Admin Moderator Email Notification Of Edited Posts (Features)

by Magma, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 13:27 (2943 days ago)

As admin or Moderator you can choose to get an email notification of every new post. It would also be nice to include edited posts, so you get an email notification when somebody edits their post too.

The email notification is a great feature for Moderators but if a standard user edits their post a week or a year later, the Moderator would not be aware of this as it also would not show in latest posts either.

Admin Moderator Email Notification Of Edited Posts

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 13:39 (2943 days ago) @ Magma

Hi,

if a standard user edits their post a week or a year later

You can restrict the time-span of modification to e.g. 24 h.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Auge ⌂, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 18:34 (2943 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

if a standard user edits their post a week or a year later

You can restrict the time-span of modification to e.g. 24 h.

An admin or moderator will neither be notified when the posting is changed within a day nor when it's changed after a week. To change that is the goal of the request.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 19:12 (2943 days ago) @ Auge

Hi,

An admin or moderator will neither be notified when the posting is changed within a day nor when it's changed after a week.

If you restrict the modification time to 24 h, the user cannot edit the post; if someone answered to the posting, the user cannot edit the post; if archiving is enabled; no-one can edit the post.

/Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

by Magma, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 20:03 (2943 days ago) @ Micha

Yes I understand you can limit the editing time but I like to give infinite time as users may want to add important info to a post or have a change of heart in what they said.

I tend to moderate my forum through the email notifications. For example

• User X puts his telephone number in a post
  • I get the email notification of the post and see he has put his telephone number in the post
  • It's against the rules so I go to my website and edit the telephone number out the post
  • A week or a month later User X edits the post and puts back his telephone number

In this situation I have no idea he has done this because

A. I never received a email notification
B. Edited threads do not show in the latest postings list or if you click to organise the threads as newest first.

by Micha ⌂, Tuesday, March 08, 2016, 21:12 (2943 days ago) @ Magma
edited by Auge, Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 11:52

Hi,

okay, but I don't like to get mails, because the user corrects spelling errors on the posting without using the preview-function.

/Micha

--

by Auge ⌂, Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 12:02 (2942 days ago) @ Micha

Hello

okay, but I don't like to get mails, because the user corrects spelling errors on the posting without using the preview-function.

Your point. I neither wanted to be needless spammed with a bunch of messages. And, after I read what Magma wrote, I support your opinion to restrict or forbid editing for others than moderators or admins. If one can't trust the users one can't allow them to edit their postings.

Tschö, Auge

--
Trenne niemals Müll, denn er hat nur eine Silbe!

by Magma, Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 13:54 (2942 days ago) @ Auge

I understand what your saying but whoever wrote the script gave the option to allow indefinite editing and to get email notifications of postings. So in turn if your offering these options in the standard script your really missing a key feature of getting a notification when a post is edited, that's just my observation and a basic flaw in my opinion.

If one can't trust the users one can't allow them to edit their postings.

That's difficult to say when you have hundreds of users of which the vast majority are trusted people, your always going to get a very small minority of idiots posting but why should the majority of good people be punished for this.

Your script offers indefinite editing and timed editing, if it offered a trusted user list who could edit their post any time that would be a different story.

But as it stands the majority of my users who are trusted want to be able to edit their posts anytime.

RSS Feed of thread