stuff with the code below in the header, but there are many more problems - also navigation-buttons and so on.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />

You can use the linear-modus, but only, if there aren't too many replies (padding left).

Don't have this problem

by Jean-Michel2, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 07:59 (2865 days ago) @ Muli

Hello,

Reading this post, I tried on my HTC One M7 w/ legacy browser and FF and I don't get the problem. So maybe depend on the phone/browser?

[image]

We need a responsive template!

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:08 (2865 days ago) @ Jean-Michel2

Hello

Reading this post, I tried on my HTC One M7 w/ legacy browser and FF and I don't get the problem. So maybe depend on the phone/browser?

Maybe that, but …

[image]

… the screenshot shows the problem. You have to zoom in for every action. You have to do it for reading, for navigating, writing, …

I don't know the volume of the necessary changes in the HTML-code. At minimum we need a new HTML5-main-template and a new CSS-ruleset.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by needhelp2, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 01:27 (2864 days ago) @ Auge

Mobile responsive is the most important for me right now. Over 50% of my site's visitors access using mobile devices, so I am losing a lot of traffic everyday because the forum is not mobile responsive.

by Auge ⌂, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 08:45 (2864 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hello

Mobile responsive is the most important for me right now.

I am working on a template. A link to the repository will follow. BUT: I can't and won't make promises about the date of completion. The main purpose of my work is to pay my rent and food.

Tschö, Auge

--

by needhelp2, Thursday, June 23, 2016, 15:48 (2864 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

Mobile responsive is the most important for me right now.

I am working on a template. A link to the repository will follow. BUT: I can't and won't make promises about the date of completion. The main purpose of my work is to pay my rent and food.

Tschö, Auge

How about we crowd fund and compensate you for creating a mobile responsive template with certain design elements included?

What would be a reasonable compensation that is worthwhile for your time to take on this project?

I actually paid for a developer to create a mobile responsive template for me already, but the design was very "raw" didn't meet my expectations and it wasn't 100% fully mobile responsive for some reason, so I didn't follow through and started exploring other forum options that already come ready with mobile responsive features .

I am hoping for a modern slick design similar to the new platforms out there such as www.Flarum.org or www.Discourse.org or Nodebb.org, these ones have the latest technologies and the most modern look which I like very much. Is it possible accomplish these types of designs?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Needhelp2

by hintersatz, Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 20:29 (2859 days ago) @ needhelp2

I am hoping for a modern slick design similar to the new platforms out there such as www.Flarum.org or www.Discourse.org or Nodebb.org, these ones have the latest technologies and the most modern look which I like very much. Is it possible accomplish these types of designs?

Flarum is nice looking, it loads very slow and there are no trees in the discussion like in MLF.
Do we compare apples with strawberries ?

by needhelp2, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 04:02 (2858 days ago) @ hintersatz

Correct, none of the newer forum platforms offer THREAD (tree) view.

I like the option to have THREAD view but I am totally fine to do without it and just use the linear board view. I am not a developer but I would assume it is more difficult to customize a truly mobile responsive template that can handle Thread view effectively.

larum is my favorite because it does look very nice, if you read their intro, they say it is by far the fastest and most light weight, so I am not sure why it is not loading fast on your browser.

I tested Flarum both on my desktop and mobile devices, they do load very fast even for posts that have almost 100 posts in it. If there is a way to customize Mylittleforum to look and function more like Flarum, that would be ideal.

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 05:25 (2858 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hi,

I like the option to have THREAD view but I am totally fine to do without it and just use the linear board view. I am not a developer but I would assume it is more difficult to customize a truly mobile responsive template that can handle Thread view effectively.

You should take a look to the selfhtml-Forum. This forum has thread-view and a usable mobile version, e.g. https://forum.selfhtml.org/self

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 09:10 (2858 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

You should take a look to the selfhtml-Forum. This forum has thread-view and a usable mobile version, e.g. https://forum.selfhtml.org/self

This is a very nice piece of software. But it has some requirements (i.e. Ruby instead PHP), that can not be satisfied by every ones hosting package. SelfHTML hosts their forum on a dedicated server under own control. So they do not have any problems with their own requirements.

Tschö, Auge

--

by Micha ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 17:18 (2858 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

This forum has thread-view and a usable mobile version

But it has some requirements (i.e. Ruby instead PHP), that can not be satisfied by every ones hosting pack.

I focused on the mobile version as an example for a thread-view forum. This mobile version is independent of the used technique.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:09 (2858 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

This forum has thread-view and a usable mobile version

But it has some requirements (i.e. Ruby instead PHP), that can not be satisfied by every ones hosting pack.

I focused on the mobile version as an example for a thread-view forum. This mobile version is independent of the used technique.

Although there is no mobile version in itself, the cforum with the SelfForum layout has a well usable, good mobile layout definition. As an active user in the SelfHTML community I can tell you all, it was a long way to this satisfying status. It wasn't done within a few days.

Tschö, Auge

--

by needhelp2, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:15 (2858 days ago) @ Micha

Hi,

regards
Micha

THANKS, that site has a very nice design !! I still need to do a little bit of scrolling once I am reading the inner posts with indentation within a thread but that is acceptable, still functioning very well.

The design looks so much different from Mylittleform, I guess he has done a lot of work customization everything from the ground up. Good job, very inspiring to see that this can be accomplished using Mylittleforum.

My little forum != cforum

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 16:31 (2858 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hello

The design looks so much different from Mylittleform, I guess he has done a lot of work customization everything from the ground up. Good job, very inspiring to see that this can be accomplished using Mylittleforum.

You got it wrong! The SelfHTML-Forum is not driven by "My Little Forum". They use cforum (v4.x), a software,made by one of the forum members.

Tschö, Auge

--

My little forum != cforum

by needhelp2, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 19:29 (2858 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

You got it wrong! The SelfHTML-Forum is not driven by "My Little Forum". They use cforum (v4.x), a software from one of the forum members.

Tschö, Auge

AHH !! The THREAD (tree) view looks so much like Mylittleforum, I thought it was customized using mylittleforum.

I will check out Cforum for sure...

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 10:28 (2858 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hello

Link to the Github repository.

How about we crowd fund and compensate you for creating a mobile responsive template with certain design elements included?

I've nothing against to get an additional payment, but my main focus lies on my paid job. Thatswhy (again): I can't promise anything for the planning horizon. And thatswhy I find it a bit odd, to call for compensation from my side.

Not in the first steps. With a new theme I have control over the HTML and CSS sources. I can manipulate the Smarty sources at specific places, but not every part. Some features, that you can see here and there in other programs, are not possible in MLF without changes in the core (PHP sources). So these features are not in the focus of my attempt for a new template.

To clarify the amount of work:

- Use HTML5-elements instead the actual bunch of div-elements.
- linearise the content of the main template. Remove floats, multiple CSS-declarations with identical properties and values, etc. pp..
- Make a mobile aware stylesheet with the tidied code.
- Make a desktop stylesheet from the mobile aware stylesheet definitions.
- As last: define new colours and finally dimensions and corrections.

At least with the last point I will need help by the time. Until then I will post now and then about the progress.

Tschö, Auge

--

by needhelp2, Wednesday, June 29, 2016, 15:12 (2858 days ago) @ Auge

Hello

I've nothing against to get an additional payment, but my main focus lies on my paid job. Thatswhy (again): I can't promise anything for the planning horizon. And thatswhy I find it a bit odd, to call for compensation from my side.

Tschö, Auge

Yes, totally understand. We all have our primary obligations that we must attend to first. If there is anything we can help to speed up the development process, please post here.

Done ! from Mylittleforum to 100% fully mobile responsive

by needhelp2, Friday, November 04, 2016, 18:00 (2730 days ago) @ needhelp2

Hi All,

We have successfully transformed Mylittleforum to a 100% fully responsive platform that works on all devices large and small. The forum I manage is fairly large and thankfully the process to transform to a 100% mobile responsive version is a lot smoother than I had anticipated, there were very few problems during the whole process.

This is what the site's forum looks like now after the transformation ( h a i r s i t e . com), all contents inherited from mylittleforum. Even all users login usernames and passwords are migrated 100% with few issues. Only a tiny percentage of the users need to make minor adjustments to their usernames.

Mylittleforum has served our needs for almost 10 years. We still like the simplicity and clean user interface of mylittleforum, hopefully we may consider coming back to mylittleforum one day when there is a fully mobile responsive version available.

For those who think migrating from mylittleforum to a 100% mobile version is very difficult, it is actually not at all difficult and we have to sacrifice very little as far as contents, images or videos are concerned. All user uploaded images remain intact in the new forum.

Feel free to ask any questions if anyone is thinking of doing the same and need some advice, would be happy to give back to the community and help others.

RSS Feed of thread